Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion €- Part 5

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Welcome to the new thread for Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk

This is where you can talk about local conditions, this is thread is geared for a more general 'chatty' discussion to give all members a chance to post and discuss the weather within our region and also to enjoy reading informative and occasionally humorous posts so please don’t be shy please join in and share your thoughts on winter so far and what you think the rest of February might bring.

Also if I may a quick reminder to any new members, or those who haven't yet done so to please put your location in your profile so we can see where you are from. You can do this by clicking on your profile (top right hand corner), then clicking "edit profile". Add your location and save!

Thanks - MKsnowangel :angel:

p.s. you can find the previous thread here... http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72511-east-anglia-three-counties-regional-discussion-%C2%80-part-4/page__st__640

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Morning - bit quiet around these parts, hope you haven't all given up on the rest of winter ! Maybe we just need a rest after the excitement of the last week :rolleyes:

No snow or ice warnings to report, there is one for fog though for parts of this region....

Yellow Warning of Fog for East of England

Hertfordshire, Central Bedfordshire, Luton, Bedford, Essex & Thurrock

Yellow Warning of Fog for London & South East England

Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Milton Keynes, Wokingham, Bracknell Forest, Reading, Slough, Surrey, Greater London, Hampshire, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Southampton, East Sussex, Kent, Medway, Brighton and Hove & Portsmouth

valid from 0445 Mon 13 Feb to 0900 Mon 13 Feb

...having said that it's perfectly clear here, temperatures already on the up - funny how 2.2°C can actually feel mild !

Have a nice day :angel:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Some tasty treats for Sunday.....if only it would stay like this and not downgrade :rolleyes:

post-10773-0-20619100-1329154194_thumb.p

Yep could be interesting for Sunday but may be on the marginal side in the South east, but lets see :unknw:

I think its going to be a very :cold: March for us in the SE, not alot of snow but a raw feel and a late spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Got my practical driving exam on Monday 20th Feb.

What are the chances of snow on that day?

Posted

Good Morning and Happy Valentines Day to everyone in EA & 3C - thank you for being such a lovely bunch to look after :give_rose:

post-10773-0-65478600-1329208153_thumb.j

The men in this region might like to take particular note of this ......

http://forum.netweat...eather-warning/

Have a nice day :angel:

Posted

Got my practical driving exam on Monday 20th Feb.

What are the chances of snow on that day?

Highly unlikely, GFS shows max temps of 5-6C (frost on Monday morning) with rain moving in late in the day. :)

A rather bland week of weather to be honest, it looks cloudy and relatively mild until the weekend before some fresher weather moves in. Might be it for snow during February as the models generally show the Atlantic gearing up. Though March and April can certainly bring wintry suprises!

Posted

Out of interest, these are some statistics for my location of the recent cold spell: ( from around the 29th Jan up until the 12th Feb)

Maximum temperature recorded: 3.6C

Minimum temperature recorded: -14.4C

Lowest daytime maxima: -3.2C

Days of snow falling: 2

Days of snow lying: 8 (Met office 'snow days'- all consecutive)

Biggest snow depth observed: 13cm (c.5.2") - though there were some drifts of over 1'.

Highest barometric reading: 1045.5mb

Quite an impressive cold spell for this part of the country, especially in the 'snow lying' days category as they were all consecutive. Going off recent cold spells, that's better than January 2010, December 2010 and December 2009 which all had around 5-6 snow lying consecutive days before a major thaw ensued. While there was a thaw in the middle of this cold spell, snow cover was retained when colder temperatures returned. This cold spell certainly provided more snow than last winter for my location (only 3cm fell here last winter, though I do realise that other locations did have quite a bit of snow in December 2010).

Another feature was the spread of the snowfall, all locations joined in during the snow event on the 4th, which hasn't happened in recent winters!

Wouldn't mind a repeat of this cold spell in winters to come! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Despite some 'end of winter' comments knocking around (not seemingly in this thread) there is plenty of potential for surprises some even before the month is out.. an east ish influence may not have finished with us yet - see below:

Yes I know its in fantacy island (FI) territory but I love the way the models this time of year throw up all sorts of interesting scenarios. The above may come sooner or later but definitely still worth watching for winter interest.

Glass half full me :D

Edited by Pixel Precipitation

Posted

It's very quiet in here....

certainly is...in fact I'm sure I just heard a pin drop :rolleyes:

post-10773-0-52177100-1329294986_thumb.j

Morning everyone anyway...if there is anyone here please say hello :angel:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Highly unlikely, GFS shows max temps of 5-6C (frost on Monday morning) with rain moving in late in the day. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

LOL reading through the model thread at the moment, Lots of members writing winter off and going into hibernation :sorry:

Lets see what the next few days bring , Ive got a feeling we are in for something special before winters done.

Just ask the starlings ????

Posted

It's messy but winter is still playing with us :D - end of the month:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

The cold coming through the weekend begins our yellow brick road to the end of a VERY cold feb. BIG EASTERLY (springs) to mind. However will not feel like spring at all through MARCH. :good:

Posted

The cold coming through the weekend begins our yellow brick road to the end of a VERY cold feb. BIG EASTERLY (springs) to mind. However will not feel like spring at all through MARCH. :good:

I'm not sure my footwear is going to be suitable then if the yellow brick road is going to be icy ......

post-10773-0-13961500-1329382815_thumb.j

....I might have to reconsider my entire wardrobe now :rolleyes:

Good morning anyway everyone,

It looks like a chilly day to come on Sunday and then look to the end of the month when maybe the wicked witch from the east will deliver something, who knows :angel:

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Another bland day weatherwise though relatively mild, max of 9.6C. Our first proper taste of spring could occur next week, with temperatures getting up to 12-13C around mid-week!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn17417.png

I must admit though I'm getting rather concerned about the lack of rainfall. This is the best time of year to re-fill reservoirs, lakes etc because of weak sun strength. This year so far has been a re-run of last year in terms of lack of rainfall! Unless we get a wet spring then I suspect there will be water restrictions imposed in the summer.

Posted

Our first proper taste of spring could occur next week, with temperatures getting up to 12-13C around mid-week!

Before a final taste of winter in FI....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2012021612/ECH1-240.GIF?16-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

LOL reading through the model thread at the moment, Lots of members writing winter off and going into hibernation :sorry:

Lets see what the next few days bring , Ive got a feeling we are in for something special before winters done.

Just ask the starlings ????

In my case it's fieldfares… every time we're about to get some cold weather especially a northern blast, I see flocks of them. Just getting the logs in this evening and a whole flock flew away from some trees. It never fails.

Posted

Ok so the weather models are having a wobble with cold atm and I'm like the brave (foolish) knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail, fought in the woods..

'ok so you've chopped my limbs off but I can still bite your ankles, come back winters not finished yet !'

Some tumble weed, a few straws and surprises and I'm happy...trouble is there's only a cold blip at the weekend then it's 'flat lining' into March:

:cray:

I'm off to Scotland for a few days.. (-:

Posted

Tumble weed time in here it seems.

but wait... there's some rain coming .. and a chance of 7 mins of back edge snow :lol:

nothing like the rain thundersnow event of Jan 2004:

and for the ramp up and down and up again temps:

edit: this one above moves if you click it

Posted

Tumble weed time in here it seems.

Looks that way....

I think we are officially the most boring quietest regional thread, maybe it's time to get creative with the tumble weed ....

post-10773-0-86679800-1329564986_thumb.j

Posted

LOL.. If it's just us on here MK will the big switch on the wall be pulled to shut down the south east? Shame as I hear the weather sill exists despite the sound of pins dropping from the sky.

Still chances of surprises from developments into March - I love this time of year - the weather's a little more volatile - interesting...

Let us know when you decide to turn the lights out here then :cray: