Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Probably yes because everyone who has snow is currently at the window watching it fall not daft enough to waste the pleasure looking at posts by us sad snowless peeps.

I didn't come out of this looking good.... :blush:

About 1cm laying here, but it's just cranked up a notch. Fair bit of a breeze too, may see some drifts!! :good:

Posted

It seems we can never underestimate the power and warmth of the channel. This is the reason for the snow turning to rain along the Hampshire coasts, including the IOW. I really thought that the cold block would hold out, but like everything in weather, I missed the one crucial thing... a Southerly wind! :acute:

But now, another interesting development here, the wind has just switched around to the E and they temperature is on a nose dive! Was 1.8c now 1c... Interesting!

SM

The same thing happened in Dec 2010, with sub-zero temps shooting up as soon as the wind started to pick up from the sea. It's a very close call though, especially as we are approaching the time of year with the lowest sea temps. I think out in the Channel we're looking at temps of around 8C.

Interesting what you say about the wind shift and temp drop. Could be that the LP is more complex. Clearly, any change of wind direction which brings the air off the land will readily turn rain to snow as the cold air is still in plentiful supply ahead of the warm front/occlusion, over the N and NE of our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hi GTL, sadly I haven't been that well but nothing a little snow wouldn't fix. More blood tests Monday. I really NEED that snow. As for pink, I hate it really and have never worn it despite being a lady, and not the Little Britain sort either. But for snow I would even wear pink! LOL Hope you are well too and DO enjoy that snow!

Edit: I forgot to say, my current temperature here in Bognor is a balmy 2.4C and showing no sign it will drop. A shame really as the small river close to me was frozen over this morning and I haven't seen that happen for 13 or 14 years. Not even last December.

Good to see you on here CF.

Was wondering how you were? sorry to hear you havent been to well and I send you some happy and healthy thoughts and speedy recovery..

I reckon dear Boggas will get a share before the winter is out. Must do

It is still snowing here, albeit of the wet kind and I dont expect it to hang around much. It is carazy though the roads are fairly covered but I have seen at least a couple of vans still going for it. It is a residential area of 20mph speed limit.. It is just beyond me - do they think that they are invincible.

PB xx

incidentally I know others have mentioned it but the wind has picked up hasnt it. What is that all about? When that happen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Okaaaay lil bit strange as the rain/sleet is now more sleet/snow hmmmm positive lol

yeah same here sleety with some flakes in it....and wet everywhere...:-(

Posted

The same thing happened in Dec 2010, with sub-zero temps shooting up as soon as the wind started to pick up from the sea. It's a very close call though, especially as we are approaching the time of year with the lowest sea temps. I think out in the Channel we're looking at temps of around 8C.

Interesting what you say about the wind shift and temp drop. Could be that the LP is more complex. Clearly, any change of wind direction which brings the air off the land will readily turn rain to snow as the cold air is still in plentiful supply ahead of the warm front/occlusion, over the N and NE of our area.

Well this was a while ago now and the wind has shifted back to S/SW so bringing in the milder channel air, temp is now 2.2c

EDIT: Snow still around the M27/M3 at Eastleigh

http://www.trafficengland.com/trafficcamera.aspx?cameraUri=http://public.hanet.org.uk/cctvpublicaccess/html/12178.html

SM

Edited by SnowMania

Posted

Thank the shortwave for that, its starting to form and close to it you'll see the winds swing round a little with it.

Posted

Well got about 1/4 inch here. Went out to the chippy in the snow. Sounded sleety or icy but didn't seem to be melting.

Temp 0.8c. DP: 0.6c

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

I wish I was 50 miles more inland...always the same story being right on the south coast........there is snow in southern italy, southern france, turkey and north africa, but southampton come up trumps with a rain / sleety mix as usual :rolleyes:

Posted

I'm good and it is turning pink your way right now according to the radar if I've got my geography right.

Take care and look after yourself, CF.

A few hours of precipitation to come for many just yet.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Cheers GTL I will stay up and hope for just a little longer then. Sadly temp now crept up to 2.5C Aaargh, throws herself in frozen river! Oh curses, it thawed. :rofl:

Posted

For those that missed it in the old thread I will repost Old Met Man's interesting analysis. :good:

Well, it's moderate rain here right now, just one or two snowflakes I can see in the streetlight light outside. Temp 1.6, DP around zero.

I'm waiting to see the 19Z surface chart to see if there is a closed circulation yet. The satellite picture doesn't tell us much except the occluding front is already shearing away N between Iceland and Norway.

Just seen the 19Z chart, still no closed circulation but looking at the wind flow there could now be a centre just NW of Anglesea. From the surface obs it would appear the warm front is running SSE through the Welsh border down through Wiltshire/Dorset. So the low is probably tracking just S of SE, which, allowing for the fact that it may turn more towards the S as it goes, will mean it'll exit the coast somewhere around the Hampshire/Sussex border.

This evening's developments will be most interesting! Need to watch the cloud pattern associated with the occlusion as well as the rainfall/snowfall pattern as the system tracks towards us.

Kind Regards to Old Met Man, Cheers gottolovethisweather

Many thanks GTLTW, I appreciate it.

Looking at the IR satellite, the area of coldest cloud tops is slap bang over the region at the moment so the LP centre must be somewhere near mid-Wales, heading for Herefordshire/Gloucestershire. I mentioned in a reply to SnowMania that this low could be more complex, so we'll see what the hourly analyses come up with.

Still raining here with a temp of 1.6, but the wind has picked up from the S quite noticably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

post-2094-0-48861800-1328390431_thumb.pn

hmmm that green and blue is edging closer by the second....

Right I am shattered so i must go to bed. I bet you all though I will wake up tomorrow to .........it all gone...it so has to happen that way.

Have fun all, keep warm and safe no matter what you are doing or whatever the weather..

PB x

Posted

Good to see you on here CF.

Was wondering how you were? sorry to hear you havent been to well and I send you some happy and healthy thoughts and speedy recovery..

I reckon dear Boggas will get a share before the winter is out. Must do

It is still snowing here, albeit of the wet kind and I dont expect it to hang around much. It is carazy though the roads are fairly covered but I have seen at least a couple of vans still going for it. It is a residential area of 20mph speed limit.. It is just beyond me - do they think that they are invincible.

PB xx

incidentally I know others have mentioned it but the wind has picked up hasnt it. What is that all about? When that happen?

Hi Polar Bear and many thanks for the good wishes. That wind is ODD! Temp here has crept up to 2.5C and the wind has increased to Force 6!!!! Odd indeed.

Posted

I wish I was 50 miles more inland...always the same story being right on the south coast........there is snow in southern italy, southern france, turkey and north africa, but southampton come up trumps with a rain / sleety mix as usual :rolleyes:

True, but we did manage 15cm+ on 3rd December 2010! Wait and see what next week brings, with a continental cold pool possibly heading W up the Channel. It would a very different ball game then!

Posted

Still a fair bit coming down here - its made a joke of all the rocksalt I put down!

0.9c

DP 0.6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

There is always hope until you give up, so it seems the surprises are perhaps becoming evident. :good:

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Right guys, something is changing. Pressure is dropping rapidly at my location, wind is no longer just a southerly seems more E or N in the past half hour. Temperature is steady by slowly creeping down.

Looking for any sign of a rotation on the Sat images and I urge you to look out too! :good:

Temp: 2c DP: -1.1c Pressure: 1032mb, dropping qucikly

SM

Posted

True, but we did manage 15cm+ on 3rd December 2010! Wait and see what next week brings, with a continental cold pool possibly heading W up the Channel. It would a very different ball game then!

..mmm..not sure i saw 15cm....annoying thing is i'm 38 now and still in search of a 1963 /47 scenario and don't think i'll be happy until i've seen one! I admit we've come close to a couple of channel lows in the last couple of years but it always seems to go wrong at T+24..Still like you say There's always next week!! :lol:

Posted

We need the precipitation to get heavier quickly here in north Hampshire to get some good accumulation. It's been snowing here for nearly 3 hours but only about 1cm has accumulated. The snow seems wetter now than it was a couple of hours ago. it will be interesting to see what the temperature at 9pm was in Odiham according to the Met Office. It was holding at -0.4C at 7pm and 8pm, but I suspect it is on the rise now.