Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Hard to tell here, as the wind was so strong it stripped most surfaces. Where it is sheltered, I'd say 2cms."Drifts" to about 7. Not great. Don't think I'll go online tonight/tomorrow as can't stand hearing all the crowing from the Mids/SE/EA folk.

Hope our turn comes in the next week or so, but I have a feeling it's going to be the S... AGAIN!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had another very light flurry - nice to see. The snow should be stopping in Teesside shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Just had another very light flurry - nice to see. The snow should be stopping in Teesside shortly.

Yup hour earlier than expected just very light stuff now

Posted

Hard to tell here, as the wind was so strong it stripped most surfaces. Where it is sheltered, I'd say 2cms."Drifts" to about 7. Not great. Don't think I'll go online tonight/tomorrow as can't stand hearing all the crowing from the Mids/SE/EA folk.

Hope our turn comes in the next week or so, but I have a feeling it's going to be the S... AGAIN!!

Not sure about that - a Greenland high should build after mid month and that would almost certainly deliver more to the North.

Posted

Any more snow events for this upcoming week then ? :)

Posted

Is that us for the night then?

Probably for the week! :p

This covering could well be gone by this time tomorrow, but I won't be complaining as it'll soon ice over.

Any more snow events for this upcoming week then ? :)

Unlikely.

Edited by alza

Posted

Probably for the week! :p

This covering could well be gone by this time tomorrow, but I won't be complaining as it'll soon ice over.

Unlikely.

That my question answered then as John Hammond said more snow chances this week oh well I enjoyed this event :D

Posted

You're right....except for the snow which prevented me, in my 4x4 and winter tyres, from getting out of the village to go to Kendal tonight. Well, I could have got there, but it would have been silly, and it's still snowing now....just.....and below freezing.....just.

Yes I'm in Kendal now and there is nearly 4 inches of snow on the ground - there is even more in Windermere and there is still the lightest of snow falling as it has been doing for 9 hours solid. Its been a good event here - I had a feeling we would do very well, the fells being our saviour..

Posted

-0.5c now how are temps doing up Newcastle etc?

Posted

Yes I'm in Kendal now and there is nearly 4 inches of snow on the ground - there is even more in Windermere and there is still the lightest of snow falling as it has been doing for 9 hours solid. Its been a good event here - I had a feeling we would do very well, the fells being our saviour..

Eastern Cumbria does very well from these setups - apparently they have ~4 inches in Penrith, but nothing in Keswick.

Posted

-0.5c now how are temps doing up Newcastle etc?

Up to 0°C from -1°C when the snow stopped. Hopefully we'll remain quite close to freezing tonight, I'd like to wake up to a covering of snow rather than slush!

Not the best pictures, but..

3 inches definitely. Look at what we all could have had!

Posted

Up to 0°C from -1°C when the snow stopped. Hopefully we'll remain quite close to freezing tonight, I'd like to wake up to a covering of snow rather than slush!

3 inches definitely. Look at what we all could have had!

I hope it does too :D Icy bit of rain on back edge here mixed in with snowflakes :p

Snow bit heavier again now just moderate Id say at least got rid of that ice rain drops made virtually no impact anyways

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Eastern Cumbria does very well from these setups - apparently they have ~4 inches in Penrith, but nothing in Keswick.

Yes it does and also southeast Cumbria. I'm surprised at how little snow there has been in Keswick. Everywhere east of the A591 has done very well indeed. The SE airflow as ensured eastern and southeast parts have borne the brunt of the snow, northwest parts of the county including Keswick has been in a bit of a snow shield. Warm air cools rapidly when it descends off the fells in the region of High Raise/Bowfell and more so over the Helvellyn range thus there is often a marked temp differential between the west and the east of the county in these setups , and with a further sig mountain chain in High Street Range - yes by the time the air reaches the east of the county around Shap it really has been chilled. Had the front aligned itself on a more SSW-NNE path then it would have been a very different event, alas it maintained a SSE-NNW alignment which has done wonders for central eastern and southeast parts of the county. The cold surface air has backed into the warm air over these parts - and had nowhere to go thanks to lack of wind, very much micro-climate conditions today over the Lakes.

Posted

@Geordiesnow ref post 767.

We do have a covering here but it is just 100% ice, nothing else, ice. We did have the mixture of flakes, rain and graupel that others have had, but there is no snow accumulation here whatsoever. That would have been extremely disappointing if I had been expexting some rather than hoping for it, but the ice coating over every surface is a rare event here. I do remember something similar in Blaydon in about 1999. I had been to a party about half a mile walk to the house, with the mrs. Whilst there, we had a freezing rain event. It was more extreme than this one, all ground surfaces were pretty much "unwalkable on", we must have looked like a pair of elderly cripples ( we are neither old nor disabled) as we shuffled all the way home in the early hours, arms locked together trying to support each other , trying to prevent mulriple broken bones lol.

This tonight is really the only other occasion I can remember that comes anywhere as bad as that night 13 years ago.

Ref next weekend, the signs are there that the weather will remain cold, perhaps very cold towards the end of the week. Predomonantly dry here as modelled at the moment but we know how much and quickly things can change. A little developing shortwave, or isobars tightening etc can result in big short-notice changes. After next weekend, who knows but the teleconnection guys have been indicating that things are in place that point towards a cols Feb, with more snow chances, fingers crossed,

Karl

Posted

Still snowing here :)

Posted

Signs in models seem to be for cold from the north... maybe a repeat of 2010! :) We live in hope...

Posted

Still snowing has this stalled or am I right at the end now?

Posted

Still snowing here smile.png

Well that was a touch better than I was expecting, 3-5 cms here, snow has stopped here but the sky over your way snowstorm still seems full of it.

Posted

Still going moderately this snow isn't giving up! :p

Posted

@Geordiesnow ref post 767.

We do have a covering here but it is just 100% ice, nothing else, ice. We did have the mixture of flakes, rain and graupel that others have had, but there is no snow accumulation here whatsoever. That would have been extremely disappointing if I had been expexting some rather than hoping for it, but the ice coating over every surface is a rare event here. I do remember something similar in Blaydon in about 1999. I had been to a party about half a mile walk to the house, with the mrs. Whilst there, we had a freezing rain event. It was more extreme than this one, all ground surfaces were pretty much "unwalkable on", we must have looked like a pair of elderly cripples ( we are neither old nor disabled) as we shuffled all the way home in the early hours, arms locked together trying to support each other , trying to prevent mulriple broken bones lol.

Although I have not walked on it, I'm pretty sure this will be a "snowcover" which won't be soft to walk on and it will be quite hard and firm and quite dangerous however its still better than what I was expecting really but it could of been so much better if earlier model predictions were accurate and kept uppers of around -5hpa around us but the mild sector sadly grew and we had uppers of -2 over this afternoon hence the freezing rain.

Its also one of those unusual situations where the ground is whiter than the grass! In some ways, today sorta of summed this winter so far up, interesting* but very poor for snowfall!

*Interesting in the respect that December was exceptionally windy around here and in Northern areas in general and today having a proper freezing rain event on this scale which is rare in the UK and certainly around here.

Edit: Michael, it would seem to me the band is slowing right down and you may recieve any snowfall for a tad longer than perhaps some expected. Looking like a good night for the lucky ones further South and East.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I think a Greenland block with a dropping trough would signal a northerly/north-easterly dominated 12-17 Feb period- then a transition towards waa o/ Greenland on top of an Iceland-Scandi ridge for the 18-Feb period with a dominance of easterly winds. I think a less severe 27 Nov-2 Dec could be possible, but with lesser convective snow showers due to cooler SSTs.

All in all, February looks good for cold and has been so for some weeks/months now. This icy event is merely the precursor to a much colder and potentially more snowier regime.