Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suffolkboy_

The Passing Away Of Paul Bartlett

I hope I have put this in the right place.

I am sorry to report the passing of a much repected forecaster, Paul Bartlett, last night.

Some of you may know of Paul; a former forecaster for the MetOffice, he worked with the RAF at both Wittering and Cottesmore.

To my understanding, he also gave his name to the infamous "Bartlett High".

Even during his retirement he still provided regular forecasts, including seasonal forecasts (with come controversy).

I'm sure everyones thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

I hope I have put this in the right place.

I am sorry to report the passing of a much repected forecaster, Paul Bartlett, last night.

Some of you may know of Paul; a former forecaster for the MetOffice, he worked with the RAF at both Wittering and Cottesmore.

To my understanding, he also gave his name to the infamous "Bartlett High".

Even during his retirement he still provided regular forecasts, including seasonal forecasts (with come controversy).

I'm sure everyones thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Sad news indeed and I echo the above

Yes sad news and if it indeed it was Paul who`s name was linked to the famous High he will always be remembered by weather model watchers looking at a zonal setup showing that feature.

I know he had been ill but still quite a shock.

He'll long be remember for the friendly help and inspiration he gave to so many people.

Sad news, but there are very few forecasters whose name will last long in the weather community, I think Paul's name (bartlett) will always be around and that is a real testement in itself.

Oh thats sad, i hope his family can take some comfort in us thinking of them at this sad time.

RIP, Thoughts with his family and for those that have had the pleasure to meet him and were friends.

That's very sad, I remember him as a regular on uk.sci.weather back in the day, where his eponymous anticyclone was named.

Indeed. Barring a sudden ice age, his name will be constantly referenced every winter for years to come (and at plenty of other times during the remainder of the year).

RIP

Although he might be mis-remembered otherwise in future due to the nature of his high, Paul Bartlett wasn't really a "mild ramper", he posted reasoned winter forecasts and made references to the persistent nature of that familiar displaced Azores high extending into Europe. The TWO thread linked to a couple of posts of his around the 9th February 1998 (one of the most classic "Bartlett High"-dominated months) noting how difficult that high was to shift, but for whatever reasons Google seem to have removed the post- the link now goes to "Google groups".

Here is the link to the description of the Bartlett high over at uk.sci.weather (where Paul Bartlett regularly posted):

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/117