Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Perhaps our 32 defeats in the last 17 matches will give you a glimmer of satisfaction?

No mate...but the 4-1 defeat at the Reebok the season you got relegated did :lol:

Anyway, back on topic......East mids looks good to firm.in the up and coming cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Not looking too bad at the moment... I see some people worrying that it could "all go wrong" and turn into "another Feb 2007". Well... for the Midlands (at least, my bit of it) that spell wasn't a complete disaster -- it gave us a full weekend of almost solid snow in an otherwise pretty snowless winter.

Posted

What went wrong with the February 2007 event? We had 9 inches from two days of heavy snow here in South Wales. I know that most of England didn't get as much but I wasn't aware it was a disappointment for most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

....and the Midlanders say stuff the weather i'm staying in bed.... lol

Posted

Big difference between GFS and UKMO with regards precipitation early next week - the former has it all dying away by Monday to give a mainly dry day, whereas the latter has quite a bit across Wales, West Midlands and the SW - and midday temps in the Midlands of 0c unsure.gif This looks to be supported by the latest Fax charts which shows fronts reinvigorating and pushing back in from the west.

Guess which I'm rooting for :D

post-203-0-65704700-1327738918_thumb.gif

post-203-0-74208600-1327738928_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Lots of Eyes to Dot and Teas to Cross as regards the cold Spell. We know the cold is coming .but how cold, how much snow etc is still far from the models grasp ! Certainly dont agree wthe the Ecm in picticular, it blows that huge block away in an instant in the later stages. That is simply wrong, when you have such a blocking and deep cold imbeded across Europe and the Uk, from past experience I know that such weather patterns are hard to break! Anyway some potentialy Wintry weather and seasonal stuff at last, but I must admit, Im not looking forward to working out in it!!! :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes, does look like there is an increasing likelihood of seeing light, possibly moderate, falls of snow during the latter part of Sunday and into Monday, as the warm front encroaches eastward.

Nothing of particular interest, but would be the first [proper] period of snowfall for here if the front did manage to push a little further east than the model output would suggest.

like the 13th Jan 2010? was a very snowy day, as the front pushed way further east than expected, although the 2nd atlantic push on 15th brought the mild air in

Posted

Indeed. This winter has been so dire we'd celebrate a flurry.

Being on the west of Birmingham gives me that slightly better chance. However, I still think that this will be a Wales only event, if at all. As ever we shall see.

Off topic but I dreamt last night that we were under a warning for 'incredibly severe thunderstorms'! I actually looked out of the window first thing looking for them. Took me about a minute to realise...

Posted

Is it me or is the front ahead of schedule, maybe give us further east a chance. I often dream of that!!!!

Indeed. This winter has been so dire we'd celebrate a flurry.

Being on the west of Birmingham gives me that slightly better chance. However, I still think that this will be a Wales only event, if at all. As ever we shall see.

Off topic but I dreamt last night that we were under a warning for 'incredibly severe thunderstorms'! I actually looked out of the window first thing looking for them. Took me about a minute to realise...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

If I could be anywhere tommorow/Monday it would be the welsh hills, but hey, prove me wrong mother nature! Let it be Lichfield!!!!

aye it's going to be a close run thing I think....Sweet spot for our region will probably be Gloucestershire/Herefordshire.Worcestershire IMHO.......as posted earlier, going by current output, if you're west if Brum, then you should be in with a shout

Posted

06Z gives W midlands 80% snow risk sunday night, but seems too marginal for me, have temps around 2°C

bbc tv weather mind you, had front no where near here

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

06Z gives W midlands 80% snow risk sunday night, but seems too marginal for me, have temps around 2°C

interesting observation, you may be right.....the 06z GFS suggest the ppn may start as light rain over the west midlands turning to snow as the shortwave slips away to the SE, dewpoints & wet bulb temps start above freezing and drop below freezing point as ppn starts to retreat, so on face value, slight accs are probable, maybe 2-3cm before it dies away, but as always, this post is based on one model output run, so now-casting & radar watching will be the name of the game :)

Posted

thicknesses dont seem great, although thicknesses around 528 (light blue) should be enough, where as Atlantic air NW winds, need 510 air (dark blues) light blues 528 just rain

Posted

Met Office yellow warnings are out for snow in this area for tomorrow into Monday.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Probably sensible while the risk is there...and of course there are many higher level routes around this area that could be affected.

Hope the weather clears on Monday so I can see if Clee Hill is white in the distance over the west. Maybe Clent will be white too!

Edit: My apoligies, it's an alert...not a warning. There is a difference I know!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It really looks like the snow wont advance further than the Welsh Border to me. Of course last minute changes may happen but its quite consistent in that very little or even nothing will fall here.

Posted

It really looks like the snow wont advance further than the Welsh Border to me. Of course last minute changes may happen but its quite consistent in that very little or even nothing will fall here.

not like you to be 'negative', but the 06Z does look good, one of warmer runs as well around the key 2-4 Feb period

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

not like you to be 'negative', but the 06Z does look good, one of warmer runs as well around the key 2-4 Feb period

Not being negative, just expressing opinion. Im not going to think the snow will get here just to set up for likely disappointment.

But yes the Op was one of the warmer runs and 80% of members are much more encouraging. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

My advice is to just go about your Sunday as normal and let any weather find you!

Edited by Gord

Posted

The 06z is a glorious run, there's no point getting the easterly properly in as it never brings much snow here in the end whilst from a selfish point of view the 06z is glorious with the atlantic bringing plenty of snow as milder air keeps trying to battle in.

Posted

The 06z is a glorious run, there's no point getting the easterly properly in as it never brings much snow here in the end whilst from a selfish point of view the 06z is glorious with the atlantic bringing plenty of snow as milder air keeps trying to battle in.

yeah, better than 00Z, much better deep FI aswell, the key is the 12Z's especially ECMWF model, FI been crap on there lately