Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Seasonal Forecast Thread

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

II'm referring to just what amount of warming is anthropogenic, no one really knows knocker it could all of the 0.8c rise over 150 years or a fraction of that. 

If it's a fraction of that then another scientific explanation has to be proffered to explain the warming. My breath is bated.

And to add

There is a new deep minimum of solar cycle 23 may extend through the next 30 year during the coming solar cycles 24, 25, and 26, similar to what occurred during Dalton minimum era (see Fig. 3). Although the solar activity during the last two solar cycle has a deep minimum there is a global warming, the variations in solar activity do not seem to play a major role in determining present-day observed climatic change. Prevalent global warming, caused by building-up of green-house gases in the atmosphere, seems to escalate and hence mask this solar effect. It played a major role in palaeoclimatic changes. The climate cooling during the Maunder minimum and Dalton minimum might be due to the solar activities collapse [20].

Deep solar minimum and global climate changes

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090123212001002

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, iapennell said:

Hi Don; Although I don't think next winter will be bitterly cold the Sun is predicted by  number of solar physicists to enter a prolonged quiet period following the end of the active phase of the current Sunspot Cycle (Schwabe Cycle number 24).  The Sun is due to enter a Maunder Minimum type of period lasting about 40 years and the average annual Solar Constant is likely to drop by about 0.25 percent by 2030. This is not such a big change in itself but it will certainly counter the effect of rising CO2 levels over the next 15 to 20 years, the big impact of such a quiet Sun is that the fall in radiation emitted is not uniform across all wavelengths, in the UV and high-end visible the drop off is two or three percent (in other words that portion of solar radiation that gets through to ground-level unimpeded when skies are clear). As such the cooling effect of such a quiet Sun will be profound at ground level and will considerably overcome any effects of rising CO2 levels over the next twenty years.  The Arctic pack-ice will extend further south and the wintertime Circumpolar Vortex will expand to lower latitudes.  This will lead to weaker westerlies and an increased incidence of blocking-patterns at higher latitudes by about 2030; so that means cold winters. But not yet!

Many thanks for the response Ian!

Posted
11 hours ago, knocker said:

If it's a fraction of that then another scientific explanation has to be proffered to explain the warming. My breath is bated.

And to add

Deep solar minimum and global climate changes

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090123212001002

Regardless we've still no way of calculating just what percentage is what, however before this descends into the usual boring climate wars debate I think the anthropogenic effect accounts for at least half of the last 150 years of warming. The interesting bit is what happens next with the  next Solar Cycle and what effects this has.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 04/02/2016 at 2:31 AM, iapennell said:

Hi Don; Although I don't think next winter will be bitterly cold the Sun is predicted by  number of solar physicists to enter a prolonged quiet period following the end of the active phase of the current Sunspot Cycle (Schwabe Cycle number 24).  The Sun is due to enter a Maunder Minimum type of period lasting about 40 years and the average annual Solar Constant is likely to drop by about 0.25 percent by 2030. This is not such a big change in itself but it will certainly counter the effect of rising CO2 levels over the next 15 to 20 years, the big impact of such a quiet Sun is that the fall in radiation emitted is not uniform across all wavelengths, in the UV and high-end visible the drop off is two or three percent (in other words that portion of solar radiation that gets through to ground-level unimpeded when skies are clear). As such the cooling effect of such a quiet Sun will be profound at ground level and will considerably overcome any effects of rising CO2 levels over the next twenty years.  The Arctic pack-ice will extend further south and the wintertime Circumpolar Vortex will expand to lower latitudes.  This will lead to weaker westerlies and an increased incidence of blocking-patterns at higher latitudes by about 2030; so that means cold winters. But not yet!

Ian

Compared to previous cycles this 'active' phase is already a lot less than previous cycle peaks and is already on its way down, cycle 25 likely to be first of the 'bottom out' cycles with 26 being the 'one'.  I think the discussion is whether it will be a Dalton or Maunder style minimum?  As regards to offsetting effects of CO2, well of course it will, temps have and always will 'lead' CO2 not the other way round.  Interesting you seem to be suggesting sometime before cold winter effect to take hold.  I think during descent into Grand minimas we experience step down changes rather than a gradual descent...but time will tell but I'm pretty excited that we are a generation that could experience a grand minima.  Yes the base state for next winter will be polar opposite to this one.  Interesting discussions recently on how  composites of pressure pattern anomalies have not had much bearing on this winter, 

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Ian

Compared to previous cycles this 'active' phase is already a lot less than previous cycle peaks and is already on its way down, cycle 25 likely to be first of the 'bottom out' cycles with 26 being the 'one'.  I think the discussion is whether it will be a Dalton or Maunder style minimum?  As regards to offsetting effects of CO2, well of course it will, temps have and always will 'lead' CO2 not the other way round.  Interesting you seem to be suggesting sometime before cold winter effect to take hold.  I think during descent into Grand minimas we experience step down changes rather than a gradual descent...but time will tell but I'm pretty excited that we are a generation that could experience a grand minima.  Yes the base state for next winter will be polar opposite to this one.  Interesting discussions recently on how  composites of pressure pattern anomalies have not had much bearing on this winter, 

BFTP

Hi, BFTP - I found this presentation of the newer solar research interesting.  The focus on particle precipitation - suggesting it is not the sunspot number but the geomagnetic and particle activity which has the impact - that aspect been too active recently.

http://www.issibern.ch/teams/interplanetarydisturb/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Mursula_03_2014.pdf

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Nouska said:

Hi, BFTP - I found this presentation of the newer solar research interesting.  The focus on particle precipitation - suggesting it is not the sunspot number but the geomagnetic and particle activity which has the impact - that aspect been too active recently.

http://www.issibern.ch/teams/interplanetarydisturb/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Mursula_03_2014.pdf

Bookmarked for future reference.:good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Ian

As regards to offsetting effects of CO2, well of course it will, temps have and always will 'lead' CO2 not the other way round.  

BFTP

Which is - as the warm-up following the Snowball Earth well attests - utter nonsense?:D

Posted
8 hours ago, Nouska said:

good read Nouska,

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
9 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Which is - as the warm-up following the Snowball Earth well attests - utter nonsense?:D

Any charts to  support that attestation Ed?...

I was thinking of charts showing the state of the sun's activity and energy, together with any geophysical developments. Or a graph maybe of the changes in CO2 levels. It certainly is an interesting scientific subject isn't it?

MIA :nonono::pardon::oops:

Posted

This subject interests me also ... and I have divided the CET period of record into two groups, the weak and strong solar periods. The exact boundaries are of course somewhat subjective. I have defined the weak and strong periods to be the following:

Weak A _ Maunder __ 1659 to 1711 _________ Strong A _ 18th century __ 1712 to 1794

Weak B _ Dalton _____ 1795 to 1833 _________ Strong B _ 19th century __ 1834 to 1876

Weak C _ (name?) ___ 1877 to 1911 __________ Strong C _ 20th century __ 1912 to 2007

Weak D _ current ____ 2008 to ???

The boundaries are chosen to fall mid-way between solar cycle peaks. The peaks in the Maunder minimum are from Schove's research but represent just very minor activity within a long period of almost no activity (and sunspot observation in its infancy).

These are the peaks used in my analysis. They are fairly standard but I have seen 1801 as 1804 in other data because of a flat-topped cycle there, and it should be noted that 1882-85, 1905-07 and 1999-2001 are rather flat-topped cycles while 1829-30 had an unusually rapid reload into the 1837 peak. So all of these peaks and subsequent analysis could be tweaked for a smoothing function; consider this report to be a first draft sort of findings.

Peaks of solar activity are:

Weak A 1659,1675,1685,1693,1705 ___ Strong A 1718,1727,1738,1750,1761,1769,1778,1787

Weak B 1801,1816,1829 _____ Strong B 1837,1848,1860,1870

Weak C 1883,1893,1906 _____ Strong C 1917,1928,1937,1947,1957,1968,1979,1989,2000

Weak D 2014

From that timetable I have constructed the following two tables of winter mean CET aligned with solar peaks in the weak and the strong phases. Any given winter is assigned to the column that is closest to a peak, for example 1823 is peak minus 6 as the alternative would have been peak plus 7. No winter appears twice and if the choices are equal (e.g. 1952 is peak plus 5 or peak minus 5) the assignment is always to the plus column.

This is the analysis (P stands for peak as listed above, 1659* has only Jan-Feb):

WEAK SOLAR INTERVALS ... MEAN WINTER CET Dec-Feb vs POSITION IN SOLAR CYCLE

P-7 _P-6 _P-5 _P-4 _P-3 _P-2 _P-1 _Peak _ P+1 _P+2 _P+3 _P+4 _P+5 _P+6 _P+7 _P+8

_________ (no data before 1659) ___  3.5* _ 2.0 _ 5.0 _ 5.7 _ 1.7 _ 4.7 _ 2.0 _ 3.7 _ 2.3

4.3 _ 3.3 _ 2.0 _ 3.5 _ 2.3 _ 3.7 _ 2.5 _ 2.8 _ 5.0 _ 2.0 _ 1.8 _ 1.0 _ 3.2

_______________ 1.0 _ 3.7 _ 3.8 _-1.2 _ 2.7 _ 6.3 _ 4.7 _ 3.7 _ 2.7

____________________ 4.3 _ 2.2 _ 1.8 _ 3.8 _ 2.7 _ 0.7 _ 4.7 _ 1.3 _ 1.0 _ 3.4

__________3.3 _ 3.2 _ 5.1 _ 3.5 _ 3.5 _ 3.4 _ 3.8 _ 3.7 _ 4.5 _ 1.2 _ 3.2 _ 4.8

____ 0.5 _ 6.2 _ 2.6 _ 4.1 _ 2.0 _  2.1 _ 4.2 _ 2.3 _ 2.9 _ 4.4 _ 2.8 _ 4.0 _ 4.4 _ 2.4

3.3 _ 3.3 _ 3.1 _3.7 _ 3.1 _ 0.4 _ 3.7 _ 2.4 _ 4.7 _ 3.2 _ 4.1 _ 1.4 _ 3.5 _ 5.8

____ 1.5 _ 4.6 _ 4.3 _ 3.8 _ 2.7 _ 5.7 _ 4.0 _ 1.1 _ 2.7 _ 4.1 _ 4.0

____ 5.9 _ 5.0 _ 0.7 _ 2.5 _ 2.3 _ 5.1 _ 4.8 _ 5.5 _ 4.4 _ 2.4 _ 2.7 _ 2.5

_______________ 3.7 _ 4.0 _ 1.5 _ 3.3 _ 2.9 _ 4.4 _ 1.2 _ 4.4 _ 3.8 _ 5.4 _ 5.8

____ 3.1 _ 4.3 _  3.2 _ 5.3 _ 3.6 _ 4.2 _ 4.4 _ 3.1 _ 4.1 _ 3.4 _ 4.2 _ 5.0

____ 5.6 _ 3.5 _ 2.4 _ 3.1 _ 5.1 _ 3.8 _ 6.1 _ 4.5 _ 6.6

Means:

3.8 _ 3.3 _ 4.0 _ 2.8 _ 3.8 _ 2.8 _ 3.1 _ 3.7 _ 3.8 _ 3.4 _ 3.9 _ 2.4 _ 3.1 _ 4.4 _ 3.1 _ 2.3

As this post is getting rather long, I will post the analysis of strong solar intervals in a new post and then compare the two profiles. Note, the value of 6.6 for this current winter is based on 4.6 for February, the value may be anywhere from 6.0 to 7.0.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

A fantastically detailed analysis Roger.

Thank you for all this work...

I think it will take me longer to take in the implications than it clearly took you to produce it.

Brilliant.

Worthwhile keeping this data for analysis for the future. 

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 08/02/2016 at 5:07 PM, Roger J Smith said:

We may be seeing the opposite of 1740 happening this winter (in this case, reversal of an unsustainable cold signal).

Thanks Roger. On the back of such miserable recent winters your final comment is not welcome. :-( If the cooler spell of 09-13 was a mere blip in a longer term drive towards greater warmth - whether AGW or not - then the UK will truly become an awful place to be for 25% or more of each year. I was rather hoping that the move to a more pronounced sunspot minimum might actually override other signals. Hey ho - no offence... but I'll be hoping you're wrong on this bit of the analysis.

• Like 1

Posted

I understand your point, but what I had in mind was more isolated to this winter. If you look at 1739-40 you see a case where it suddenly reverted to the Maunder climate after quite a warm decade and three active solar cycles. There, I was thinking perhaps winter 1739-40 had the right setup to take advantage of the lingering closer boundaries of ice and open water, so that the long hiatus from severe cold was quickly overcome. Conversely in 2015-16 the synoptics were favourable for a mild start to winter and so the circulation managed to over-ride the recent slight downturn in the ongoing "climate change" period of steady increases. Although solar activity now favours colder winters, this opportunity for a return to the mild days was easily taken (and in terms of Nov-Dec, gobbled down with glee). But I don't think this means future winters will face the same fate necessarily, these longer-term considerations about solar activity will tend to dig in, and looking at 1740, it wasn't too long before some quite mild winters showed up again as they often did in the 1730s.

I think we are in a similar position in solar terms to about 1804-06, which is a good place to be for cold fanciers, there were several outstanding cold winters in the two decades that followed. It's all a question of how much the human signal will interfere with these solar dynamics. My personal opinion is that the modification will remain slight, in the 0.5 to 1.0  C deg range. If a winter is going to be a good one, warming it by 0.5 to 1.0 will not destroy the end result (as we saw at both ends of 2010).

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Posted

Roger

That is really some work my friend, and thanks for sharing it.  I agree as reversal either way isn't immediate....my analogy is an aging good team doesn't become a bad team overnight and still produce great games....but they do run out of steam eventually to become overrun by the opposition...

best regards

BFTP

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:05 PM, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Roger

That is really some work my friend, and thanks for sharing it.  I agree as reversal either way isn't immediate....my analogy is an aging good team doesn't become a bad team overnight and still produce great games....but they do run out of steam eventually to become overrun by the opposition...

best regards

BFTP

In terms of the CET what are the first things you are looking for in the new grand minima?  A proper cold spring last seen in 2013?  A proper cold summer last seen in 2011?  A proper cold autumn last seen in 1993?  A proper cold winter last seen in 2010/2011?  Or a combination of the above or a proper cold year last seen in 2010.  Also do you still expect any of these changes in 2016?  Also do you expect a proper global response to the minima unlike the mere "plateauing" of temps from 1998 through 2011 and the Bob Beamon warming of 2012 through 2015?

Edited by Lettucing Gutted

Posted

For me the 'mere plateauxing' is part of the long term response but also I don't think it will be turning 'always cooler/or cold' but that we should IMO start experiencing more frequent incursions of colder weather thus overall a colder regime sets in.  Will be interesting to see the rebound into La Nina this year from such a strong Nino

BFTP

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An early look at winter from Matt Hugo

Early indications suggest the coming winter may be significantly different to the last one. The combination of lower solar activity, a weak La Nina and an easterly QBO phase may favour a less cyclonic pattern and perhaps increase the risk of colder outbreaks.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=3300&title=Winter+2016/17

Posted

For me, this was the most interesting paragraph in Matt Hugo's analysis:

Sunspot activity has been declining since a peak around the winter of 2014/2015. It is no surprise that the severe winters around 2009 and 2010 did coincide with a particularly noteworthy solar minimum, as can be seen on the below graphic. Whilst the connection between solar activity and winter weather is a vague one the general decline in solar activity is set to continue through this coming winter period.

It will be revealing how the current lack of activity (read: silence) from the sun coincides with our upcoming winter, given how little is know about the links between solar activity and our climate. Hopefully some evidence is forthcoming.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow blizzard
19 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

For me, this was the most interesting paragraph in Matt Hugo's analysis:

It will be revealing how the current lack of activity (read: silence) from the sun coincides with our upcoming winter, given how little is know about the links between solar activity and our climate. Hopefully some evidence is forthcoming.

Are you feeling excited? 

I am...

Is it too early?

Probably

Haha

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 16:41, Roger J Smith said:

The boundaries are chosen to fall mid-way between solar cycle peaks

You must have been a mathematician in a previous life Roger, I was a radio/radar engineer and wannabe radio ham.  Sunspot cycles start and finish on specific dates. The peaks, double peaks or plateau generally do not align to the absolute centre of the sunspot cycle.

So you already know that sunspots vary on an 11 year cycle very roughly speaking. I forget the actual range over which the basic 11 year cycle fluctuates but believe me it does. Next in frequency comes the 22 year Solar Polarity change. This is just the Sun flipping the North seeking pole for the South seeking pole and vice versa, so one could argue that the time it takes for the Sun to be in one orientation i.e. North Pole "up" and sunspots at a minimum until the next time is in the same configuration is the true length of the Solar cycle.

This may or may not have an effect on your calculations. Be aware also that one cycle can start while the previous cycle is still ongoing ( the Sun produces sunspots with opposite polarity around the time of the start of every second cycle) but we are just given one number.

By the way, there are also longer time scale cycles in operation. There is a 79 or 80 year cycle of low sunspot peaks, a 100 or 101 year cycle of high sunspot peaks and this forms a 179/180 year cycle ( one cycle of low peaks followed by a high peak cycle). I think the scientists have recently reported that there might be a 360/400 year cycle too.

Happy Correlating!

Edited by Norway Nut
Correction
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 18:07, Roger J Smith said:

It is interesting to note that colder winters in the active phase tend to cluster near sunspot peaks

Remember reading a book in mid 80's that quite specifically said when the sunspot numbers go above 150 ( this is the old method of counting sunspots) or go below 50, then cold winters generally dominate. Does this help your analysis? The books title was "Future Weather" but I can't remember the author.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Norway Nut said:

Remember reading a book in mid 80's that quite specifically said when the sunspot numbers go above 150 ( this is the old method of counting sunspots) or go below 50, then cold winters generally dominate. Does this help your analysis? The books title was "Future Weather" but I can't remember the author.

This one by John Gribbin? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Weather-Dioxide-Climate-Greenhouse/dp/0140224599/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ukweatherforecast - winter forecast update 1

Starting with December using the air temperatures at 1000mb (close to the surface) there is a very clear signal for much cooler than average temperatures during early winter. This signal was present when we ran the data using all La Nina years as a base, however, after adding the low solar factor the signal became much stronger. This signal is one to monitor very closely in the coming months.

January and February signal a fairly average outlook with temperatures near average across the UK but January does show hints of warmer temperatures to the south of the UK but looking a February the hints are for Europe to return to a colder pattern, with Greenland looking rather warm, perhaps indicating a block here.

Full forecast here: http://www.null/uk-winter-weather-forecast-201617/