Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Highest Temperature Rise In 1 Hour?

Posted

Does anyone happen to know what the highest temperature rise in the space of an hour is, for the UK? I doubt it's close to any record but Aboyne went from 1.0C at 8am to 10.0C at 9am, a rise of 9.0C in just an hour seems pretty impressive to me! Also, in what conditions and at what time of year are big temperature rises most likely to occur, on average?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

No idea.....but from 1c to 10c in an hour......roll on winter, sick of this abnormally warm, mind numbingly boring weather already!

Posted

No idea.....but from 1c to 10c in an hour......roll on winter, sick of this abnormally warm, mind numbingly boring weather already!

I'm actually starting to come around to be honest, there's nothing boring about snow and a potential record warm temperature being recorded on the same day. The massive temperature variations across the country is the only thing keeping me interested. Saying that, I would love to see an unsettled and cool April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

To some extent I agree. I enjoy warm weather, it's practical and I'll take advantage of it, but I crave variety, so will be hoping for a few storms and those 'sunshine and showers' days that are usually so common in April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

To some extent I agree. I enjoy warm weather, it's practical and I'll take advantage of it, but I crave variety, so will be hoping for a few storms and those 'sunshine and showers' days that are usually so common in April.

That's just it, there's been no variation for over a year here. At least the NE enjoyed some good storms last year.....here however it's been the same blandness day after day- one long boring rut into another long boring rut. Can't remember such a long bland spell before this.

The high either needs to pish off to the east or well south or west. Directly to the south of us or over the country are the worst possible locations for interesting weather to occur.

On a more serious level I really wonder what is causing these patterns to become entrenched for so long.....it's as if the whole circulation has become so sluggish.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

I've no idea but the 27C in two minutes at Spearfish, S. Dakota on the 22nd Jan. 1943 will take some beating. I'd hazard a guess and say it possibly could have ocurred in say N. Wales with a sudden onset of the Fohn wind.

Posted

From Trevor Harley's page:

Altnaharra went from -21.2C to -1.0C in under three hours in December 1995.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1995_weather.htm

Not quite one hour, but pretty impressive. The largest increases in short periods of time do often occur in spring though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When I was living in Glenurquhart, temps would often go up and down by 4 or 5C in minutes. We also experienced a similar rise to Altnaharra in 1995...

Posted

The highland area does seem the most susceptible to significant rises and falls in temperature in a short space of time. The temps rise like a balloon and drop like a stone at sunrise and sunset respectively.

It must be interesting to live in the Canadian Prairie provinces or the upper American Midwest, especially when them Chinooks roll in in winter, -20C to +20C in no time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Gotta love the Midwest/prairies climate!