Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

3.7C now with the sun starting to melt the fog.

End of the first cold spell in Cheshire. Wonder if that was the last one this winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

End of the first cold spell in Cheshire. Wonder if that was the last one this winter?

So when is the next freezing rain episode due?

and yes mate for cheshire mate last chance was yesterday for this part of the region

C.S

Posted

I kind of tried to mention that i didnt think next week was going to be much cop for us int he MOD thread and that i thought this was the last for this winter and i got shot down for it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

12020518_0506.gif

12020600_0506.gif

Posted

So when is the next freezing rain episode due?

and yes mate for cheshire mate last chance was yesterday for this part of the region

C.S

Hopefully never, I never want to see that horrible stuff again.

What a waste of a perfectly good snow event...

20cm+ in the SE. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Thats using a ruler with Cockney CM on it which are usually half the standard CM :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

YES thats about right 20cm in the SE

It is going to take a long time for me to get faith in any model ATM LOL

Huge dissapointment yesterday but hey,we live to fight another day mate

one positive at least we dont have to watch it thaw lol

C.S

Posted

I found it pretty interesting you don't normally get very much freezing rain in England especially in the North West - it is quite common in Canada/USA though - the icicles were strange don't think I have seen them without snow before.

I still do think that this month is going to be a cold one when you get a massive block coming out of Russia like the last week or so they can set in for a long time - wasn't it a big Siberian block that caused the big freeze in 1947 - and that lasted until March - and I have just read that March 1947 was even snowier than February 1947. If it did dig in for the rest of the month, I think it will be only a matter of time before us in the NW get the severe cold what do you think? It will be interesting to compare the 1947 synoptics to now though.

Luke

Posted

Thats using a ruler with Cockney CM on it which are usually half the standard CM :p

:rofl: !!!

LMAO! Hahaha :lol:

YES thats about right 20cm in the SE

It is going to take a long time for me to get faith in any model ATM LOL

Huge dissapointment yesterday but hey,we live to fight another day mate

one positive at least we dont have to watch it thaw lol

C.S

I'd rather watch it thaw tbh lol!

We'll get some... just maybe not this year. :lol: :(

Posted

I found it pretty interesting you don't normally get very much freezing rain in England especially in the North West - it is quite common in Canada/USA though - the icicles were strange don't think I have seen them without snow before.

I still do think that this month is going to be a cold one when you get a massive block coming out of Russia like the last week or so they can set in for a long time - wasn't it a big Siberian block that caused the big freeze in 1947 - and that lasted until March - and I have just read that March 1947 was even snowier than February 1947. If it did dig in for the rest of the month, I think it will be only a matter of time before us in the NW get the severe cold what do you think? It will be interesting to compare the 1947 synoptics to now though.

Luke

Indeed if we do get some decent blocking, it will only be a matter of time until we saw some disturbances such as troughs, or small lows forming in the flow, meaning we would eventually get some snow, but unfortunately, although supported by the 500mb charts and the ECM, any blocking is a long way off in terms of forecasting, so for now, let's just enjoy the low night-time minima on offer for the rest of next week, and see where we're at by Monday. :)

Posted

Think this is slightly true to be honest. My mate, in London at the moment, rang me saying it had just started snowing and his mates already thought there was 10cm after 10 mins. When in truth there was only just 10mm :lol:

Edited by Martin M

Posted

Mark Vogan:

Think this current spell is cold... A secondary Siberian wave will sweep across Europe, focusing more on western Europe in next 10-20 days as AO and NAO tanks!!

Posted

Think this is slightly true to be honest. My mate, in London at the moment, rang me saying it had just started snowing and his mates already thought there was 10cm after 10 mins. When in truth there was only just 10mm :lol:

Indeed just catching the news and it does show the depths to be around 10cm in places at best. at Heathrow, looks more like 5cm.

Posted

Mark Vogan:

Think this current spell is cold... A secondary Siberian wave will sweep across Europe, focusing more on western Europe in next 10-20 days as AO and NAO tanks!!

Trouble with Mark Vogan is he's been calling for a severe cold spell the "week after next" since early december. I do agree with him that there is potential at the moment for what he's calling for but I can't help but feel he's used the approach of throw as many darts and one might hit the target, lately. But apparently he was pretty close with predictions last winter and the winter before that so fair play to him for that.

Edited by Martin M

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

Trouble with Mark Vogan is he's been calling for a severe cold spell the "week after next" since early december. I do agree with him that there is potential at the moment for what he's calling for but I can't help but feel he's used the approach of throw as many darts and one might hit the target, lately. But apparently he was pretty close with predictions last winter and the winter before that so fair play to him for that.

Agree very much, although his forecast for winter so far has been in disagreement with others for the majority of this WInter so far, whereas this time, it would appear other forecasts are in favour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very nice day here, been out with the dogs and only a light jacket was needed in the February sun with calm conditions helping it feel warmer than the 7.0c suggested. All the birds are singing in the sunshine, spring can't be far away. :)

I normally see more snow during the Feb-March period, bring on the Greenland high. Hopefully I'll see more snow in early spring than the whole of winter, which isn't that uncommon. :p

Edited by Liam J

Is it due to get very mild in this area next week? I wouldn't normally ask but I seem some very mixed and misleading messages from the Models and particulary from people in the MOD thread at the minute.

No it wont be mild at all,probably 4 or 5 in the day and below freezing at night out to friday,after that there is a slight warm up on the ecm ensembles but this week looks pretty cold.

Posted

Is it due to get very mild in this area next week? I wouldn't normally ask but I seem some very mixed and misleading messages from the Models and particulary from people in the MOD thread at the minute.

I posted this earlier, pretty fair assesment of this week I think http://matthugo.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/the-week-ahead-monday-6th-to-friday-10th-february-12/

Countryfile forecast later should give a good idea too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Agreed - cant even be bothered looking into the post mortem of it - rain rain rain and rain cold rain at that.

I love Lancashire but I am looking forward to our move to Windermere in about 4 years time - Kirkstone here we come.