Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Uhhh, yes it can, and has done many of times in the past.

I can't think of any occasion where it has. Polar lows form under extremely cold temperatures and fall under potent northerly flows, which can reach the Irish Sea/North Sea at times to affect the UK. I am fully confident you can't form a polar low in the Irish Sea, no way are temperatures or general conditions cold enough for formation in such a warm sea?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I can't think of any occasion where it has. Polar lows form under extremely cold temperatures and fall under potent northerly flows, which can reach the Irish Sea/North Sea at times to affect the UK. I am fully confident you can't form a polar low in the Irish Sea, no way are temperatures or general conditions cold enough for formation in such a warm sea?

Hmm, I'm not sure, there have definitely been instances of polar lows moving southeast over the Irish Sea but formation generally takes place towards Iceland. It may be theoritically possible if the 500hpa temperatures were widely below -45C but even then I'm quite doubtful. We had a polar low-like disturbance on the 26th November 2010 which moved inland off the North Sea from the Norwegian coast I believe but whether it could technically be classified as a polar low is hard to say. In fact the very term is somewhat subjective as there isn't a measurably property that you could use to say whether something is or isn't a polar low (AFAIK).

Posted

Another pretty horrible day here. Dark, foggy, reasonably cold but milder than of late.

RIP Whitney Houston, although I grew up trying to avoid her music.

Kajagoogoo were never as good as Whitney, why you just can't admit it I really don't know! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Ok, it’s time to open up a fresh new thread soon ready for a new working week, this one will be closing shortly!

You can find the new discussion thread here…..

http://forum.netweat...cussion-part-8/

Edited by MKsnowangel