Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted

Any optimism I had left is gone. Just seen the BBC 7 day weather nowt for us again. Everytime snow has been marginal it has been rain. I think this will be what I remember from this winter. Marginal events that always went the wrong way, 3 Epic storms, very mild Nov/Dec/Average Jan but with no snow. Now Feb is ticking away with no short term prospects of snow. I cannot remember even in the worst winters not having a big dump of snow in January. Awful! But that's life ,maybe next winter will be better...no point in us kidding that the winter was good just need to move on. I was talking to the guys at Glenshee and they agreed and they are worried they will have to down tools in March if it carries on.

Och the models are confused at the moment! In FI there is Greenland, Scandi Hi, Canadian High, Limpet High, Azores High, Euro High, Siberian High.....

The winter hasn't been bad in the west and I can name at least one or two poorer winters and it's not too disimilar to winters before 2004 except back then you wouild often find at least one decent snow event each month coupled with generally more regular wintry periods, some more frost, fog, sun aswell as the milder periods - whereas this January we missed out on a decent snow event and regular wintryness but there were many periods of crisp wintry sunshine towards the end. If February carries on in the same way the expect a big March - remember 2006, my best snow event just before Mid March! And the last two winters have seen the largest snowfalls come in March so there's still more than hope left.

Posted

An anticyclonic spell with middling 850's and a few opportunities for fresh snow on the tops would be great for the Western ski centres. Glencoe has got lots of snow up there just now & me and my youngest lad had a great time. Really good to see lots of other customers enjoying it in some decent weather today too and with all their lifts running & so much space to ski, there was very little queueing. Smiles all around. :)

Photos in winterhighland public reports ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2888

343oiuv.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

4C and cloudy now, no wind at all. The garden is still frozen solid though.

Been getting messages from friends & family in England today, as usual along the lines of '... if it's bad for us, what must you have? Epic blizzards and the end of the world is nigh?' Well, quite a pleasant day really but no snow!

There's no need at all to think we're near the end of our snow chances, as NL wrote earlier. It wasn't that many years since we had the snowiest March I can remember here. So look out... :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

An anticyclonic spell with middling 850's and a few opportunities for fresh snow on the tops would be great for the Western ski centres. Glencoe has got lots of snow up there just now & me and my youngest lad had a great time. Really good to see lots of other customers enjoying it in some decent weather today too and with all their lifts running & so much space to ski, there was very little queueing. Smiles all around. :)

Photos in winterhighland public reports ...

http://www.winterhig...dex.php?50,2888

343oiuv.jpg

Fantastic to see the ski resorts doing well. I was up on East Lomond today where the covering was fairly patchy but it did look as though the hills to the north and northwest had a good covering, even some of the lower Perthshire hills and the Ochils. Should be some topping up early next week as Atlantic fronts just nudge into the Western Highlands.

Posted

A couple of snowy scenes I photographed yesterday in Moffat Dale in the Borders - shows what might've been in other parts of Scotland if we had held onto the colder air!

post-11625-0-25860000-1328477298_thumb.j

post-11625-0-38806600-1328477511_thumb.j

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

The power and pull of the snow. Maybe we should set up NW holidays to the artic!!

Heard from others today that Kent had 5" of snow - good that someone got some.

Hopefully we will see something soon.

Look forward to another topsy turvy week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!
A couple of snowy scenes I photographed yesterday in Moffat Dale in the Borders - shows what might've been in other parts of Scotland if we had held onto the colder air!

oh that looks interesting - im up in eskdalemuir on friday...ah well, at least the roads look nice n quiet.. :hi::cold:

not bad at building igloos so if needs be...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
Posted (edited) · Hidden by NorthernRab, February 5, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by NorthernRab, February 5, 2012 - No reason given

Edit:

Edited by NorthernRab
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Maybe shouldn't have said the B word earlier:

h500slp.png

Evidently, yesterday TEITS got to write the charts, today it was Ian Brown's turn.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

oh that looks interesting - im up in eskdalemuir on friday...ah well, at least the roads look nice n quiet.. :hi: :cold:not bad at building igloos so if needs be...!

Fluffy - if there was an Avatar of the week competion - then am pleased to say you've won !

Maybe shouldn't have said the B word earlier:

Am thinking of another B word... :wallbash: rhymes with ' oh rugger'.

Posted

Starting to lose my patience and optimism about that Greenland High that just seems to never happen. Like my last post, it's still all to play for and it won't be over till it's over. Let's see how it pans out before we can look forward to all things winter and summer during the wonderful time of Spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

Fluffy - if there was an Avatar of the week competion - then am pleased to say you've won !

lol no IDEA what you mean there!

Am thinking of another B word... :wallbash: rhymes with ' oh rugger'.

Posted

Aargh. the ground really is cold and hard still... just been listening to john martyn out there, need to warm up :cold: :cold: :cold:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Pessimism in the model thread this morning. Reasons for optomism in the Scottish thread sea temperatures approaching their lowest =less warming of air passing above.Ground still frozen.Cold air not far away from us and N and E winds are more frequent at this time of year and into spring. Finally a couple of sayings from my late mother "As the day lengthens so the cold strengthens"and because she grew up in London "Spring doesn"t exist in Scotland summer arrives on the 1st of June."

Currently a bit icy here after a rain shower at 6.30am still at 1c and sunny .

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Pessimism in the model thread this morning. Reasons for optomism in the Scottish thread sea temperatures approaching their lowest =less warming of air passing above.Ground still frozen.Cold air not far away from us and N and E winds are more frequent at this time of year and into spring. Finally a couple of sayings from my late mother "As the day lengthens so the cold strengthens"and because she grew up in London "Spring doesn"t exist in Scotland summer arrives on the 1st of June."

Currently a bit icy here after a rain shower at 6.30am still at 1c and sunny .

I'd have agreed with your mother, especially for the 2nd saying; I've long thought that our autumns and springs are often very compressed affairs, although this could be partly because midwinters and midsummers seem so extreme compared to southern England.

Mood in the MT has lifted rather after the 6 o'clock run (maybe we should call it the milk run) as we get dumped in the freezer for the last half. No-one trusts the milk run tho due to some chinese whispers. (Frankly I think they're all a bit higgledy-piggledy just now.)

Cracking morning here, bit of a Gerry Rafferty mood swing for me after last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

3.7c/2.5c Hmmm......We have a lot of ice around parts of the house,where the sun doesn't get to it. Mainly because we didn't bother to clear such a shallow snowfall. I have seen this before over the years. That ice will just stay there and become thicker overnights. Usually until there is a fall of snow. I realise that the ground is cold but we haven't been that cold for that long. I don't know what the models are up to, but something is not 'sitting right' I can feel it in my chrystalizing water! ...We shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

A bit snipey in the MT thread at the mo isn't it? Well from what I can see the 6z looked like an improvement in FI, but then it is FI so I don't want to jinx it by fixating on it lol. On the iPad so can't post images, but I'm sure LS, Lorenzo or Campsie will be along to explain it all better anyways. Everything in the shade is still covered in frost here, but it is a beautifully clear and sunny sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning, it is still morning i see. (been up half the night again with little one and yes i was up at 8 but not compos mentis enough to read through the threads till now!)

Lovely sunny day here,started frosty and lovely -except for neighbours dogs barking incessantly :))

Models well - they are at it again -keep watching.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Makes you wonder if this is political more than anything else:

http://iceagenow.info/2012/02/eu-braces-potential-gas-crisis/