Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted
Just to add 2 cock pheasants appeared in the garden at the bird feeder for the first time ever this afternoon, I surprised them and their now roasting nicely in the oven.

^fixed your post for you. :diablo:

Posted

I think I recall the GFS 00z amazing and other runs have all shown a real battle between the atlantic and the block to our NE. In the end, I think the easterly will win out and it's just a question to when, how long it will last, how potent and whether we can expect any heights over Greenland. I thought I saw one or two wet snow flakes falling on the car windscreen earlier, maybe tomorrow could be better?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A very nice pub run, with some very decent ensembles to match http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-0-126.png?12

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-132.png?18 The mean wants to start the undercutting within 6 days

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-156.png?18 easterly within 7.

Means nothing as of yet, but the initial shortwave trauma at least looks to be resolved and an initial continental flow will set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

NL if that was the latest observation from an experienced farmer of many years - excellent.

If that was the latest observation from an experience farmer of many years with a pun included - even better !

I explained to our fellow hosts that it is Burns night and 'operation' banter was the norm for this thread, as is all kinds of other madness, it is part of what makes this place the most unique NetWx experience... HC if your PM is broke let me know :)

As for the models then it is a proper game of FI part one and FI part 2.. to explain - the modelling of the FAX chart is subject of debate within it's precise timing and secondly the extension of the ridging versus the Atlantic is part 2. Either way it is undeniable that February sees a pattern change.

To save some time look here for part 1 and here for part 2 two of the best concise posts I feel from todays rampant model discussion. I know everyone does not own Hazmat suits !

Part 1 looks like avoiding the 'worst possible' scenario of the GFS 12Z, upgrades on it still possible, part 2 uncertain but filled with tantalising possibilities...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Massive pub run - enjoyable viewing this evening!!

Posted

There're some huge showers showing up over the West of Ireland just now in temperatures of 1-2 C and the scale of which didn't seem to be modelled by the NAE.

Looking good for a few surprises tomorrow perhaps. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Pub pub pub.....will defo be a hangover from this in the morning called the 06z looking good though can almost touch winter....temp still 3.6 here hopefully fall soon....goodnight folks

Posted

Snow showers around this afternoon and at points overnight, pushing right across the country from west to east, and after that you might as well toss a coin to be honest! Models bizarrely picking up on signal for PV dropping out of Svalbard at the same time as lower strat. temps are favourable for blocking there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

To save some time look here for part 1 and here for part 2 two of the best concise posts I feel from todays rampant model discussion. I know everyone does not own Hazmat suits !

Now that's what I call luxury - a Regional Host who hands around the worthwhile MT posts like a dish of Ferrerro Rocher at the Embassy! Ah, Ambassador, wiz zese leenks, you are spoileenk us... :)

It looks like a weekend worth watching. Last week, I could feel my interest evaporating like a puddle in the outback as nothing happened, and took a long time to happen... and now we have Some Weather again! Not quite sure what weather, but we do have some weather!

Blue skies, dawning sunlight, still air after last night's whirling winds. XC says -1C, 3mph WSW, pressure 1000mb. Extra jumper, I reckon!

BM

Posted

0c,calm and blue skies here too. The model thread is really difficult to follow for an old peasant but my feeling is that even in the age of powerful computers the complete reversal of the normal W to E flow of the weather is proving very hard for the technology to follow.Remember over the years as an easterly was forecast would watch the sky usually on a calm day with a stalled disintegrating front above and slowly see the cloud start to move back in a westerly direction and then feel a gentle breeze on my face from the east, all the while watching the temperature drop slowly by the hour.Was always a strange feeling as the normally sheltered sides of the farm buildings and house became the exposed coldest sides as the E wind increased.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Fresh out this morning, -1c and sunny - not too shabby after recent fare.

So what the models giveth, they now taketh away this morning? Going into the MT thread is like being on a merry-go-round and a wee bit of the helter skelter thrown in as well. :bad: I really couldn't guess which way this will all go or if the models will ever agree. :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It's white and fluffy and falling from the sky :) Snow!! For the second time this week, getting a bit repetitive...

I could do with repetitive! You appear to be in a good location lately. I was really happy with the charts last night and felt that we were finally getting there. Yet again they appear to have backtracked overnight. What's your opinion Catch, is something very special going to evolve, or are we going to miss the boat? If that Euro block is being modelled correctly, would it be that easy to shift something so huge so soon? Answers on a postcard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

what a change from weeks and weeks of mild weather the snaw went on at about midday real heavy stuff its about 3 inches already and the roads are getting bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Looking at the latest uppers they are -5 at 6pm and there is a sw flow to here which is normally favourable and temps projected to be at 2..(currently sitting at 3) I am a bit hopeful we may just get an inch of snow teatime early evening...or we may get sleet or rain but right now im actually thinking it might just be snaw!! cmon if i can just get to pull the youngest on her sledge to the shops once this winter I will be happy :mellow:

Hopefully the temp will start to fall away a bit soon to increase confidence

what a change from weeks and weeks of mild weather the snaw went on at about midday real heavy stuff its about 3 inches already and the roads are getting bad

3 inches in an hour??? That is sounding like quite intense precipitation.....bodes well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

seek seek seek :bad: . I cannie bear it anymore - The charts are driving me mad!! Every time i dare to look they change the scenario - so i'm no looking any more - No snow here. Just ice - see there is a met office warning of ice from 5pm tonight - at least it will be frosty tonight.

Snowing in Kilmarnock.

Any piccies?for the snow starved east!!!!

I could do with repetitive! You appear to be in a good location lately. I was really happy with the charts last night and felt that we were finally getting there. Yet again they appear to have backtracked overnight. What's your opinion Catch, is something very special going to evolve, or are we going to miss the boat? If that Euro block is being modelled correctly, would it be that easy to shift something so huge so soon? Answers on a postcard!

What with everything going on I haven't taken the time to look much ahead...sorry!!

Posted

seek seek seek :bad: . I cannie bear it anymore - The charts are driving me mad!! Every time i dare to look they change the scenario - so i'm no looking any more - No snow here. Just ice - see there is a met office warning of ice from 5pm tonight - at least it will be frosty tonight.

Any piccies?for the snow starved east!!!!

Sorry but work network is locked down pretty well so can't get photobucket.

It's wet snow but it's Snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Looking at the latest uppers they are -5 at 6pm and there is a sw flow to here which is normally favourable and temps projected to be at 2..(currently sitting at 3) I am a bit hopeful we may just get an inch of snow teatime early evening...or we may get sleet or rain but right now im actually thinking it might just be snaw!! cmon if i can just get to pull the youngest on her sledge to the shops once this winter I will be happy :mellow:

Hopefully the temp will start to fall away a bit soon to increase confidence

3 inches in an hour??? That is sounding like quite intense precipitation.....bodes well

Ditto....I'm willing it on with you! It warmed up a bit this morning and ice has thawed, just need the temp to drop just a bit........fingers crossed for all on the east.

Really pleased for the peeps who have had the white stuff already today. Any snaw photos would be fab!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some decent showers visible on radar at present, also a good close up courtesy of NOAA Bern.

post-7292-0-04681700-1327584264_thumb.jp

From Norway meto, latest satellite image of the comma system.

post-7292-0-70369400-1327584252_thumb.jp

Hopefully enough energy to move over here !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Snowing pretty heavily here just now, don't think it will come to much though, better than seeing boring old rain though :)