Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Seasonal Forecast Thread

Posted

Given many press reports have misrepresented the Met Office in recent days I don't take much notice of such articles. The press isn't doing the Met Office well at the moment, I've lost count of the number of reports saying we are in for a repeat of last winter's wet fest, indeed we should be under a constant stream of wetness right now if you were to believe such reports, the outlook couldn't be further from the truth.

I think the Met Office is struggling at the moment, can't get a handle on the buckled ineffectual Jetstream and more than many a year suggest we give any long range forecast a huge margin of error.

• Like 7

Posted

Just found this on MSN UK ugly reading really if you like the cold. Health warning for coldies please take your pills before reading the following  http://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/topstories/white-christmas-unlikely-as-met-office-predicts-milder-than-average-winter/ar-BBfOBCG

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Just found this on MSN UK ugly reading really if you like the cold. Health warning for coldies please take your pills before reading the following  http://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/topstories/white-christmas-unlikely-as-met-office-predicts-milder-than-average-winter/ar-BBfOBCG

LO

They did also say colder and drier for last winter. How wrong they were. They haven't got a clue. I believe some experienced people on Netweather a lot more than the idiots at met office

• Like 3

Posted

My 2014 Winter Forecast

Here is my winter forecast for 2014/15 (please let me know if I should post this elsewhere). It is based on extensive pattern matching over by comparing this year’s 500Hpa charts with those from the last 100 years - I have avoided looking at the common indicators (e.g. SAI, QBO, SSTs, El Nino etc) as, though I agree with their principles, I would simply be replicating what others on this forum have already done.

So here’s what I have come up with:

GENERAL FORECAST:

A mixed winter with short spells of wet/windy weather, a few longer spells of drier weather (including a long dry spell in January) and two windows for cold/snowy weather – first at the end of December/early January, and then again at the start of February. High pressure will never be too far away though, so a lot of frost and possibly fog as the winter develops.

Temperatures:

Overall - slightly below average.

December possible slightly above

January below average

February slightly below average

Precipitation:

Overall: slightly below average

Dec: slightly above 

Jan: below 

Feb: average

Details

December 1-7: Azores High ridging in. A mainly dry week, but occasional fronts moving in from the NW. Temperatures around average but some frosty nights possible

December 8-14: High pressure will move across the UK, perhaps centred over the North Sea. Mainly dry weather as a result, and possibly quite frosty with freezing fog a possibility

December 15-21: High pressure moves back out to the west allowing some Atlantic lows to move from the WNW, so some rain this week, generally average temperatures but a little colder in the north with hill snow a possibility

December 22-28: The Christmas period sees the stormiest week of the year, as lows now head straight for the UK with potential for flooding rain and coastal gales. Temperatures above average

December 29-January 3: A big change this week – the last of the lows darts to the south as pressure builds around Iceland. Eventually, the flow over the UK turns to the east, bringing quite cold weather and the South of the UK is particularly at risk from snow

Jan 4-10: Possibly the coldest week of the year. High pressure around Iceland has now spread the Greenland and takes hold for a few days. Easterlies turn into northerlies with a straight arctic blast and low pressures running down through Scandinavia. The North and East quite likely to see snow at times, but all areas at risk.

Jan 11-17: The Greenland High collapses at last and lows head back towards the UK. A possible snow to rain event is followed by a wet week with strong winds. Temperatures eventually recover to above average.

Jan 18-24: High pressure moves in, so a fairly dry week. Temperatures start high but eventually drop with frost again a risk

Jan 25-31: High pressure firmly in charge, so again quite dry – some fronts possibly skirting the far NW. Cold and frosty in the SE

Feb 1-7: High pressure still in charge but moving west during the period, so fronts could come down from the North, with snow an outside possibility

Feb 8-14: As fronts clear south, pressure builds to our north, with blocking from Greenland across to Scandinavia – so another very cold week, perhaps rivaling the first week of January for the coldest week of the year. Snow is a major risk this week, with quite a lot of snow possible in the south.

Feb 15-21: Blocking relents, allowing some systems to move in from the Atlantic. A snowy breakdown ensues, and it may take more than one effort for a full breakdown to come. Eventually temperatures return to above average with a fair amount of rain for all

Feb 22-28: High pressure moves across the UK this week to give a cool, dry week, though possibly warmer depending on the positioning of the High.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Good luck with that rjbw, though I hope you are wrong about the Christmas period - gales and rain don't do it for me in the festive period, perhaps we could move your early Jan prediction forward a week

• Like 2

Posted

After 6 seasons near or appreciably above the average (only Autumn 2013 coming in near average), is a colder than average season ahead??

These are just my thoughts taking reference from others thoughts and projected forecasts-

December - Near average, I've gone slightly below, but it could end up a little above average. Quite a mixed month overall, starting off fairly quiet with frost  likely and average maxes thanks to high pressure, a more unsettled period in the middle with wind and rain and milder conditions but nothing exceptional, we may see one or two colder incursions from the NW at times more so in the north but these shortlived, still chance of some snow at modest levels here. The question then is when a change to colder conditions occurs, before or after Christmas, I will stick with just before, but with the cold not really digging in until the tail end of the month - a transitional period then over Christmas a bit of everything with some decent hill snowfall, before a cold New Year.

January - Below average, a cold first half high pressure present to the north steering in northerly/easterly airstreams, so good chance of some snowfall and hard frosts. Second half nearer average but with further threats of snowfall , but northern blocking will relent somewhat.

February - sticking my neck out and saying below average, not expecting the atlantic to make too much inroads and we could see another cold blast from the NE.

Rainfall wise I am going for a little below average, sunshine wise above. Perhaps a slightly less extreme version of winter 84/85 which saw a mild December before a cold plunge just in time for New Year. A general very cold January and cold February. I'm least confident about February.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Here are my views for December (copied and edited from my post last night in the SE thread)

December forecast (or random guess as others might call it  :p)

The JMA and CFS monthly forecasts suggest a mostly anticyclonic week 1 and 2 (week 2 the heights are weakening somewhat). Weeks 3 and 4 show strong heights in the western Atlantic with low heights draining south east through the UK, strengthening support for a more unsettled and potentially colder spell from Mid-December onwards. This ties well with initial thoughts relating to other winter variables including SAI and Stratospheric conditions as well as previous winter analogues. One change made was for high pressure to at least be favoured for a part of this month compared to my previous view of a very unsettled month.

1st-10th December

This period will likely be dominated by high pressure ridging across the UK from the south west from time to time. Rainfall should be below average and temperatures slightly below normal given anticyclonic conditions and the occasional polar maritime flow.

11th - 20th December

Conditions should turn more unsettled from here as the Azores high starts to back westwards, this will allow a strong jet to blow ESE from the north Atlantic bringing wet and windy weather, temperatures will be near or a little below normal as the winds generally come from the west or north west. An Arctic blast could potentially happen here.

21st-31st December

Things will likely get much more interesting now. The now Atlantic ridge will continue to strengthen and amplify in my view, this will allow low pressure to sink south east through or just east of the UK, this will result in a generally cold pattern with wintry precipitation (Similar to late November 2012). Towards the end of this period there is a definite chance of a significant cold spell developing as the Atlantic ridge could potential cut off towards the Arctic allow Arctic/Siberian air to spread towards the UK from the east/north east.

Overall

Rainfall - Close to average, maybe slightly above if the second two thirds are particularly wet.

Temperatures - Probably a little below normal (between -1 and 0C anomaly compared to the average)

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted

Good luck with that rjbw, though I hope you are wrong about the Christmas period - gales and rain don't do it for me in the festive period, perhaps we could move your early Jan prediction forward a week

Thanks Bob! Yes I'd rather be wrong for Christmas too!

I was interested that my pattern matching exercise returned a cold new year period (the winter of 1931/32 being one of my main guides) , seeing as almost every other forecast on NW is also going for a cold-plunge around that time. It will be impressive if collectively as a forum we get this one right.

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 2

Posted

Thank you for all the hard work hat went into that BFTV, interesting that you and others tend to favour below rather than above average temperatures overall this winter. Even more so when the model data from weather centres suggests the opposite. It is going to be an interesting 3 month period as we see how this plays out. 

thanks again,

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

OK loads of Forecasts out there and I've certainly enjoyed reading them...good luck to all, let WINTER BEGIN!! 

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

OK loads of Forecasts out there and I've certainly enjoyed reading them...good luck to all, let WINTER BEGIN!! 

BFTP

I agree let's hope this winter does begin unlike last year. Great effort by everyone thanks

• Like 1

Posted

Probably the main reason for the difference in the seasonal model projections and those of individuals favouring a colder than average winter overall, is due to the inclusion of the strat profile factor. I doubt any of the models are factoring this into account and quite rightly as it is an unknown, however, as we have seen it is a major player and for this reason treat all forecasts with large margin for error.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Probably the main reason for the difference in the seasonal model projections and those of individuals favouring a colder than average winter overall, is due to the inclusion of the strat profile factor. I doubt any of the models are factoring this into account and quite rightly as it is an unknown, however, as we have seen it is a major player and for this reason treat all forecasts with large margin for error.

But the models all model up to very high altitude as far as I know and the strat and trop are both part of the atmosphere and are constantly interacting with each other, I don't like it when people use the term 'the new strat model' in relation to upgrades of models to increase the ceiling, the models must surely be factoring in the strat but due to resolution, the butterfly effect and long range modelling still being in its infancy (relatively), the models are still projecting a mild winter despite background signals, of course they are not wrong yet but only time will tell.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

re not including Stratosphere data, I can't find the link at the moment but I felt sure that was now part of the routine?

I think this is the link

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/modelling-systems/unified-model/climate-models

climate models and routine synoptic models go up to 95km, I 'think' this is way into the Stratosphere?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

hi everyone, my winter forecast is available here (too long so i wont copy the whole thing into here)

fingers crossed for some decent wintry spells :)

http://londonwx.wordpress.com/winter-1415/

• Like 5

Posted

hi everyone, my winter forecast is available here (too long so i wont copy the whole thing into here)

Awesome forecast, brilliantly detailed, like many others this year your cards are on the table with nowhere to hide! Good luck.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Good luck with that, well thought out and reasoned, hope you are correct with the colder spells forecast. Seems from this and others that the mid-endDecember period is pivotal for entrenched cold during the New Year or shortly after, if it goes awry then these winter forecasts will fall.....but let us be optimistic for the moment

• Like 1

Posted

My seasonal forecast

3-7 December 2014: The entrenched cold front arrives, harsh frosts every night and temps as low as -5C but not snowfall.

8-15 December 2014: The cold really kicks in now, highs of -3C for the early part of the week, possibly edging above freezing in the latter part. 2-5cm of snow this week.

16-22 December 2014: The cold kicks in even harder Mon-Thurs highs of 1C and lows of -10C with highs of -11 and lows of -20 widespread by the end of the week. Around 25cm of snow will accumulate Mon-Thurs; too cold to snow for much of the end of the week. Permafrost possible,

22-29 December 2014: Week fairly consistent highs of +/- 2C with lows of around -10C on lowlands. Around 50cm of snow for the entire week, with 25cm of that falling on christmas day.

29 Dec - 4 Jan 2014: More of the same, further build up of snow between 60cm and 90cm within Mon-Fri and a further 120cm-150cm over the weekend. Temps staying relatively mild at -3C to 3C for much of the week.

4-11 January 2014 - No snow this week, clear flies and harsh frosts. No melt either as temps ranging from -20C lows to -9C highs freeze the snow.

12-18 January 2014 - Similarly to last week, low temperatures of -18C to -9C highs.

19-25 January 2014 -  The temps warm up a bit with lows of -4C by the end of the week, highs around 2-3C. Around 45cm of snow on Monday, dry to Thursday and then around 500cm in harsh blizzards on Saturday night into sunday dawn (falling a 60cm per hour).

26 Jan - 1 Feb: Temps decrease again, snow freezes and temps around -11C highs and -30C lows widespread, much colder in mountainous areas.

2-8 Feb: Mass snowmelt begins with a warm front coming in from the south west. Mass temperature increases to around 11C low and 15C high - melt snow extremely fast, with issues further compounded by 

9-16 Feb: Flood relief efforts hampered by widespread gusts of between 110mph and 180mph. These come from the north bringing with them heavy snow showers, although little accumulation on mostly sodden ground.

16 Feb - 1 March: The conditions turn spring like with average temperatures and little precipitation. 

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 3

Posted

My seasonal forecast

3-7 December 2014: The entrenched cold front arrives, harsh frosts every night and temps as low as -5C but not snowfall.

8-15 December 2014: The cold really kicks in now, highs of -3C for the early part of the week, possibly edging above freezing in the latter part. 2-5cm of snow this week.

16-22 December 2014: The cold kicks in even harder Mon-Thurs highs of 1C and lows of -10C with highs of -11 and lows of -20 widespread by the end of the week. Around 25cm of snow will accumulate Mon-Thurs; too cold to snow for much of the end of the week. Permafrost possible,

22-29 December 2014: Week fairly consistent highs of +/- 2C with lows of around -10C on lowlands. Around 50cm of snow for the entire week, with 25cm of that falling on christmas day.

29 Dec - 4 Jan 2014: More of the same, further build up of snow between 60cm and 90cm within Mon-Fri and a further 120cm-150cm over the weekend. Temps staying relatively mild at -3C to 3C for much of the week.

4-11 January 2014 - No snow this week, clear flies and harsh frosts. No melt either as temps ranging from -20C lows to -9C highs freeze the snow.

12-18 January 2014 - Similarly to last week, low temperatures of -18C to -9C highs.

19-25 January 2014 -  The temps warm up a bit with lows of -4C by the end of the week, highs around 2-3C. Around 45cm of snow on Monday, dry to Thursday and then around 500cm in harsh blizzards on Saturday night into sunday dawn (falling a 60cm per hour).

26 Jan - 1 Feb: Temps decrease again, snow freezes and temps around -11C highs and -30C lows widespread, much colder in mountainous areas.

2-8 Feb: Mass snowmelt begins with a warm front coming in from the south west. Mass temperature increases to around 11C low and 15C high - melt snow extremely fast, with issues further compounded by 

9-16 Feb: Flood relief efforts hampered by widespread gusts of between 110mph and 180mph. These come from the north bringing with them heavy snow showers, although little accumulation on mostly sodden ground.

16 Feb - 1 March: The conditions turn spring like with average temperatures and little precipitation.

Hmm, good luck with your forecast just one thing, 180mph winds across the UK, that would be interesting!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

My seasonal forecast

I think you've got the end of January wrong but otherwise I think you're spot on! :p