Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

No snow for us until next weekend it seems, despite a favorable flow at times the pressure is far too high.

Should be very sunny though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

No snow? Yawn, I'll go back to sleep then.

Posted

hi all

i have seen over the last few days the forcast has nearly always suggested dry and frosty on the east coast, i deffinatly dont think it will be totally dry (agreeing with TEITS etc,) even today when you look at the radar where only slighter colder air is starting to come into the north sea, i notice specs of showers starting to show offshore, my feelings are if they are showing this early what will the convection be like in a few days or so :p

Posted

hi all

i have seen over the last few days the forcast has nearly always suggested dry and frosty on the east coast, i deffinatly dont think it will be totally dry (agreeing with TEITS etc,) even today when you look at the radar where only slighter colder air is starting to come into the north sea, i notice specs of showers starting to show offshore, my feelings are if they are showing this early what will the convection be like in a few days or so :p

To be fair the limited number of showers now are largely pathetic and pressure does not really drop below what it is now. Higher lapse rates may mean a few more than now but i would be surprised if even coastal locations received more than 5cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winds already backing to a NEasterly. Too early to say whether it will snow or not in the few days. My own opinion is that snow will be progged at short notice (as always) and there will be plenty of surprises throughout the week.

Just taken a look at the SSTs.. first signs this winter of 5C appearing down the East Coast.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=seatemps;sess=

Edited by djrikki

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am expecting to see the first snow flurries here in the East on Monday/Tuesday, progressively getting heavier through the week until they climax on Friday and into the weekend. SSTs are not really worrying me at this stage as we are fairly en par with previous Januarys/Februarys, however the Baltic sea is above average for the time of year and might factor against us - will depend on the strength of the flow. By Thursday I cannot see this being a problem at all if those Cold Uppers are indeed realised.

Harsh Climate, plastered Grimsby as well last year, no kidding we had over a foot of snow last December.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/album/1019-december-2010/

Edited by djrikki

Posted

Winds already backing to a NEasterly. Too early to say whether it will snow or not in the few days. My own opinion is that snow will be progged at short notice (as always) and there will be plenty of surprises throughout the week.

Just taken a look at the SSTs.. first signs this winter of 5C appearing down the East Coast.

http://www.netweathe...=seatemps;sess=

Got to disagree, models have consistently forecast pressure to be high (1030mb+) and heights to be marginal thus even with lapse rates and dew-points conducive i am struggling to see where the spark for any decent convection will come from, the synoptic is just too difluent.

The east coast itself may get a few but i do not think there is enough instability to set off the multitude of showers needed to form more organised troughs.

Posted

Latest Gfs has thrown up a wash streamer

Rtavn1384.png

Similar to what plastered sheffield/scunny last winter!

It's not exactly the same thing.

The showers did start as a Wash Streamer however they quickly formed a convergence zone which developed into a trough and then formed an occlusion which meandered producing occasional goods for York southward but mostly Derbyshire (50cm).

In this case we may well get the initial showers however i doubt we have enough instability to form anything more organised.

Posted

It's not exactly the same thing.

The showers did start as a Wash Streamer however they quickly formed a convergence zone which developed into a trough and then formed an occlusion which meandered producing occasional goods for York southward but mostly Derbyshire (50cm).

In this case we may well get the initial showers however i doubt we have enough instability to form anything more organised.

Er yes it is similar, the precipitation chart I showed was an almost replica of the precipitation charts just before that event last year. That was the point I was making :rolleyes:

It wasn't an occlusion, an occlusion is a weather front. But as you said, it was a convergence zone.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Er yes it is similar, the precipitation chart I showed was an almost replica of the precipitation charts just before that event last year. That was the point I was making :rolleyes:

It wasn't an occlusion, an occlusion is a weather front. But as you said, it was a convergence zone.

It seems i was indeed wrong, i must have been remebering the forecast rather than the actual as it did not form an occlusion.

It did get as far as forming a trough...

bracka20101201.gif

You can however see that pressure is about 15mb higher this time around though.

Posted

It seems i was indeed wrong, i must have been remebering the forecast rather than the actual as it did not form an occlusion.

It did get as far as forming a trough...

bracka20101201.gif

You can however see that pressure is about 15mb higher this time around though.

Ye, with the pressure higher if it did happen again in a similar fashion, the precipitation would probably be lighter due to less instability. :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

No, they are coastal showers.

If a streamer is to form then the flow looks best Wednesday through Friday.

Posted

No they just look like regular showers.

Look at that chart I posted (post 7), that looks like a streamer. Notice the more darker colour around the wash and how it has a line of precipitation extending west from the wash (inline with the winds.)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Just looking at the 3 hourly forecasts for pressure and wind based off the GFS12z run and it looks as though Friday stands the best chance of deep convection for Yorkshire with the wind direction between E and NE and falling pressure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

-0.9c here with some small snow showers just coming into the Bridlington area, wonder if these can make it inland.

Posted

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a while in here but have been reading the forum over the last 3 months hoping for snow! seems wales, midlands and the south are favoured for it once again and scotland have had there share!! when is it time for south yorkshire, west yorkshire to get a little taste of the white stuff! but I think we could miss out altogether :( hope I am wrong. :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

I am starting to loose all hope of snow :( someone please tell me I am wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a while in here but have been reading the forum over the last 3 months hoping for snow! seems wales, midlands and the south are favoured for it once again and scotland have had there share!! when is it time for south yorkshire, west yorkshire to get a little taste of the white stuff! but I think we could miss out altogether :( hope I am wrong. :help:

If the ECM and GFS verify then convective showers from the North Sea will make it all the way across Yorkshire. The further east the better but Barnsley could be in the firing line. Lets hope no sudden changes on the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

I'm only a little bit up the road from LeeSnowFan and I'm hoping for a touch of the white stuff soon too. I must admit to not being too confident of seeing much this week though - not far enough West to get much from coming over the Pennines, and too far West to get much blown over from the East. I'd love to be proved very wrong though! :-))

Posted

Well the next five days are looking cold...

post-8968-0-35312800-1327782393_thumb.pn

:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snow still being forecast for Leeds on Monday albeit light.. we'll wait and see I suppose - gonna be cold however, which is good.