Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Atd Lightning Detection

Paul

Posted

We have just launched our new lightning detection system which used the ATD lightning data from the Met Office (considered to be the most accurate lightning detection available.

The V6 radar is already using this for the lightning overlay, but we now also have standalone detectors:

Free:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Extra:

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=lightning;sess=

This does mean that the strikestar system has now been switched off as it's not viable to run both, we will be in touch directly with those who have been contributing to the network.

Thanks

Paul

Posted

Thanks Paul for adding extra functions to what is already great functionality, looking towards summer storms.

Edited by Dorsetbred

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

As far as I'm aware, the met office ATDnet accuracy for the UK is within 2km (can find various sources quoting this figure inc documents from the WMO), according to Vaisala's own website their global product is accurate to 'within 10km'.

Posted

As far as I'm aware, the met office ATDnet accuracy for the UK is within 2km (can find various sources quoting this figure inc documents from the WMO), according to Vaisala's own website their global product is accurate to 'within 10km'.

Okay Paul, I maybe was thinking more about the US rather than global where I believe it has a median location accuracy of 250-500m or better. Reminds me of the days when we had to sit in front of an ossiloscope for ten minutes every hour.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah well turned my feed for netweather as soon as this was announced still haven't heard anything from you though.

Posted

We're slowly working through all of the strikestar contributors - unfortunately the list of everyone's email wasn't complete so we're having to go through each station and hunt email addresses down from old messages etc.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Like it however it seems very slow updating, for example a strike is still showing from north of Coventry when it occurred just before 1500.

Posted

The free version updates every 15 minutes and the extra version updated every 5 minutes, both around 6-8 minutes behind realtime (so they will update to the 1200 data at around 1208 as an example).

They also show the lightning for the last 60 minutes, they would show that strike if it occurred at 1500 until 1600. (the timing of the strikes is shown by the colour of the strike marker).