Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Fabrice Muamba Collapses On Pitch During Fa Cup Match

Tottenham's FA Cup game against Bolton Wanderers has been abandoned after Trotters midfielder Fabrice Muamba collapsed and stopped breathing.

Medics spent 10 minutes trying to resuscitate the player on the field before the players were called off by referee Howard Webb.

BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis says the midfielder is fighting for his life.

The score was 1-1 when Muamba, 23, collapsed on 41 minutes.

Medical staff gave Muamba mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and tried torevive him with a defibrillator.

He was taken on the pitch on a stretcher and ESPN reported that he was not breathing as he was taken down the tunnel.

The former Arsenal midfielder has been taken to hospital.

MORE TO FOLLOW

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17417973

Sorry....I posted this on the Prem League thread, couldn't find anywhere else to put it. Grim news

Tottenham's FA Cup game against Bolton Wanderers has been abandoned after Trotters midfielder Fabrice Muamba collapsed and stopped breathing.

Medics spent 10 minutes trying to resuscitate the player on the field before the players were called off by referee Howard Webb.

BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis says the midfielder is fighting for his life.

The score was 1-1 when Muamba, 23, collapsed on 41 minutes.

Medical staff gave Muamba mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and tried torevive him with a defibrillator.

He was taken on the pitch on a stretcher and ESPN reported that he was not breathing as he was taken down the tunnel.

The former Arsenal midfielder has been taken to hospital.

MORE TO FOLLOW

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17417973

Devastating news and hopefully we won't end up being fatal. I wasn't watching the game but it must have been awful for managers, players, medics, fans and those at home watching the game.

Latest report from Real Radio North West say's that ambulance crews have got Fabrice muamba breathing again.

Lets pray this is true and if it is those medic's are heros

Breaking news

The hospital treating Fabrice Muamba have just released a statment saying he is in a Stable condition in hospital

Well done to all the medics involved.

:good:

Latest update from TalkSport is that the hospital have described Muambas condition as 'stable'. Hopefully a good sign. Good to see and hear so much support from so many in the oft maligned football family.

Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Think before you post.
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Think before you post.

I wonder what the cause was?

It could be a congenital defect or high blood pressure (a lot of athletes eat rubbish when not cutting) or even drugs (he would'nt be the first to have done coke).

Whatever the cause, I just hope the guy pulls through...

Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post you rightly criticised has been removed.
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post you rightly criticised has been removed.

It could be a congenital defect or high blood pressure (a lot of athletes eat rubbish when not cutting) or even drugs (he would'nt be the first to have done coke).

How dare you comment in such a way. Shocked at you.

It's not the best time to speculate and certainly not the time to even mention something like drugs - this situation requires a bit more empathy than that. I've heard nothing from BBC 5 Live, website or Sky Sports News about his condition being stable. Hopefully he does pull through as life is far more important than football. Hopefully we'll see fewer of these events in the future as everyone reacts differently to certain levels of fitness: someone could be very healthy and hard working but ends up fine whereas another very fit person could just collapse - sometimes an unfortunante series of events can cause these. The strain on Premier League footballers is awful - I'd say it's worse than in other European Leagues as it's just so demanding and everyone seems to train more and stuff.

Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post referred to has been deleted
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post referred to has been deleted

Not a very constructive comment, SB?

Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post referred to has been deleted
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, March 17, 2012 - Post referred to has been deleted

How dare you comment in such a way. Shocked at you.

Not a very constructive comment, SB?

Steady on Andy, SB is allowed to express his views as per forum guidelines (not that I agree with them)

Pete, if you think it's out of line, probably worth unapproving it? :)

Bolton have just released the following,

Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba "critically ill" in intensive care at the heart attack centre of the London Chest Hospital, club says

More to follow

A statment is due from the London Chest Hospital within the next few minutes this can be seen live on Sky news

Unfortunately this is not unknown in football. October 2010.

A chaotic scene was witnessed on Sunday during a football match between Spanish clubs Salamanca and Real Betis, when Salamanca player Miguel Garcia passed out on the field. Garcia, 31, lost consciousness as he ran for the ball in the 60th minute of the second division match in the El Helmantico Stadium in Salamanca.

Medical teams ran onto the field to resuscitate the player who lay motionless on the pitch, Xinhua reported.

Garcia needed nine minutes of treatment before regaining consciousness. He was then taken by ambulance to a hospital for further treatment.

Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta died of a heart attack during the 2007-2008 season, while Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque died after suffering a stroke while training in Italy with his club in 2009.

I sincerely hope he recovers but at the moment the sight of 22 little coffins being carried off an aircraft in Belgium is difficult to dislodge.

While it is good news that he is breathing again, he is not yet out of the woods, fingers crossed he makes it.

A chaotic scene was witnessed on Sunday during a football match between Spanish clubs Salamanca and Real Betis, when Salamanca player Miguel Garcia passed out on the field. Garcia, 31, lost consciousness as he ran for the ball in the 60th minute of the second division match in the El Helmantico Stadium in Salamanca.

Medical teams ran onto the field to resuscitate the player who lay motionless on the pitch, Xinhua reported.

Garcia needed nine minutes of treatment before regaining consciousness. He was then taken by ambulance to a hospital for further treatment.

Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta died of a heart attack during the 2007-2008 season, while Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque died after suffering a stroke while training in Italy with his club in 2009.

I sincerely hope he recovers but at the moment the sight of 22 little coffins being carried off an aircraft in Belgium is difficult to dislodge.

What happened in Switzerland was indeed dreadful.

I remember those events. Phil O'Donnel at Motherwell was another. As I said earlier, in football no one is safe from heart-attacks and you can't tell who may get one as even some very healthy people can collapse at very short-notice. Infact, just trying to keep fit and keep up that intense healthy lifestyle could cause it - I wish that football would become a more enjoyable occupation and take it a little more easy rather than being an incredible intense and stressful job for some who work so hard at it that it doesn't do anyone any good. Sky Sports News say he is "critically ill" in intensive care so it still doesn't sound good.

I hope he makes a full recovery. Puts everything into perspective, a seemingly fit and healthy man of my age going down like that. It's been a real downer on what has been/will be a great weekend of sport. All the best to him, family and friends.

Statement on Bolton Wanderers Official website...

Bolton Wanderers can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has been admitted to the Heart Attack Centre at the London Chest Hospital where he is currently in a critically ill condition in intensive care.

No further information will be issued at this stage.

The club has requested the media to respect his family's privacy at this time.

Hope him all the best, no matter how healthy you are, all the running and training professional athletes do it must put huge strain on the heart. Its rare but some times the strain gets to much........

Hope him all the best and makes a good recovery, then retires from the game.

Blimey, a footballer with a genuine reason to collapse on a football pitch. Not seen this in my lifetime! (a poor joke but...)

I hope he makes a full recovery. Puts everything into perspective, a seemingly fit and healthy man of my age going down like that. It's been a real downer on what has been/will be a great weekend of sport. All the best to him, family and friends.

Good grief is that important?

It's scary how often this happens in football, considering how fit and athletic these players are.

It's good that he's still alive - let's hope it stays that way.

Good grief is that important?

What exactly is your problem? I would love to know what I said that has seemingly upset you so much, especially when other members are making light hearted jokes and speculating on the poor lads condition. If my comments were so offensive I would invite the mods to deal with it as they see fit.

Blimey, a footballer with a genuine reason to collapse on a football pitch. Not seen this in my lifetime! (a poor joke but...)

Not only poor but tasteless as well :bad:

Not only poor but tasteless as well :bad:

Your right, it was - sorry about that. Obviously I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. I was just taking a dig at all the namby pamby footballers that do fall to the floor in the weak attempt to get a penalty, then when that doesn't work, jump up and forget they were in terrible pain 30 seconds before hand.