Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

kold weather

Posted

I'm opening this thread for this week. Will see another easterly, will the models suggest a set-up that can support snow for the SW. Plenty of time for snow this winter, or you can talk about the current weather in the SW...if you want!

Posted

very windy now. shame thats the only interesting part round here now! had some pretty amazing snow earlier on though. cant complain

Edited by David-kig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Morning guys, at least some of us had a covering during day light so we could appreciate it before the rain took it away!!

Anyone in the know (iceberg etc) able to say how our chances are this week for a repeat snow event? MOD is full of jolly saaafff easterners so lots of imby-ism going on!!!

Posted

Not looking for a repeat of my snow event. 1cm max yesterday morning, washed away by midday, then cold rain and lots of it !!!

As Aceman asked, any of you wise weather guys out there able to give us a glimmer of hope for the coming week. MOD thread only mentioning south and east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Bout an inch left outside but a steady slow thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

grass still white with slushy dusting determined to hang on although pavements etc 95% clear - no ice which is a positive though

Edited by Aceman

Posted

Not looking for a repeat of my snow event. 1cm max yesterday morning, washed away by midday, then cold rain and lots of it !!!

As Aceman asked, any of you wise weather guys out there able to give us a glimmer of hope for the coming week. MOD thread only mentioning south and east?

Not sure I class as 'wise' (I bow to the likes of Iceberg and OMM's knowledge on here!) but it's plain to see the trend. There will be mild spells within but anomaly charts, the stratosphere forecasts and upstream signals, in general, all point to what is likely to be the best February for many a year for the southern half of the UK. (Northern half will get cold as well but of course that is more common). There is of course a chance it won't happen. It would of course be typical if we get a -NAO (very likely in my opinion) and it turns out to be a west based one (not so likely IMO). This could then set up great looking northern blocking but leave the SW exposed to the Atlantic. BUT... that's long way off and I do think that if we can get retrogression of heights into and around Greenland it will favour us.

The main thing to remember is that a prolonged cold spell could happen now, in December thanks to the monster vortex it would have been very very unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I think the next five days are going to be quiet and settled now with temps ranging from 7c - 10c in Cornwall, 6c - 8c in Devon, 4c - 6c in Somerset, Dorset and the Bristol area and 2c - 5c in Gloucs and Wiltshire, the mildest days will start to be replaced by cooler days from Tuesday, not as cold as recently though!

From the end if the week and into next weekend things are forecast to get colder again, but this is too far out to be certain of how cold and any snow yet, so something to watch for now!

So a quiet, average Feb week coming up now!

Posted

Gah and I told everyone in the pub last night that it was going to snow next week. I am going to look like a fool now! Damn weather lol

Unfortunetly no snow until the weekend at the earliest!

Posted

Gah and I told everyone in the pub last night that it was going to snow next week. I am going to look like a fool now! Damn weather lol

:rofl::rofl: no change there then . :p

I was looking at possible tuesday still. Is there still a chance hills could see some wet snow?

Ahh After briefly checking meto site as im at work I see snow risk for hills no longer there :rolleyes:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

But but but I don't want it then! I'm on holiday and I want to be able to travel about etc. NIMBY thank you very much. ;)

Mullender> :p

Your not going skiing are you daisy?! :drinks::80:

Posted

:rofl::rofl: no change there then . :p

I was looking at possible tuesday still. Is there still a chance hills could see some wet snow?

Ahh After briefly checking meto site as im at work I see snow risk for hills no longer there :rolleyes:

I think generally speaking it's going to be a little to mild for snow this week! It not until the weekend that the uppers get down to below -5 widely again! This week is going to start relatively mild, with drizzle and more general rain in the far South West, it will then become drier as cooler air starts to move in from the East again!

Long term, ie from next weekend onwards, although in FI, is still consistently being modelled as turning colder again with heights transferring to the Nirth West, so starting with an Easterly flow switching around to a Northerly looks possible!

Long way out and everything, but definite potential from next weekend onwards still!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Had about 1cm last night and then turned to rain.

Roll on storm season .. Then again thats just as bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Well... Normal service has resumed...grey skies, cold...but not cold enough, and definately no snow. ;-)

Posted

Nope it's half term, so lazy mornings, lunches with friends, shopping and loads of wine drinking. :D

Of course that will all be after that busy schedule of homework marking ect :winky: :D

Looks like I shall have to fill that snow void this week with some thatchers... :drunk:

I'll be honest if the models looked like they do now back indecember or early january it would look good but I can't help feeling that by the time we get another shot we will be in at least week 2 of february which only leaves 2 weeks of winter proper.... :unsure:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I think we can all honestly say that no snow will enter the south west for the remainder of the winter. Think this one will go down as one of the warmest winters i can remember. Most of the winter it has felt more like spring so roll on spring, might feel like summer .

So sorry for all you snow fans think its over, never mind always next year.

kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Well what a depressing evening I had last night, reading about all the heavy snow, 50p size flakes etc etc in the london and south east thread :bad: lol

time to go check todays 12z's out, see if that block is still holding strong, I hear cold easterlys might be setting in again later this coming week, if they do I hope the outcome isn't the same as what happened this weekend! Still I can't complain, have seen snow falling, some winters I was lucky to see even a flake before it turned to rain.