Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello all.

Please post all your weather related reports and analysis in here and above all, be friendly to each other. :p

Please also use the following as a guideline to helping others:

• Firstly, any snow I get is a bonus, given the ridiculously mild winter so far.
  • Secondly, look for falling temperatures ahead of the heavier bursts of precipitation.
  • Thirdly, look for falling dewpoints ahead of the heaviest bursts of precipitation.
  • Fourthly (?), look for physical evidence of snowflakes in the light of the lamp-posts/
  • Fifthly (?), please update fellow members in THIS thread.
  • Sixthly (?), enjoy, eat and drink and post responsibly, no lying or exaggerations please............
  • Seventhly (?), if by Sunday, you can't get out of your front door, you've done well and you're in seventh heaven.

If you have any questions or grievances contact me by PM or any fellow MODS.

Let the fun n games continue.

Your host for tonight, gottolovethisweather :drinks:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Still light snow here, Raintoday turned to snow again now :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

How's it going guys? Got about 4-5 inches here with the heaviest yet to come, not that I want you to be jealous or anything :p

Seems that the warm sector isn't as pronounced as was forecasted though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

How's it going guys? Got about 4-5 inches here with the heaviest yet to come, not that I want you to be jealous or anything :p

Seems that the warm sector isn't as pronounced as was forecasted though.

Well done Nick L, are you safely home now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well done Nick L, are you safely home now?

Getting home from the match was a nightmare, hardly any roads have been gritted around here. But yes, safely at home in the warm watching the snow fall. I'm glad I decided to stay the night now!

Best of luck to you all :)

Posted

Its been mentioned at by others recently, but for anyone feeling down in the dumps with the rain just look at the ECM @ 144.

The Atlantic door couldn't be more shut! I know its a bit out in the distance but with that LP centred over europe I'm getting that Dec 2010 feeling, if it comes off nobody on the coast will be worrying about rain. Apologies for the RAMP.

Back to reality;

Still rain in Locks Heath with DP about to meet the air temp @ 1.5, wind solid from the south. I guess this won't change until the low sinks south during the early hours. Reports of snow in Fair Oak which is no more than 10 miles north of me.

Posted

anyone with the upto date satelite imagery have any info on the potential disruption in this front due to a lp?

Is it still happening?

where is it happening?

cheers stoxs

p.s still snowing , wind picked up , have around 3cms on the deck.

Posted

Piddlehinton living up to it's name, earlier snow now turned to heavy rain. No real surprises in the evolution so far, very well forecast on the whole. There will always be some with more and some with less etc etc.

A shard of hope for those that have sleet/rain still remains. I still think the mesoscale feature heading down through the country could supply a sting in its tail for some in a few hours time. Maybe not for Dorset but East Hampshire/Sussex way may finish on a bit of a bang.Coastal areas as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Its been mentioned at by others recently, but for anyone feeling down in the dumps with the rain just look at the ECM @ 144.

The Atlantic door couldn't be more shut! I know its a bit out in the distance but with that LP centred over europe I'm getting that Dec 2010 feeling, if it comes off nobody on the coast will be worrying about rain. Apologies for the RAMP.

Back to reality;

Still rain in Locks Heath with DP about to meet the air temp @ 1.5, wind solid from the south. I guess this won't change until the low sinks south during the early hours. Reports of snow in Fair Oak which is no more than 10 miles north of me.

Bet the iow wud still get rain tho :cray: wens that likely to be? its my birthday sun 12th wud love some snow :good:

Posted

For those that missed it in the old thread I will repost Old Met Man's interesting analysis. :good:

Well, it's moderate rain here right now, just one or two snowflakes I can see in the streetlight light outside. Temp 1.6, DP around zero.

I'm waiting to see the 19Z surface chart to see if there is a closed circulation yet. The satellite picture doesn't tell us much except the occluding front is already shearing away N between Iceland and Norway.

Just seen the 19Z chart, still no closed circulation but looking at the wind flow there could now be a centre just NW of Anglesea. From the surface obs it would appear the warm front is running SSE through the Welsh border down through Wiltshire/Dorset. So the low is probably tracking just S of SE, which, allowing for the fact that it may turn more towards the S as it goes, will mean it'll exit the coast somewhere around the Hampshire/Sussex border.

This evening's developments will be most interesting! Need to watch the cloud pattern associated with the occlusion as well as the rainfall/snowfall pattern as the system tracks towards us.

Kind Regards to Old Met Man, Cheers gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Bet the iow wud still get rain tho :cray: wens that likely to be? its my birthday sun 12th wud love some snow :good:

If the current models keep doing their stuff you could well be on the Isle of white!!!! by the 12th.

many happy returns for then

Posted

It seems we can never underestimate the power and warmth of the channel. This is the reason for the snow turning to rain along the Hampshire coasts, including the IOW. I really thought that the cold block would hold out, but like everything in weather, I missed the one crucial thing... a Southerly wind! :acute:

But now, another interesting development here, the wind has just switched around to the E and they temperature is on a nose dive! Was 1.8c now 1c... Interesting!

SM

Posted

Very difficult to call at this stage and it could all fall apart. However, if the trend maintains with an atlantic block then just watch the fax charts for short waves from the continent middle to late part of next week. So potenitally close to your birthday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have 4.5cm here in Headington,Oxford. 5cm in parts of the grass where snow has drifted.

Temperature 0.3c, dewpoint -1.3c

Regards,Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Getting bigger flakes in Horndean, but seems to be combined with bigger ice pellets, perhaps this is due to a heavier burst of precip.

Posted

No difference along the coast in sussex.A wintry mix,about to throw in the towel as well.Stupidly warm seas ruining it yet again for us coasters.

Prospect look better later on next with no onshore wind to ruin it on the coast.Fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

If the current models keep doing their stuff you could well be on the Isle of white!!!! by the 12th.

many happy returns for then

Aww Thankyou n that wud be fantastic!! :drinks::good: just seems soo long away n we all kno how often the blooming charts change! :oops: