Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Good to have the North West Thread back in regionals. Hope we don't miss out on too much of the action if this talked about 'easterly' get's going. I feel it will be cold, sunny....but will it be snowy?

I'm not sure the front coming in from the west on Sunday, will get this far East for my area, and then it will take some time before an easterly makes it's presence felt across the western side of the Pennines. At least it's not raging mild south westerlies, that's a bonus.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm never really sure which thread Cumbria falls into, you could say both! :)

Nice and frosty here under clear skies and light winds, temp -1.1c, cars are frozen and the grass is nice and crunchy. Patches of ice in various places after todays showers, I expect some roads will be nasty.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

That's ok Liam we'll have ya. :p

Temp currently 0.1c, dewpoint 0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Im not sure but the 00z might be a slight upgrade.

Posted

Yesterday's covering of snow now frozen solid as is everything else, rather trecherous underfoot. Clear blue sky with the odd wisp of cloud , weather coming from north east at the moment.

Posted

Well after yesterday evenings surprise fall blue sky today, very cold! Big band of percep over in Ireland, could it head our way?

Posted

Clear and frosty start, everything is coated white. Min temp overnight -2.1c, currently -1.4c. :)

Edit : Thin high cloud spreading over from the NW ahead of the warm front which is over Ireland.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Cold and frosty here just had to help other half deice

The car

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

What a beautiful winters morning, clear blue skies with only partial cloud, currenly -2.8c and a covering of crunchy snow underfoot.

Other than watching a blizzard rage and snow pile up from the comfort of your home it doesn't get much better than this.

Hopefully off out now to try and get some miles underfoot and a few pictures.

As for Sunday, BBC are showing the possibility that the frontal snow "may" reach the North West but personally i wouldn't put my last tenner on it and TBH, if that means the associated milder air also getting here i'd be happy if it stopped offshore to give the cold a chance to set in before the beasterly arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Looks slightly better for that front reaching us

Posted

IMO I just can't see Sundays front making any inroads in the NW, at best maybe coastal areas will see something. Shame really, as I think for the coming week any snow will be mostly for the SE and Eastern counties.

Posted

Morning all. Not posted for while. Clear and very cold here this morning. No snow this far West, but nice to see a bit of frost again. If the Easterly follows the normal pattern we will have plenty of dry cold days to look forward to. After the past two winters a bit of a let down here, you could say nearer to the normal winter.

Here's hoping for some surprises along the way.

Posted

Beautiful morning here, deep snow on the hills above 400m and a hard frost in the valleys. Not sure on temps as my thermometer isnt very accurate in these conditions, too high up and too close to the house. Judging by the frost on the grass I'd say its probably the coldest night of the winter so far.

Looking forward to this easterly, probably be as dry as a bone here but will be nice to have some settled weather for a change!

Posted

Temp up to 0.5c now.

GFS 6z is progging a huge snow event for the west lasting days from next Wednesday which would rival Feb 1996, and for that reason it's probably a massive outlier. But it's bout time we had the west in the favoured place for snow, the east has taken the limelight far to long during past winters! Probably all change on the next run.... So we need the high pressure to remain just that bit further east, but not to far away so we get plenty of undercut potential! To much to ask.... :rofl:

post-9615-0-49721500-1327746663_thumb.pn Totals so far from when it Starts on Wed.... still snowing :)

post-9615-0-86818900-1327746764_thumb.pn Piling up :p

post-9615-0-17230000-1327747261_thumb.pn Still snowing by Sunday.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Big upgrade for us in the west, the models are showing warm fronts running right into the cold air and giving us huge amounts of snow!

uksnowrisk.png

ukprec.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ukprec.png

uksnowrisk.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ukprec.png

uksnowrisk.png

Posted

Yes the GFS 6z is an epic run and the best possible scenario for us in the NW, unfortunately we have to be realistic and accept that things very rarely happen so perfectly! If it's still being modelled inside T48hrs then get excited!

the best eye candy I've seen for many years for parts of our region.

I see Backtrack is lurking :p

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Nice upgrade on the GFS there Liam, I'd definitely take that over a dry easterly! Like you say, probably change on the next run, certainly going to be nail-biting model watching over the next couple of days! Fingers crossed people!

Posted

Could get a little snow tonight....

ukprec.png

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Backtrack is indeed lurking!

Oh dear oh dear, what a huge turn around from the GFS and ECM this morning.

12z, 18z and 00z showing an Easterly to extreme measures, whilst the 06z develops a shortwave, and instead leaves us in mild, southerly air.

For Western areas, it's a massive upgrade for tomorrow night, but for a decent cold spell, it's simply dire for us in the West.

I do want to see a few more runs before I make my mind up on the Easterly, we had 3 runs in agreement yesterday, including the ECM.

I knew this would happen when I woke up! A horrible dream about shooting people and now this. :rofl: