Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Well unsurprisingly its raining, as usual model hype and promises of snow but the reality is rain yet again!

I think we need to wait for the heavier stuff and a few hours lol

Posted

active weather dude very good post so a downgrade for most in here, but upgrade for me? how much snow you think i will be in for? wiltshire is a buetifull place but looks better white :-D

Posted

I'm not downbeat yet I'll be pulling an all nighter and be watching radar as I don't have work tomorrow in the hope I see some snow! I think a few people might wake up to a surprise come morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Temp currently 2.9c with a dp of 0.3c and dropping slowly. Currently spitting a mixture of drizzle and sleet outside at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

active weather dude very good post so a downgrade for most in here, but upgrade for me? how much snow you think i will be in for? wiltshire is a buetifull place but looks better white :-D

I don't know! Ian F thinks upto 5cm, which I think sounds about right at the moment!

Interestingly, Ian is receiving many tweets from around the region reporting everything! Some reporting rain, some freezing rain and a couple even reporting snow already!

Like I said, this is no snowfest, but it is a real old jumble of everything and anything! Makes for interesting radar watching if nothing else!

Posted

on that note, what timeing its snowinggggg :-D

Good for you mate! Long may it continue! Some heavy snow in North East England at the moment!

Posted

Great tweet from Liam Dutton that shows just how hard it is for weather forecasters right now in predicting whether you get rain or snow. Very much a nowcast event for many in our region tonight.

This shows how hard snow is to forecast in UK. 4pm - Topcliffe 0C with snow, Church Fenton 0C with rain. Just 35 miles apart in Vale of York

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Alex, Only jesting mate, look at your last but one post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Okay I may be wrong but the latest rainfall radar over wiltshire is really interesting. If you zoom in on the Rain Today radar http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ and focus on the Westbury area it looks very much as though the high ground is causing the formation of light precipitation. Obviously this is what is expected of orographic enhancement but its really cool to see! So over the high ground above Westbury (and Warminster) there is some ppt (and reported as snow in Erlestoke by someone tweeting Ian F). Cool.

Posted

Okay I may be wrong but the latest rainfall radar over wiltshire is really interesting. If you zoom in on the Rain Today radar http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ and focus on the Westbury area it looks very much as though the high ground is causing the formation of light precipitation. Obviously this is what is

expected of orographic enhancement but its really cool to see! So over the high ground above Westbury (and Warminster) there is some ppt (and reported as snow in Erlestoke by someone tweeting Ian F). Cool.

Get the NW radar, much better and shows clearly what is rain and snow! Wiltshire could end up doing quite well if what is shown stays on the same track!

I wouldn't rule anything out tonight, all very knife edge! Grab a can, get NW radar, sit by a lampost, watch and enjoy, whether you get snow or rain!

Come the morning, there will be some bitter, dissapponted people on here, but a few miles up the road there will be happy, gleeful people!

Posted

Alijoe, I'm the same as you, I don't begrudge anybody else having snow but just wish we got more in the West/Southwest. I was a bit surprised to read TEITs "I told you so" post in your thread this pm. He usually writes with compassion when talking about us snowless folk. Yes he is often right and I normally love reading his posts, but perhaps a few kind words to soften the blow would be kind. No offence TEITS

Posted

Temp down to 1.6 now so falling very quickly

I think peeps should wait and see what happens before complaining about the event

(null)

Agree! No forecast will have a scenario like this exactly right! Some will do better than forecast, some will do worse!

The NW radar has rain over me now, but still bone dry in Bristol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Get the NW radar, much better and shows clearly what is rain and snow! Wiltshire could end up doing quite well if what is shown stays on the same track!

I wouldn't put total faith in that precip type on the NW radar, have seen it showing rain here before when it's infact been snowing.

Posted

Alijoe, I'm the same as you, I don't begrudge anybody else having snow but just wish we got more in the West/Southwest. I was a bit surprised to read TEITs "I told you so" post in your thread this pm. He usually writes with compassion when talking about us snowless folk. Yes he is often right and I normally love reading his posts, but perhaps a few kind words to soften the blow would be kind. No offence TEITS

Lol yes I agree. Yes I love Teits and when he said last night what he said, I did think UT OWE this is not looking good, but I agree, felt like nose being rubbed in it was not a nice feeling, but hey ho, it is only weather. Actually this could be quite exciting tonight, just would love a little covering of the white stuff, is this too much to ask? lol. Good luck.

Posted

If the heavy stuff misses us, I really hope it misses us by a long way. It will be torture seeing it all miss us by a few miles.

Shift WEST! :help:

Looks like a few hours of light rain coming up for us soon! Rain inbetween Bristol and Birmingham!

North and East of Birmingham is snow, sone heavy, if that can track SW, then it will hit our region later tonight! But for now rain, something wintry in Eastern parts of our region though!

I wouldn't put total faith in that precip type on the NW radar, have seen it showing rain here before when it's infact been snowing.

Ok thanks! Only got it today! Very good radar, value for money too