Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Memories Of November/december 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Was a great winter, snow arrived on 28th Nov, 2cms, then main snow arrived on 30th Nov, 1st Dec very snowy, then around 6pm on the 3rd front moved in from the NW and gave another 3cms of snow. Sat 4th less cold and a slight thaw

then 6th-8th was the fantastic rime, 9th rain, sleet and snow moved in from the NW, then a less cold week

evening of 16th came colder from the north, dusting of snow, further dusting on 17th, Sat 18th was very good around 7cms of snow

19th-21st cold and dry very little thaw

22nd was fantastic, around 8cms of snow morning

23rd a few snow flurries

very cold Xmas eve, Xmas day coldest ever with a max of -5.1C, min of -11.5C

boxing day -11.1C min, another ice day

27th Dec wet snow most of the day, thaw of snow

28th-31st mainly mild

1-8 Jan cold at times with snow

9 Jan winter over

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Copy and Pasted from another thread on here:

Well this was recent so we can all remember. My area had thigh high snow (we are the top of a hill so it seems to collect there somewhat). The cars were buried up to their doors and you simply couldn't move them. My road and the surrounding ones were closed so you couldn't go to work (oh no, what a shame!). Again the gritters were not prepared so they couldn't deal with the snow which brought most of Kent to a standstill. More sledging fun was had by all. We took some dofgs for a walk which was almost impossible for them but they thouroughly enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever seen snow that deep in the UK.

The weathermen and women were surprised at just how heavy it had been and when questioned when it was going to end they said they didn't know! Thames streamers kept fuelling it and just when you thought it had stopped, it roared back into life. Hope we see more snow like that every year.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by rob48, March 4, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by rob48, March 4, 2012 - No reason given

Lovely spell of weather.

6th December was a beautiful morning.

Posted

For me the most memorable aspects of the cold spell were:

River Kent freezing over by the 20th December - the last time it did this so I'm told was in winter 81/82.

The potent cold of late November - such low temps for so early in the season beating the likes of Nov 85 and 93.

The surprise snowfall on Christmas Day - wasn't forecast, but we managed an hour and half of lovely big snowflakes late morning - superb timing, couldn't have been timed any better.

9 day spell of sub zero temps between 18th-26th Dec.

However, on the snowfall front it never deliverd much to these parts. Dec 09 was far better for heavy snowfall, and the snow lasted through to new year away from low ground. The most dissapointing aspect of the cold period was high suddenly it ended on the 28th after heavy snow on the 27th - we then saw a rapid thaw.

If I could have such a spell of weather as we saw between 24th Nov - 27th Dec, I'd move it forward 3 weeks (15th Dec - 17th Jan) thus ensuring a bitter christmas - new year period with the cold lasting right through to mid Jan - the cold would have been even more severe had it occured later. Optimum time for cold to start in earnest for me in winter is around 15-18 Dec and preferably to stick around until early-mid Feb. Winter 09/10 was superior to winter 10/11 in this respect with cold starting around the said period - although it didn't last through to Feb - a temporary milder spell mid-late jan occured.

Posted

For me the most memorable aspects of the cold spell were:

9 day spell of sub zero temps between 18th-26th Dec.

However, on the snowfall front it never deliverd much to these parts. Dec 09 was far better for heavy snowfall, and the snow lasted through to new year away from low ground. The most dissapointing aspect of the cold period was high suddenly it ended on the 28th after heavy snow on the 27th - we then saw a rapid thaw.

If I could have such a spell of weather as we saw between 24th Nov - 27th Dec, I'd move it forward 3 weeks (15th Dec - 17th Jan) thus ensuring a bitter christmas - new year period with the cold lasting right through to mid Jan - the cold would have been even more severe had it occured later. Optimum time for cold to start in earnest for me in winter is around 15-18 Dec and preferably to stick around until early-mid Feb. Winter 09/10 was superior to winter 10/11 in this respect with cold starting around the said period - although it didn't last through to Feb - a temporary milder spell mid-late jan occured.

Second cold spell of December 2010 wasn't brilliant on the snow front with just a cm or two until heavy snow early on Christmas Day that added an extra 2cm. If would prefer to have a cold spell like this during a time frame similar to 2009/2010 but with the intensity of November - December 2010. Preferably, a dream but unlikely scenario would be for a repeat of Late November/Early December 2010, then a lull then the second cold spell as cold as December 2010 but as prolonged and snowy as 2009/2010.

Posted

Second cold spell of December 2010 wasn't brilliant on the snow front with just a cm or two until heavy snow early on Christmas Day that added an extra 2cm. If would prefer to have a cold spell like this during a time frame similar to 2009/2010 but with the intensity of November - December 2010. Preferably, a dream but unlikely scenario would be for a repeat of Late November/Early December 2010, then a lull then the second cold spell as cold as December 2010 but as prolonged and snowy as 2009/2010.

Indeed an ideal winter for me would be winter 2010/2011 and winter 2009/2010 bookended with a repeat of winter 2010/2011 up until the 26th December followed by a repeat of winter 09/10 as it happened from the 17th December this would ensure a wonderful white new year. Looking at the timescales the following would occur -

Nov 24th - Dec 26th as 2010

Dec 27th as Dec 17th 2009, New Years Eve being akin to the cold of Dec 21st just after the heavy snowfalls of the 20th. Cut off for the winter conditions say 7th March 2010 - so cold would last through to mid March. Scotland would have experienced heavy snow on the 10th April (10 days forward from the snow event of 31 March 2010).

It will never happen like this though..

Posted

Those forecasts do bring back some memories but does anyone have any videos or photos you'd like to share. Also, has anyone got some radar images of the cold spell. That would bring back a lot of memories, particulary those of the easterly of the first cold spell.