Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

In West Malvern we've got no precipitation of any kind as yet. Very murky-looking out to the west. Temperature rising slowly, now at 2.8oC. Basically got to sit and wait and see if that area of precipitation will reach this far.

You've got a better chance in Malvern thats for sure. However, we do need to be prepared for the fact that if it does reach any of us..it'll start as rain. You must have a good view out to Wales from your location (if I'm correct on where West Malvern is)?

You are now this thread's designated 'look out'!

Posted

Temperatures holding steady at around 1c but I've noticed that dew points are on the rise. Always a sign that a warm front isn't that far away. Will be interesting to see when they go back down again.

The precipitation meanwhile is getting no further east but slipping south. Should be seeing reports from Dartmoor then as the day goes on. As predicted then, places east of the A49 look like staying dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

You've got a better chance in Malvern thats for sure. However, we do need to be prepared for the fact that if it does reach any of us..it'll start as rain. You must have a good view out to Wales from your location (if I'm correct on where West Malvern is)?

You are now this thread's designated 'look out'!

ROFL! Yes we do get a spectacular view of the Welsh mountains from here when there's good visibility. Not today! I just had a walk on the Hill and walked around to the east side to overlook Great Malvern. Couldn't see it at all for the low-lying cloud obscuring it. Beautiful view, just a few higher hills standing out of the cloud like islands in a sea of mist. Right now the view due west is only as far as the next couple of hills in Herefordshire, it's so misty.

Edit: Actually looking at the radar it's beefing up towards Lands End, isn't it, rather than where we'd like it to be, further north of there.

Edited by Barbmac

Posted

ROFL! Yes we do get a spectacular view of the Welsh mountains from here when there's good visibility. Not today! I just had a walk on the Hill and walked around to the east side to overlook Great Malvern. Couldn't see it at all for the low-lying cloud obscuring it. Beautiful view, just a few higher hills standing out of the cloud like islands in a sea of mist. Right now the view due west is only as far as the next couple of hills in Herefordshire, it's so misty.

Beautiful part of the world. Love walking the dog around there. If it wasn't for this stinking cold, I'd be heading there right now...sounds spectacular!

Posted

Met Office warning updated.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Seem much more realistic now...takes this area out of them but keeps a small part of Worcestershire and Herefordshire in the yellow. With the developing situation, that seems just about spot on I reckon.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Oh dear looking at todays charts our only hope for a snowfest is going to be from an atlantic weather system coming in but looking at the block it will probably kill all the systems before they reach here until a big one comes through and sweeps milder air in anyway.

Posted

Oh dear looking at todays charts our only hope for a snowfest is going to be from an atlantic weather system coming in but looking at the block it will probably kill all the systems before they reach here until a big one comes through and sweeps milder air in anyway.

It looks like that NOW I'll give you that. But who knows what it'll look like in 48 hours time.

Anyway, there were some radar returns in your area...I'm assuming nothing is happening up there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Alright anyone want to see what I can see from my upstairs window looking west?

view_west_2.jpg

Yep - not a lot. It's gotten even more misty.

Edit: meant to say, no you can't see the Welsh mountains at all, in fact, hardly anything!

Edited by Barbmac

Posted

From what I have seen this cold spell looks very uninspiring for the Midlands. It just looks bone dry with no chance of snow.

Even today and tomorrows event has predictably gone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It looks like that NOW I'll give you that. But who knows what it'll look like in 48 hours time.

Anyway, there were some radar returns in your area...I'm assuming nothing is happening up there?

It's anaprop Gord, false returns

Posted

Don't get too downbeat. I remember Jan 2010 especially as a time where MO warnings came up after the fact, and systems not expected to even tickle Telford managed to bring us loads of snow. Convection is impossible to accurately predict too, so don't give up all hope!

Posted

It's anaprop Gord, false returns

Thought as much. Ah well.

Really grey here, if we can't get in on the warm front stuff...then can we at least have the sun out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Right . This is hope

Iv just watched the bbc weather on bbc24 and paused the 1500 ppn chart prediction from them , i then went to the actual radar and compared, one massive thing they was well out with a large area of ppn already well into northern england , they was fairly accurate with the blob over wales but then they had it over the irish sea into northern ireland, thats about 100 miles further west than where the actual front is situated right now.

I ask why havent they spotted this?? I have been watching this area all morning develop into almost a seperate band , now thats hope ISNT IT????!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yes it is very miserable here too. Hate this sort of damp murky weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

From what I have seen this cold spell looks very uninspiring for the Midlands. It just looks bone dry with no chance of snow.

Even today and tomorrows event has predictably gone!

Honestly, in these sort of scenarios... You want the Easterly 100% in place first and then the PPN and low pressure systems will fall into place after. Now we definitely have the Easterly in place... What we need to look for this week is how the Easterly develops and what sort of troughs and low pressures make their way to the UK. It does look like an Easterly that won't be short lived and this cold spell might last weeks. I live slap bang in the middle of England but even i'm fairly optimistic about this cold spell. It may take until Wednesday at the earliest but if the high pressure stays above the UK then those low's over Eastern Europe will eventually get here, guarantee you.

Posted

Precipitation everso slightly nudging east again....forming an arch around Shrewsbury it seems. I'm sticking with my west of A49 forecast for now though. Might get interesting on places such as the Long Mynd...maybe even Clee Hill at a push.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Beautiful part of the world. Love walking the dog around there. If it wasn't for this stinking cold, I'd be heading there right now...sounds spectacular!

You like walking your dog don't you Gordster :p Most of your updates include what the Weather was like when you walked the dog :D I used to have a Black Lab, sadly passed away in 2010 but I used to love taking him for walks across the fields in the snow!

Posted

You like walking your dog don't you Gordster :p Most of your updates include what the Weather was like when you walked the dog :D I used to have a Black Lab, sadly passed away in 2010 but I used to love taking him for walks across the fields in the snow!

Yep, me and the hound get everywhere! He's a Cavilier king Charles spaniel. Having a dog is the best way of making the most of any weather! Also allows me to give reports from places other than Stourbridge which makes it more interesting!

We are spoilt for all the countryside that we have on our doorstep here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

What a difference to last Sunday! Then we had a W/NW gale with mean wind speeds of 45-52 mph and today it's no more than a 2-3 mph SE/E breeze.

Most annoying that hills lower than where I am, but 12 miles or so futher north, are still white with snow from the fall on Friday evening but here there is nothing as the band of showers fizzled out to no more than 10 minutes of light-moderate snow in the space of 20 miles.

Bring on the easterly I say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

The local bbc and the met forecast doesn't have snow for brum for the next 5days.