Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March CET

Posted

Surely we have used up our quota of well above average months during the last 12 months, 5 very mild months in April, Oct, Nov, Jan and now March, exceptionally so in the case of April.

We're overdue a colder than normal month..

Surely November must come in the 'exceptional' bracket as well, it was the 2nd warmest on record after all. Unfortunately for you cold fans, the weather doesn't pay attention to 'quotas' although it seems you have a better chance with a cool start to April in the offing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

For the record, December, January and February were average here, temperature wise. December was average rainfall wise but was severely lacking in snow, January the same lacking snow but rainfall was around average and temperatures, while February was average temperature wise with below average rainfall and above average snow (15cm which lay for 8 days, albeit rather patchy where people had walked a lot)

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

December and January was normal temp wise in Leeds...really? seems like it was fairly mild everywhere else! only February was slightly below normal although we know there are variations from region to region

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well Dec here was 1c above normal Jan 1.3c above normal Feb just above. So I'd be very surprised if Leeds bucked the trend considering we're not that far away.

Just noticed by day we will record the warmest by day March ever here.

Posted

The month could have turned out even warmer if that failed warm spell had materialised 2 weeks ago, with much of the country being plagued by cloud and fog in the end. Hadley is on 8.6C to the 30th and it will probably stay there after today. I think we will probably be very close to 1997 after adjustments.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The month could have turned out even warmer if that failed warm spell had materialised 2 weeks ago, with much of the country being plagued by cloud and fog in the end. Hadley is on 8.6C to the 30th and it will probably stay there after today. I think we will probably be very close to 1997 after adjustments.

Wow, yes i forgot about that. We were forecast maxes in the high teens but they were restricted in single figures for many. That meant that the CET remained static during that period instead of rapidly rising as was initially expected.

Posted

Hadley is confirmed as 8.3C:

http://www.metoffice...t/cet_mean_2012

Its the 4th warmest March in the CET series and the warmest since 1997 overall. The adjustment was 0.3C downwards from the provisional number.

The mean max was the highest since 1948:

http://www.metoffice...et_max_sort.txt

Posted

Wow, yes i forgot about that. We were forecast maxes in the high teens but they were restricted in single figures for many. That meant that the CET remained static during that period instead of rapidly rising as was initially expected.

It could very easily have been the warmest on record had we had the temperatures that were forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sunny Sheffield came in at 8.6C for the month 3rd warmest recorded and warmest since 1997 which came in at 8.7C. Our max was the highest ever recorded.

Posted

I have a site dedicated to all things CET http://www.centralen...perature.co.uk/ and have even written a freeware application to view the data. As far as my application is concerned which downloads the data directly from the Met Office the mean CET for March 2012 is 8.6°. Of course this is only the provisional value but I can't see why there is such a large discrepancy. As far as my app is concerned it's the third warmest since 1772. Here are some screen shots from my app. Even if you examine the data in Excel the total mean temp for March (1-31st) is 266.6 which if tou divide by 31 is exactly 8.6°.

You need to be using this daily data:

http://www.metoffice...t/cet_mean_2012

This is the adjusted data and gives 8.3C.

Great app by the way :)

Results now calculated for March.

Froze were the Days was the closest 0.2 out, with the top 5 also including Gavin D, Snowstorm1, Optimus Prime and summer blizzard

Froze were the Days remains in the lead overall with,Thundery wintry showers in 2nd and Styx 3rd.

In the seasonal comp, Gavin D leads from Froze were the Days (10pt deduction cost overall lead) with Snowstorm1 in 3rd.

Mar 2012 CET.xls Mar 2012 CET.pdf