Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I'm beginning to think Bristol has a raindome! Still dry here, although there was very light rain a couple of mins ago! Nothing much though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

yeah same here how will the snow settle, saying that have seen before if the snow is heavy it can stick :)

Yeah doesnt take much to get going.. Once the temps reach freezing the snow can settle quickly on wet roads / grass.

Posted

Ian has tweeted 50/50 for snow in Bristol, and if it does happen, it will be middle of night! ( Which I hoped for, Lol )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

some strange posts on here, am I the only one who's seen snow settle when its rained before hand, if the temps drop enough when and if it does snow later then it can settle if its heavy enough.

Posted

bloody hell your so cheerful half glass person , not . What will happen will happen things can change so bloody smile

Ummm? Just reporting on my local conditions....

How about yours????????

temp 3.1

If it was heavy snow here i would be saying........heavy snow.......

ITS NOT EVEN FORECAST TO SNOW YET ANYWAY, IT WAS ALWAYS RAIN FIRST!!

Posted

My wife has told me there are ice pellets falling in Great Wishford near Salisbury.

game over.

Ground now soaked. This event finished for me. Any snow later will not settle.

Some people really need to get a grip! How you can both make such sweeping statements at this stage is beyond me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

0.5c with some very light snow grains in the air although hard to tell.

Posted

exactly my point

Add your location.

Add your current conditions.

Add to whats happening in the region.

Im not moaning, just reporting whats happening IMBY, dont understand people.

Edited by weathe20

Posted

If that heavy snow in the North East/North Sea made it down to us, it would have no problem settling on wet ground! The potential is there, we just need a bit of luck and a SW movement of the PPN!

Posted

some strange posts on here, am I the only one who's seen snow settle when its rained before hand, if the temps drop enough when and if it does snow later then it can settle if its heavy enough.

No you are not, seen it many times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

My wife has told me there are ice pellets falling in Great Wishford near Salisbury.

Some people really need to get a grip! How you can both make such sweeping statements at this stage is beyond me!

Quite right! It rained a little before the snow got going in the southeast last Saturday night and the snow had no problem settling, it just turned slushy quickly on the roads the day after.

I seem to remember on 11th January 2008 torrential rain turning to snow in the afternoon which settled on all but the roads. A similar thing happened on 18th February 2010, albeit with less rain involved. All is not lost yet, though I would like to see this temperature drop a bit.

Posted

Light rain in Bristol now! Hopefully it stays light though, and when the heavier PPN gets here, it's snow!

Posted

Light rain here in Stoke Gifford, North BTL.

If i remember rightly the forecast 48 hrs ago, for this eve and tonight, was for a rain to snow event for us - the models seem to have reverted to what they were predicting 2 days ago for the next 24 hours.

It's also worth mentioning that the main precipitation was always forecast to hit around midnight to early hours - and as i said last night if this snow event turns out to be a damp squib i'd rather this 'halfway-house coldish/lack of snow' weather would s#d off and we get an early warm Spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Ummm? Just reporting on my local conditions....

How about yours????????

temp 3.1

If it was heavy snow here i would be saying........heavy snow.......

ITS NOT EVEN FORECAST TO SNOW YET ANYWAY, IT WAS ALWAYS RAIN FIRST!!

Actually, you weren't. Reporting conditions would have been simply "it's raining" rather than the "Ground now soaked. This event finished for me. Any snow later will not settle".

Whilst I appreciate if someone is looking forward to snow and they get rain, it is disappointing but we're all in the same boat here. We may end up with a washout, we may not, the time to say 'game over' will be in the morning. There's absolutely no point in getting downbeat or putting a negative spin on everything. At the end of the day if we all just wanted to enjoy the snow we'd wait until it fell and be out playing in it, most, if not all the people on here enjoy the build-up and the excitement of will it, won't it - please don't quash that excitement with needless negativity.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by jethro, February 9, 2012 - Enough
Hidden by jethro, February 9, 2012 - Enough

Woo great news!

Im very sorry, but its not.

Im getting slated for reporting on my current conditions out the window and data from my weather station.

That includes PM's.

For some reason because im saying its raining, people are getting really really funny with me.

3.1, light rain..but looks a little sleety.

Posted

Evening All

Report from Frome.... :-)

Nothing at the moment. Just had a quick read through the thread, so it seems it's been downgraded for tonight?? Shame really was potentially looking forward to a day at home tomorrow. - hey ho.... :acute:

So not trying to be IMBY to much, but what are the chances tonight for Frome? Any good?

GL all