Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Moving from the end of what has been for many a disappointing Winter into Spring.. Will it / Won't it deliver another cold blast..

Thank you to everyone who has posted and visited the various Scotland Regional Threads over this season - you have helped make this again one of the most entertaining threads on Net Weather.

Late February and March discussion continues here...

Old thread here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72474-scotland-regional-discussion-cold-spell-part-2/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Well I was sweating buckets after jogging this morning, definitely felt like a day in April. But, by about 2 pm it was fierce and cold in the wind. If we are making the move into Spring permanently then I'm hoping for a nice, dry and sunny one!

Posted

Cooler today with a strong W wind but sunny.

Lorenzo thought it was the ISS this evening in the very clear sky should have consulted Aurora Storm my daughter being the resident astrophysicist in the family. Miss Northernlights helps her father though when there are very technical discussions when my basic physics education is a little lacking.

Very tempting to sow into the drying ground but it is still cold and have been tempted in the past only to see an emerging crop struggle in either cold rain or snow at this time of year, end of March or early April will do fine here at our latitude and altitude.

Currently 5.7c and clear.

Posted

Quality Cheggers, really clear night tonight looked pretty impressive early evening.

Found this one on flickr and this one :ph34r:

Posted

This one is of an actual heavenly object...

Displays a feature called Earthlight or Earthshine where the area of the moon not illuminated by the sun is bluish grey and lit up by sunlight reflecting from the Earth.... mind boggling..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cj5ive/6780501866/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

You daft loons! :)

If we're into spring, then I'm spring-cleaning, so I'm hoping for a dry, bright, breezy weekend for all the laundry to line-dry outside. I love line-dried towels, none of your soft fluffy tumble-dried nonsense for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Heavenly bodies indeed, this is a family forum - apparently. It was clear enough for Mars yesterday evening I think. And that was a cracking video of the snowy car journey, SS.

I got my snow yesterday, was up the north-west hills, snow falling above about 750m. Big pi55er (©Blitzen) of the day was camera failure - the zoom just kept on randomly zooming. Pff. So I mi55ed some stunning shots of rainbows against sunlit snowy mountain scenery amongst others. Off to find new camera pronto - that one was old and the shot count was over 12k.

Back to reality this morning... 5C & drizzly pish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

7.4c/1.5c WSW. A wee light shower this morning and feels a bit chilly in the breeze but catching some sunny spells. Going to have a look in the model thread to see if anyone has posted anything of interest - (either way!)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Like this in the back garden the morn...

Rugby Day!

Sunny in Fkn London, Sunny in Fkn Dublin :huh:

Pishy rain and cald here as Fkn usual :wallbash:

Big Innes

Posted

Hmmm wet wet wet good job I took me coat.

Still some cold to the north; will it, won't it?

New camera now. It has touchscreen which is very cool. And a walloping great sensor for capturing all those darling lickle snowflakes aaar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

We just had an incredibly fine mist of what I swear was snow... except XC says it is 9C here so it can't have been... it was as fine a mist of it as when the wind blows a lawn-sprinkler and you just get that incredibly-fine mist. Except I was up in the attic and from the windows there I could see it being swirled, and where it got to the stone window-ledge it looked very very like minutely tiny snow!

Oh well...

Sunny now, breezy, laundry on line, have managed to find my Building Soc passbook for the first time since 2008 and am off to see if the shares my grandparents left me have done their usual and produced a tenner a year of dividends - not quite a bloated capitalist, but I could be in line for as much as forty quid, whoohoo!

Posted

I thought I had looked at my last set of charts for the season the other day. Noticed Mr. Murr drifted into the model thread this morning. A few posters touching on a chink of light the week after next, but very wary for obvious reasons! So, here I go again,

Posted

Always a good sign when the Murr awakens from his slumbering to post... the lesser spotted Murr leads to Easterly connotations..

Looking like the Fat Lady has a Fat Scandanavian Meatball stuck in her throat for as far as this winter is concerned.. certainly not game set and match yet.

Plenty of interest still, not least the CPC trends, GEFS Ensembles will be worth a trawl for enticing charts as will the NAEFS for mean height rises..changes are on the radar..

Posted

Evening all what are all our Kilted folks up to this evenin ????

Posted

Always a good sign when the Murr awakens from his slumbering to post... the lesser spotted Murr leads to Easterly connotations..

Looking like the Fat Lady has a Fat Scandanavian Meatball stuck in her throat for as far as this winter is concerned.. certainly not game set and match yet.

Plenty of interest still, not least the CPC trends, GEFS Ensembles will be worth a trawl for enticing charts as will the NAEFS for mean height rises..changes are on the radar..

I agree, in my opinion there's still at least 6 weeks of snow potential. Plenty of time for a decent significant cold and snowy blast, and judging by one or two wee trends, it may just well be a possibility. And it's certainly reasonable in the sense that march can pack just as strong a punch as november/december. Look at these charts from just a few years ago (2006):

The whole of the UK under -8 uppers at the start of the month!

archives-2006-3-2-0-1.png?

Ahhhh a wee gem for mid-month!

archives-2006-3-17-0-0.png?

-10 uppers covering most of scotland

archives-2006-3-21-12-1.png?

And here is a very decent and eye opening summery of what surprises march can bring. http://www.wiseweath...o.uk/id110.html

This is also the meto summary for that month: http://www.metoffice...2006/march.html

Patience is a virtue . . . at least we're all hoping so

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all what are all our Kilted folks up to this evenin ????

Task list:

1. Go to co-op (with wee one attached to leg) to get milk etc

2. Get logs + coal in

3. Light fire

4. Clean kitchen

5. Cook dinner for wife + wee one

6. Clean up kitchen post dinner

7. Open beer

8. Drink beer

9. Repeat steps 7+8 as required

Posted

See you on the other side at Step 7 SS

Still am v jealous of the logs n fire business natures television and all that ... :)

Ruzzi - still got a feeling for an almighty twist this winter...

Posted

Evening all. Pishy wet miserable day here.Topped 7C with a strong westerly breeze.

Plans for tonight are open Wine, connect to work and fix SQL cluster that broke on Friday while drinking said wine, followed by a trip to Dalmahoy the morn.

PS just watching the news, and aside from the story, Afghanistan even have snow. grrrrrr

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Just in from feeding cattle and making a road for the tunip lifter next week. Also making plans for fast partial emptying of folds (dung depth now 3 feet and rising)with hired in telescopic on Tuesday so we can open the gates for the rest of the winter. Hand pulling two loader buckets of turnips every day for wintering sheep. Still tidying up stones at edge of fields. The extra daylength is a big help, even managed to wash car in late afternoon.

Sharp shower late pm but otherwise mostly fine day currently 7.2c

Posted

Washed down my kitchen walls today so doing as little as possible tonight! May have a drink or two tho'! Is that Gilly I see lurking? How are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

See you on the other side at Step 7 SS

Still am v jealous of the logs n fire business natures television and all that ... :)

Ruzzi - still got a feeling for an almighty twist this winter...

Steps 1-4 complete. 5 underway.

Always the danger of jumping to steps 7 + 8 too early. Resistance holding, but tenuously.

Re fire. See below. I can make a short video clip and you can play on the telly? :winky:

Weather?

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.168.png

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.192.png

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.216.png

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.240.png

:huh:

post-9421-0-31860800-1330197630_thumb.jp

Posted

Models looking rather heavenly this evening :ph34r:.

Some rain earlier, but felt like an okay day - almost s****g-like.

Bugger steps 1 to 6, straight out to the pub. See you for a late look at the pub run :drunk: