Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 5

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yup agree there we widely got 10cms sat night but come 5pm sunday alot of us including here had 5cms maybe at best followed by almost none 48hours after, here we are looking at anywhere between 2/10cms depending on where abouts in the mids you are but come 24/48 hours later nearly all will still be lying.

Strange around Stafford, some areas still have loads left, some areas only piled up snow left, between Stafford and Stone nothing, I live in SE Stafford and do have some left

lol like it

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What do you think for us tommorow night snow norfol

What do you think for us tommorow night? Tbh, im struggling to find myself get excited. Looks like rain first meaning we'l need heavy snow to accumulate on wet surfaces, the front is progged to be light - moderate at best. I also think we're too far NW to be receiving much of the snow and IMO it'l be a rain to sleet with some freezing rain thrown in kind of event. Happy to be prooven wrong, but I think snow is a no-no tommorow here.

Posted

OK, need a bit of advice. On a training course up in the north end of Birmingham tomorrow (Hamstead area). Can easiy get there by train but would rather take the car. I'm due to finish at 4pm...traffic in that area is bad in the best of conditions. Can I get home in time before any snow falls or should I just play it safe and go by train?

This is assuming that it does all fall as snow of course...I'm aware that it might not!

Edited by Gord

Posted

What do you think for us tommorow night snow norfol

What do you think for us tommorow night? Tbh, im struggling to find myself get excited. Looks like rain first meaning we'l need heavy snow to accumulate on wet surfaces, the front is progged to be light - moderate at best. I also think we're too far NW to be receiving much of the snow and IMO it'l be a rain to sleet with some freezing rain thrown in kind of event. Happy to be prooven wrong, but I think snow is a no-no tommorow here.

seems different to saturday, the front doesnt seem to move East, fax charts look good with the front moving back west during saturday, we certainly have a better chance than SE England looking at the fax, my guess is rain then wet snow then rain, then below 0 sat night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

OK, need a bit of advice. On a training course up in the north end of Birmingham tomorrow (Hamstead area). Can easiy get there by train but would rather take the car. I'm due to finish at 4pm...traffic in that area is bad in the best of conditions. Can I get home in time before any snow falls or should I just play it safe and go by train?

This is assuming that it does all fall as snow of course...I'm aware that it might not!

I dont think there will be any Precip till about 6pm imo.

Posted

Drive you will be fine at that time. tbh amounts arent looking huge anyway

Posted

seems different to saturday, the front doesnt seem to move East, fax charts look good with the front moving back west during saturday, we certainly have a better chance than SE England looking at the fax, my guess is rain then wet snow then rain, then below 0 sat night

Enough wet snow to accumulate do we think? I just cannot find myself convinced by the image the MO put on their twitter feed. That would leave us with 5-10CM of snow. I dont buy that at all.

Posted

I dont think there will be any Precip till about 6pm imo.

Drive you will be fine at that time. tbh amounts arent looking huge anyway

Even time to pop into Asda for a Whisper bar on my way home then. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Enough wet snow to accumulate do we think? I just cannot find myself convinced by the image the MO put on their twitter feed. That would leave us with 5-10CM of snow. I dont buy that at all.

Saturday 4 feb miles better as -8C min helped, nowhere near that low tonight, with precip arriving at around the same time 1pm, cant see any snow lying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Don't normally pay too much attention to the larger scale models at this time range, but I have to admit the ECM is a cracker, the snowfall overlay chart has west midlands under snowfall for over 24 hours!...would be very pleased if that verified!

Posted

Saturday 4 feb miles better as -8C min helped, nowhere near that low tonight, with precip arriving at around the same time 1pm, cant see any snow lying

But surely the persistent freezing temperatures this week and the fact that it will be below freezing will still play a part?

Doesn't take a lot to get snow to start settling in these conditions. I come from Lowestoft orginally and seen it setting there when temperatures have been around 2c, right by the coast too!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

Awesome pics of the bike Cyclonic! Should have used to snow we have left in Leicester as the backdrop though :winky: That bike reminds me of the red one you used to get on Road Rash on the Mega Drive for some reason :lol: *comes up beside you on another bike and smacks you off with chain*

Road_Rash_II.jpg

Ah, Road Rash on the megadrive. The hours I spent playing that game. I even loved the music!!

What chance for snow in Harsthill tomorrow night Andy? My other half is driving back fromm Worcester tomorrow evening and shes wondering whether to book a hotel.

Posted

Personally i would wait till the next set of runs filter through or wait till morning to double check this front could be over north cheshire by 9/10am might be touch and go

Like i say you can wait till morning then make decision dont just turn computer off now thinking u will be fine this will change in the next 12/18 hours

Posted

And why do you think the trains will run if it snows a bit ?!!

Hope you get home safe anyway mate. Can you keep in touch with this site lunchtime to asses whats happening.

Maybe even suggest to the person running the course that you would all like to get home safe , and prefer to finish early ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hope you get home safe anyway mate. Can you keep in touch with this site lunchtime to asses whats happening.

Maybe even suggest to the person running the course that you would all like to get home safe , and prefer to finish early ?

Blimey, that reminds me, best be careful tomorrow, I'm on the road until about 9pm tomorrow night...Cannock - Daventry - Warwick and back to Cannock :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Good chance for snow in coventry??

Probably a 50% chance at the moment I would say, with some models looking more favourable than others. Hopefully get an even clearer idea tonight and into tomorrow. Will probably also be a case of radar watching, and/or see what falls out of the clouds on the day. :)

Posted

To be fair, the trains round here cope OK when there's snow about. I remember February 2009 and January 2010 the trains ran more or less OK. Only December 2010 we had real problems with the diesel freezing in the trains! I only speak for the commuter trains inside the West Midlands area though, the longer distance trains struggle more of course.

Posted

Blimey, that reminds me, best be careful tomorrow, I'm on the road until about 9pm tomorrow night...Cannock - Daventry - Warwick and back to Cannock :unsure:

What are your thoughts tommorow AJ? Reckon we'l see any lying snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Evening!!

How are we looking for snow in Notts over the next couple of days??

Potentially. It's all very uncertain at the moment, though the trend is that this is turning into a more western event. The 18z will be out within the hour, we'll see what that says.

Posted

Finally Bit of progress, here in ludlow the met office went frm drizzld fo rain and now to sleet and snow, hopefully tomorrow be all snos forcast

Posted

Potentially. It's all very uncertain at the moment, though the trend is that this is turning into a more western event. The 18z will be out within the hour, we'll see what that says.

Cheers for that, I'm am going to stick around for a bit and see what comes out then!!!!! :)