Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted

..mmm..not sure i saw 15cm....annoying thing is i'm 38 now and still in search of a 1963 /47 scenario and don't think i'll be happy until i've seen one! I admit we've come close to a couple of channel lows in the last couple of years but it always seems to go wrong at T+24..Still like you say There's always next week!! :lol:

Ant the best time for snow down here IS Feb or even early March.

Posted

..mmm..not sure i saw 15cm....annoying thing is i'm 38 now and still in search of a 1963 /47 scenario and don't think i'll be happy until i've seen one! I admit we've come close to a couple of channel lows in the last couple of years but it always seems to go wrong at T+24..Still like you say There's always next week!! :lol:

I'm old enough to remember 1963 when I lived on the Isle of Wight and we had snow on the ground until March!

If you want to see what a westward travelling cold pool can do, check out Boxing Day 1970. I was on the IOW then and it snowed heavily all day!

Be careful what you wish for!!

Posted

I'm old enough to remember 1963 when I lived on the Isle of Wight and we had snow on the ground until March!

If you want to see what a westward travelling cold pool can do, check out Boxing Day 1970. I was on the IOW then and it snowed heavily all day!

Be careful what you wish for!!

Hello OMM I have lived down here since 1965 and never yet had more than I wished for and very rarely what I did wish for. I am a total snow nut living in a snow desert though so i think that says it all!

Posted

The latest radar is showing a distinct hook to the precipitation over mid/N Wales, so maybe we now do have a proper closed circulation.

There is a very sharply defined cloud clearance heading down across the Midlands so for those of us particularly who have had rain, it's likely to be VERY icy out there tomorrow morning! It won;t take much to freeze if the cloud breaks up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Right guys, something is changing. Pressure is dropping rapidly at my location, wind is no longer just a southerly seems more E or N in the past half hour. Temperature is steady by slowly creeping down.

Looking for any sign of a rotation on the Sat images and I urge you to look out too! :good:

Temp: 2c DP: -1.1c Pressure: 1032mb, dropping qucikly

SM

What's brought that on?

Too late for my location, ground is do wet it would never lay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

You guys can have the PPN now, it's getting warmer over here and we just had a brief spell of rain!

Lots of friends posting photos of snow in Reading, looks like plenty to come. Although it's ultra-marginal, dew point of -0.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Still coming down here in Headington,Oxford. 50p sized flakes in last 10-15minutes. :drunk::good::drinks:

Total so far is 8.4cm, front coming to a end soon..

Temp 0.4c, Dew Point -1c.

Regards,Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The latest radar is showing a distinct hook to the precipitation over mid/N Wales, so maybe we now do have a proper closed circulation.

There is a very sharply defined cloud clearance heading down across the Midlands so for those of us particularly who have had rain, it's likely to be VERY icy out there tomorrow morning! It won;t take much to freeze if the cloud breaks up.

Yes exactly OMM, it will be lethal for a whole lot of folk whether it has rained or snowed I would say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Here in Brighton, it started off ohhh so well, then at about 8:45 the dew point rose rapidly to +1.1 and the temperature rose to +2.1 , and now what snow did fall and had started to settle is now a mushy pile of rubbish, so coming over to this thread now, as the SE thread is full of folks with 5 or more CM already, and I'm getting depressed :-)

+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some heavier precip associated with th back edge is now approaching. Be interested to see what effect I has in Newbs

It is a close call as to whether it warms up or not, personally I feel the snowcover will remain and hopefully more snow to come for a wee while yet!

Posted

Hello OMM I have lived down here since 1965 and never yet had more than I wished for and very rarely what I did wish for. I am a total snow nut living in a snow desert though so i think that says it all!

Hi coldfingers, yes snow is always very fickle here on the coast but sometimes it works to our advantage. On 8th December 1967, there was up to 11in of snow in Brighton as a polar low crossed the region and the warmth of the sea triggered strong convection which dumped a huge amount of snow along just the coastal strip.

But all too rare an event unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Very heavy precipitation here, 50P flakes with high intensity piling up very quickly. But the front is about to leave. :cold:

Posted

Aaaaargh!!! Bashes head on keyboard in despair. Temp still goung UP, UP, UP. Now 2.6C. Not enough time now for anything much even if the temperature did a cliff dive. An early night for me I think. For all who have snow, enjoy it and I really hope it lasts for you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Sorry to ask, newbie here whats closed circulation. Many thanks

Katie

Ps - -0.1 and still snowing in high wycombe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Heavy rain here for about an hour now. Wind has increased considerably. I think tomorrow morning is going to be lethal for ice. Showing temp 3 and dp 3 but windchill is making it freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Frustrated by these non events :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Here in Brighton, it started off ohhh so well, then at about 8:45 the dew point rose rapidly to +1.1 and the temperature rose to +2.1 , and now what snow did fall and had started to settle is now a mushy pile of rubbish, so coming over to this thread now, as the SE thread is full of folks with 5 or more CM already, and I'm getting depressed :-)

+

Indeed, although a small hope after midnight if that fails then we focus our attention to the next week where more chances of snow could arrive from the east so better for the coasts, will stay away from SE forum to prevent furstration though.

Posted

Don't worry people who have had rain all evening, there's going to be some interesting and more favourable events this up coming week after Tuesday. Might even be a tad colder that what we have currently and more established cold pool over the UK . Just by looking at the latest fax chart, the Atlantic fronts are just getting stuck over the Irish Sea and Western Britain due to this huge block!

SM

Posted

Hi coldfingers, yes snow is always very fickle here on the coast but sometimes it works to our advantage. On 8th December 1967, there was up to 11in of snow in Brighton as a polar low crossed the region and the warmth of the sea triggered strong convection which dumped a huge amount of snow along just the coastal strip.

But all too rare an event unfortunately.

Yes I remember that one. The bakery in Brighton at the time was on the top of a very steep hill. Result? No bread for anyone supplied by them. I was working in a shop at the time so it was an enduring memory of grumpy customers complaining that we only had a tiny bit of snow so where was their bread. LOL. Brighton must be a lovely place to live and Eastbourne is even better for snow.

Posted

I think the problem is we are all snow nuts BECAUSE we live in the snow desert!