Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Bitingly cold here in Oldham. Working at this multi-million pound warehouse is not good tonight, temp inside is reading the same as outside (-3) due to the heating being broken all day which they cannot seem to fix.

Union rep is about to enforce a time (1 hour) by which the company must have the heating fixed otherwise the shift is stopped :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well the NMM is showing freezing rain and it was pretty accurate for much of the region on Saturday. Not expecting anything other than rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looks like the situation has changed meto now

sugesting a rain to snow event for the region....we shall see

C.S

Posted

C.S

Only showing snow for here and heavy at that from lunchtime onwards, however there appears to be precipitation heading this way now which will arrive much sooner, I wonder what that will be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Excellent model runs all round to 120hr and a definite upgrade from the ecm on yesterday morning run (though again looks flattened out at 144hr) so UKMO & GFS vs the ECM it seems. Also liking the upgrade of snow pospects for the NW of UK , the Peak district AND CHESHIRE on the NAE:

12020912_0900.gif

12021000_0900.gif

Hope it comes off... full snow event for areas stated. *Copied from model thread* woop!

Looking at the upgrade, I would be very nervous if I lived around the London area.. could actually miss a large portion of the SE. Interesting times ahead fellas.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Excellent model runs all round to 120hr and a definite upgrade from the ecm on yesterday morning run (though again looks flattened out at 144hr) so UKMO & GFS vs the ECM it seems. Also liking the upgrade of snow pospects for the NW of UK , the Peak district AND CHESHIRE on the NAE:

12020912_0900.gif

12021000_0900.gif

Hope it comes off... full snow event for areas stated. *Copied from model thread* woop!

Looking at the upgrade, I would be very nervous if I lived around the London area.. could actually miss a large portion of the SE. Interesting times ahead fellas.

lol to the forecast to 120 hours, when it cannot even verify at 24 hours at the moment, like its been through december and january..FI right now for me is down to 24 hours yet again

Posted

lol to the forecast to 120 hours, when it cannot even verify at 24 hours at the moment, like its been through december and january..FI right now for me is down to 24 hours yet again

Haha but I didn't forcast to 120hr just said there good model agreement to that time frame :).

Anyway heres a nice video from the BBC about how and why we get snow and the dasterdly freezing rain.. worth a quick watch :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/16956208

Posted

C.S

C.S

To give you a flavour of the forecasts for the immediate south of the region (west cheshire, south liverpool , does not include st helens, warrington etal, just south of the region and west cheshire)

The weather channel through 10/36 hours. 6 - 11am cloudy, temp 1/2C. 11am - 2pm - snow temp 2/3C, 2p - 10pm light / moderate rain 4C all dewpoints well above freezing.. 10pm -4am light rain 1/2C dp dropping to -4C, 4am -6am snow then followed by more light / moderate rain before clearing leaving it cloudy once again.

Weather bug.

Today: Mixture of precipitation temp 3/4C, DP 3C, Tonight: temp and dp below freezing and rain through th period before clearing by morning.

Liverpool airport going for : 8am rain and freezing rain through 10pm, then snow before turning back to rain by dawn. Last forecast for snow was completely and utterly wrong by airport forecast, infact it did not predict any freezing rain just rain to snow which it did not get right at all.

So today its going the safe route of predicting all eventualities...rain / freezing rain snow from 10pm rhen clearing by 4am

As you can see, there is a lot of uncertainty especially with the weather channel and airport forecasts

Therefore i see it like this.

1 we had an overnight frost, coldest temp -2.8C hardly ground breaking or bitterly cold (cold non the less)

2 Cloud rolled in to give us total cloud cover by 530am

3 These temperatures now are not sustainable

Therefore with regard to rising temperatures this morning, coupled with a positive dewpoint, and unproductive upper air profile for this time period, the only thing I can see happening is freezing rain, followed by more organized rain, at no point can I see any snow for here until perhaps tonight, even then it will be pushing it as I bet it will remain dry but cloudy.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Are you for real? They are the latest model runs for the next 12 hours!

please dont be naive, your in for a rude shock if you think models cannot be wrong at12 hours regarding precip etc, the weather is dynamic, and situations can change at extreme short notice which I have seen, including this winter where the models struggled to 12 hours at some points..and it depends on which models and times you trust...some are unreliable at specific times, so over estimate precip totals and temps...hello gfs :p

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Bitingly cold here in Oldham. Working at this multi-million pound warehouse is not good tonight, temp inside is reading the same as outside (-3) due to the heating being broken all day which they cannot seem to fix.

Union rep is about to enforce a time (1 hour) by which the company must have the heating fixed otherwise the shift is stopped :D

Is that the mail order one? I worked there many, many years ago. The mad mouse I think they called it??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Liverpool airport did go for freezing rain las saturday, I remember. That said, they did go for heavy snow at the same time which was wrong. It will be freezing rain here today, maybe turning to snow overnight. Temp currently -1.3c here.

Posted

Is that the mail order one? I worked there many, many years ago. The mad mouse I think they called it??

There's a few round here but never heard of that name before lol... YODEL/ Littlewoods :)