Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Storm Chasers Needed

Lewis

Posted

Hi guys,

Myself and Dell Trott, and also Chris Johnson are setting up a network of storm chasers in the U.K. Some of us, either don't like flying, or cannot afford to get out to the states, but boy I bet its thrilling out there!

So we are trying to promote storm chasing in the U.K, and trying to develop a network of storm chasers, so we can chase, meet up etc and hopefully capture some of the best storms around the U.K

If you would like to become part of our network, you don't necessarily have to be a chaser to be part of what we are trying to do.

We have setup a facebook page in which you can like and follow our discussions/ideas;

https://www.facebook...320341941362083

And I'm currently working on the website for storm chases to be uploaded etc, and information. I'll be seeing if I can purchase some data feeds from Paul, CAPE, Lifted Index, and sheer vector charts etc so we can provide the modeled conditions whilst chasing.

Our website URL will be null

If it's ok in summer, we would like to keep everything in-house on the netweather forums, because netweather is very active, and it will be good for those that can't get to the U.S to get involved at home.

Our idea is a non profit idea, it is all community based, and we just want to have some fun whilst staying safe along the way. At the moment i'm currently investing in some streaming equipment. We will have our own private RTMP servers to upstream our live data, and we will be looking to give chasers around the UK their own private channel to stream too and record too.

If you want to be part of it, anyone is welcome, you may like our facebook page and we will post more information on there at a later date, and also this thread. :)

Looking forward to the first chase.

They'll never be any costs involved, it will always be free, as I will be putting in the funds to make this happen. It's a hobby :)

Lewis

Edited by ~SFL~

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I was thinking of something similar the other day, but flying.... as long as I keep 10nms away from oncoming Thunderstorms it's perfectly safe. What would be nice is to fly along the south coast and we can get a good look at some of the oncoming Summer Thunderstorms or if they stay in France and then make a run for it back to Biggin as they approach, if they did approach. Might provide some good filming opportunity, one problem it could be expensive, but I can stay up there for 4-5hrs on a tank of fuel, and fit 2-3 passengers, depending on weight. Builds my hours up.

And another thing, as long as the weather is VFR, I can take the aircraft to a nearby airfield to where the storms are approaching.... and use there WIFI to track the storms, take the aircraft up if it's safe... get 20-30 miles away get some images and fly away from them back to the Airport.

I could probably get you this close, but 30000ft lower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJznJfSbIg

Let me know what you think?

Regards,

Robbie

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

+100 to that Robbie ^^^^^^^^^^ - How cool would that be

Only problem I see is lack of thunderstorms anywhere near the Uk :rofl: - Just joking of course

Posted

+100 to that Robbie ^^^^^^^^^^ - How cool would that be

Only problem I see is lack of thunderstorms anywhere near the Uk :rofl: - Just joking of course

Well as long as I keep away as an area up to 25 – 30 nm from a large storm or an oncoming MCS, and 15 – 25 nm for a medium storm It can be done perfectly safe, as far as I am aware. But if France was getting all the fun, I can take the aircraft mid channel and you could probably get a good view from there, of some distance MCS/Supercells. As long as the air is clear and the oncoming storms are clearly avoidable, I'd have every reason to go up to see what they look like.

I can take 1 (me) + 2 passengers up to 6-7000ft (FL70) and you'd get a view like this of France. On a similar routing to this..

24461z9.png

421359_2920023394485_1077805596_2916968_1223864241_n.jpg

(Taken Mid English Channel)

408069_2920025794545_1077805596_2916973_1132889850_n.jpg

I am up for it and will pay 1/3 of the cost for 4-5hrs flying, if the aircraft is free. 4-5hrs your looking at £540 including fuel and water safety equipment (Locator beacon, dingy etc)

Posted

sounds interesting (the group that is). I am no good at flying, especially in small aircrafts!

Would be interested in chasing UK storms

Posted

Looks like we may be getting in the cars and heading through (or over) the Channel again as those pesky French and flatlanders take all the action!!!!!

I'll contribute where and when I can (work allowing)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Certainly interested in helping out Lewis, I'm often chasing all over the midlands during the summer time

Posted

All being well please count me in. A similar thing was attempted on UKww last year, but sadly it didn't seem to catch on. The lack of UK storms might have had something to do with that though !!

Just joined up

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Joined up on facebook - will deffo be chasing if we get any storms in the three counties region !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Well as long as I keep away as an area up to 25 – 30 nm from a large storm or an oncoming MCS, and 15 – 25 nm for a medium storm It can be done perfectly safe, as far as I am aware. But if France was getting all the fun, I can take the aircraft mid channel and you could probably get a good view from there, of some distance MCS/Supercells. As long as the air is clear and the oncoming storms are clearly avoidable, I'd have every reason to go up to see what they look like.

I can take 1 (me) + 2 passengers up to 6-7000ft (FL70) and you'd get a view like this of France. On a similar routing to this..

24461z9.png

421359_2920023394485_1077805596_2916968_1223864241_n.jpg

(Taken Mid English Channel)

408069_2920025794545_1077805596_2916973_1132889850_n.jpg

I am up for it and will pay 1/3 of the cost for 4-5hrs flying, if the aircraft is free. 4-5hrs your looking at £540 including fuel and water safety equipment (Locator beacon, dingy etc)

Oh comon! Surely VS would let you borrow one of their 744's or 346's for a few hours? :p

Posted

Oh comon! Surely VS would let you borrow one of their 744's or 346's for a few hours? :p

You would hope, but something like that can actually be organised if you got a group of 400 enthusiasts. They regularly do Enthusiastic flights.

But if anyone is up for it, and the aircraft is available... the long Summer days allow me to stay in the air till at least 9pm.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Good idea, Lewis. You'll probably want someone with a proven track record in convective storms forecasting. Whenever you get the time, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. No rush.

:lol:

Well, that's enough plugging for me! :winky: :lol:

How we getting on with this?

Rather than solely typing on a forum on a significant thunderstorm risk day chatting to other storm enthusiasts, we need to converge in an area and go on to chase the storms. We could even group into teams based on region of residence - e.g. team West Midlands. You know we'd always get the best footage, y'know... with me being on board and all...

I'm always available, just need folks to chip in with diesel...My potential chase region is drawing a line from say Crewe south to Gloucester, across to Milton Keynes and up to Nottingham....(and besides I can also see a few customers en route to earn a few quid...lol)

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am definitely interested in doing this, great idea Lewis. I have been chasing for a few years now, infact this summer will be my 9th year of storm chasing in the uk. I have a library of footage but want to get those really good storms that occur every so often and its difficult to navigate, drive and keep up to date with radar pictures at the same time on my own.

The area i am willing to chase is pretty much anywhere in the uk. I have been to all four corners of England and Wales chasing storms but I find the most common area for storms is the Midlands into Lincolnshire and up into East Yorkshire. West Yorkshire is pants for storms lol.

I have a laptop, camcorder, car, mobile internet. My only problem is time off work, but if the situation arose I could sort that.

My plan was to spend a week or two chasing in Florida this year but not sure my finances will stretch that far so its uk chasing again for me.

Posted

Probably going to want to extend that chase line eastward to include north Cambs and south Lincs. The latter is surely the storm capital of the UK. Better geographical landscape as well- being nice and flat.

Need to watch out for the locals though...don't they all have webbed feet or something (so Frankie Boyle told me), or is that Norfolk? :winky: :lol:

Guest QuantumSnow

Add me to the list, although being 'daahn saaf' means i'm usually well out of the way of most convective potential, though it never used to be that way :rolleyes:

Sadly work and study commitments interfere, but after June I will be free to drive for miles if necassary. Although I think Yorkshire will be pushing it a bit :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Flipflop, March 25, 2012 - .
Hidden by Flipflop, March 25, 2012 - .

Hi guys.

We all appreciate your support and are over the moon that you all feel this is a good idea but we are somewhat in the wars at the moment as i have a 8cm gash to the right hand (im a righty) so day to day tasks are interesting to say the least especially shaving!! might as well do it with a machete :o Chris has had a loss in the family :( Lewis has had a stint in hospital but seems to be recovering with a dose of fishing..................

Edited by Del Trott
Posted
Add me to the list, although being 'daahn saaf' means i'm usually well out of the way of most convective potential, though it never used to be that way :rolleyes: Sadly work and study commitments interfere, but after June I will be free to drive for miles if necassary. Although I think Yorkshire will be pushing it a bit :lol:

I've been considering heading down to the south coast and staying over when the next French imports grace our shores but the opportunity has not arisen as yet. You are right, the south and especially the south east used to be best for storms. But recently The Midlands appear to have taken the top spot, although last year i think the North East dwarfed everybody. The unpredictability of this country makes advance planning almost impossible.

Heres to a good 2012 for all of us.

Guest QuantumSnow

I've been considering heading down to the south coast and staying over when the next French imports grace our shores but the opportunity has not arisen as yet. You are right, the south and especially the south east used to be best for storms. But recently The Midlands appear to have taken the top spot, although last year i think the North East dwarfed everybody. The unpredictability of this country makes advance planning almost impossible.

Heres to a good 2012 for all of us.

Indeed Supacell, storms in this region were almost a given years ago and I looked forward to them (rather than prayed and begged for them!!). We seem to be in a no-mans-land now, caught between the north and midlands and the French.. it's like watching tennis :lol:

Good luck for 2012 up there :good:

Posted

And neither will West Yorkshire, i managed one thunderstorm overhead last year. Luckily i managed to catch a few by whizzing down the M62 into East Yorkshire. Who knows where this year will take me.

Posted

Yeah, re. unpredictability, I don't imagine you could be too specific with chase targets in this country lol. For example, on a lot of the storm risk days over the past few years most of the country has been at risk of seeing storms- a scenario which usually arises within post-frontal air masses, where CAPE pools across the country.

What I will say, though, is the West Midlands, no matter the setup, isn't going to be the place to see the storms this year. Or ever! :lol:

May 9th last year must have been a figment of my imagination....as was september 23rd the previous year, 2 of the best storms in the country in the past couple of years :lol:

Posted

I agree, the storm on the evening of September 23rd, 2010 was one of the best I've seen in recent years...

...The May 9th storm? ... nah, that was pants! :lol:

Yeah, I photoshopped the whole thing, in fact it was a lovely clear evening with just a few cirrus wisps! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

I was thinking of something similar the other day, but flying.... as long as I keep 10nms away from oncoming Thunderstorms it's perfectly safe. What would be nice is to fly along the south coast and we can get a good look at some of the oncoming Summer Thunderstorms or if they stay in France and then make a run for it back to Biggin as they approach, if they did approach. Might provide some good filming opportunity, one problem it could be expensive, but I can stay up there for 4-5hrs on a tank of fuel, and fit 2-3 passengers, depending on weight. Builds my hours up.

And another thing, as long as the weather is VFR, I can take the aircraft to a nearby airfield to where the storms are approaching.... and use there WIFI to track the storms, take the aircraft up if it's safe... get 20-30 miles away get some images and fly away from them back to the Airport.

I could probably get you this close, but 30000ft lower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJznJfSbIg

Let me know what you think?

Regards,

Robbie

Nice, as a fellow pilot i'd say that i wouldn't want to get within 10nm of a storm. Also if you went over the channel into a near supercell, i would want a lot of fuel :p

I fly a cessna 185, one of the few G registered planes!

Also, Sign me up for that! I won't be flying into storms but i can get some good pics looking into london from a local hill!

Posted

Hi Guys,

Finally the website is now live, i've been in and out of hospital over the past few weeks or so, but i've managed to get the website live, bear with us as there's a lot of work on the website to come.

I would like to request "if possible" someone to lead the forecasting of thunderstorms/severe weather, you can apply in this thread.

I'm still waiting on a reply from Paul for custom data sets in the form of feeds for the website (CAPE/LI etc).

The website URL is http://www.null/

The facebook page is: https://www.facebook...320341941362083

Hopefully we'll be able to have some chases soon, once this cooler weather decides to bugger off :)

For current members of the chase group/team if you add me to facebook https://www.facebook...yorksforecaster and send me your name of course, a little about yourself, and a picture if you have, and any specific special moments of magic with regards to you witnessing some serious weather/thunderstorms, i'll add you to the "meet the team section of the website".

Over the course of the next week or so i'll be working on live streaming media, and setting up all the custom RTMPS for users so they can use our server to stream too.

Looking forward to getting out soon guys! =D

UKSC team

Edited by ~SFL~

Posted

Its an interesting idea, and you've got to admire the guts of anyone willing to get anywhere near a storm system.

Posted

Certainly a good idea SFL, would be interested, being south central would add another area of coverage. The only limiting factor being storms! Cant remember the last decent storm we had down here on the coast!

Edited by Brad