Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Largest Temperature Extremes In A Day That You've Experienced

Posted

I've noticed lately that a lot of places have had cold nights close or even below freezing and then basking in sunshine and warm temperatures into 20C+ in the day. It's not that big a surprise as Spring (and Autumn) are known for temperature extremes as the sun gets stronger you get warmer days but there is still an element of nights with some length and the temperature can really plummit - especially in favourable spots.

I can't point out a particular day that I've experienced that's seen frost at night and BBQ conditions at day, but I'm sure some folk on here have seen some interesting experiences of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes, 20.3C the max today and 0.5C the minimum.

Even more extreme in the frost hollows in N Yorkshire where one site got down to -3C and rose above 20C today.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The largest durinal ranges i believe were recorded in August 1995 in which minima was at or below 0C but maxima was above 30C.

Very large durinal ranges can occur in winter when you have snowcover and an inversion which cause very low minima but can see maxima rise to around 0C when low pressure approaches. 27th December 2010 was a good example in which parts of Wales got to around -20C but it was raining by evening.

Posted

I think the 24th May 2010 is my highest, with a max of 24.9C after a min of 4.6C here. It was only a sea breeze that stopped the temp reaching 26C or even 27C

Close to 18C ranges this week, might nudge 20C on Wednesday or Thursday I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The largest durinal ranges i believe were recorded in August 1995 in which minima was at or below 0C but maxima was above 30C.

Very large durinal ranges can occur in winter when you have snowcover and an inversion which cause very low minima but can see maxima rise to around 0C when low pressure approaches. 27th December 2010 was a good example in which parts of Wales got to around -20C but it was raining by evening.

Twas almost identical in the Scottish Highlands that year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Large diurnal ranges are not a feature of the weather where I live and the greatest I've recorded in the last 35 years is 14.9c on July 16th 2006. In the nearby valley the largest since 1986 is 20.1c on May 29th 1997 but the largest I've ever recorded, at a lower site, though not in a valley bottom, is 22.2c on April 8th 1969.

Posted

This current spell can't be far off for me, diurnal ranges close to/at 20C. Just goes to show that March is almost certainly the most "Continental" month of the year, you can scrape ice off your car windscreen early in the morning and sunbathe in the afternoon.

I think the highest temperature variation in a day that I have personally experienced is about 25C+ in Cyprus; under 10C in the morning up in the Troodos mountains to about 35C in the afternoon in Nicocia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I think the highest temperature variation in a day that I have personally experienced is about 25C+ in Cyprus; under 10C in the morning up in the Troodos mountains to about 35C in the afternoon in Nicocia.

Thats not in the same place though..thats like me saying i flew from Edmonton it was -35c and landed the same day in Singapore where it was +35C

Posted

Thats not in the same place though..thats like me saying i flew from Edmonton it was -35c and landed the same day in Singapore where it was +35C

If you want to be pedantic then yes, you're right, it still doesn't make my answer any less valid for the question asked. Besides, they are slightly closer than Alberta and SE Asia.

the current spell has definitely seen the largest daily swings i can remember in London in the last 15 years.

ground frost temps at night then 20 degrees in the day for the last few days - very unusual and very "continental"

cycling home across London this evening I could really feel the cold spots and currents in the shade of buildings, cool, cool areas where the sun hadn't got to in the day.

and then passing through very warm currents of air running all the way in patches through town as a result of the rapid daily heating & no wind. Cold blasts of air passing railway arches and dark alleys, retaining cold pools of air amongst the otherwise heated streets. we're talking 10 degrees difference between the space of a few hundred yards, as the sun set and the heat leached away.

quite unique in its extremity but absolutely delightful.

Edited by jamesay

I'm not sure of my largest dirurnal temperature range but yesterday must of been close to the largest, 0C minimum and 21C maximum.

TBH it doesnt feel that cold indoors in the early morning even though it gets down to around 0C night to night must be the effects of the strong persistent sunshine between dawn to dusk really warming up rooms exposed to sunlight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The official record was set at Altnaharra on 30 Dec 1995, the day it equalled the cold record too. -27.2C to +2.1C.

It just beat Tummelbridge which went from -7C to +22C on 9th May 1978.

Rickmansworth went from 1.1C to 29.4C on 29th August 1936.

All at very different times of year.

My mum's garden in Perthshire went from -2.0C to 21.4C on Tuesday which is quite a large range