Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

GLOL HC yer a disgrace big man.... my last virgin was 1992 that has to be a whole other thread :p

I too am concerned at the mood swings in here as i was attracted to this place by the chill out attitude, passion for weather and love of off topic posts and funny people like you and many others.....

anyway I dont believe the firth looked like a bottle..if it did you would have drunk it by noo :drunk:

Moving swiftly on...

A mostly frozen Loch Ussie yesterday... You might just make out a very white Ben Wyvis in the distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Precipitation outside, the lamp post outside is out so I can't really tell what it is but something on the rainy end of sleet perhaps? Encouraging to see convection at the very least. The wind is beginning to veer more to the east now as well which is encouraging perhaps and we'll see what the 18Z mesoscale models say about tonight.

I'm not even going to get into the model output, the larger scale synoptics and background factors have barely changed since yesterday so I'm still fairly bullish on my general outlook. Short term upgrades on the severity of the easterly too, that will hopefully become apparent at mesoscale range soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

My updates may be sporadic as the virgin may take 5 days to sort out my bandwidth.....anyway raining lightly but expected that till nearer midnight....temp at 2.8c

nice pic hc hope u did not try to walk on it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Evening all. Things gone off the rails a tad in the model thread I see .I Don't think it's dire yet and the outlook will probably improve again shortly. I think those models are needing a damn good oil after all the ups, downs, overs and round-a-bouts lately. I am still confident of some snow soon, especially with the encouraging background signals. :winky:

Posted

Evening all. Things gone off the rails a tad in the model thread I see .I Don't think it's dire yet and the outlook will probably improve again shortly. I think those models are needing a damn good oil after all the ups, downs, overs and round-a-bouts lately. I am still confident of some snow soon, especially with the encouraging background signals. :winky:

GFS 18z may well come in and save the day. I think it's becoming more clear that we should focus more on the short term where an easterly is present. It's a fact that the Scandinavian High is here and it's a fact that all models are showing it still there in the realms of FI. That opens a whole door of oppurtinities and day by day, we'll know what next week will offer and then we'd find out whether the easterly will continue or we'll have a milder period before the high takes over again and retrogresses towards Greenland. Short term is good, having a Scandi Hi and easterly flow initially is good and the background signals and trends look good. It's all to play for.

Can't wait for GFS 18z :)

Edited by Campsie Snow Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Big improvements on snowfall potential tomorrow night:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/beta/weather/forecast/?tab=map

fibreglass%20threshold%20ramp.gif ?

Posted

http://www.metoffice...recast/?tab=map

It does look like a little bit more interesting. Looks not too disimilar with the showers the east had today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Met O have given me a wee w24.giffor this evening.

Only one shower around however and while it appears to be very strong, its confined to whitley bay.

Posted

Has to be a wheelchair/electric chair ramp. ? Can't be a doormat as all the muck and moisture would run onto the floor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep.

It's a really teensy-weensy little ramp.

A rampette.

BUT incredibly important to have that ramp because without a little ramp, you'd be completely stuck, right? :)

LPW report for Edinburgh this evening is that it's dark out there and nothing is falling out of the sky of any sort, white or liquid, and it's nippy enough that the cat's staying in...

Posted

http://www.metoffice...recast/?tab=map

I presume you are asking what this is?

Posted

Sorry! El thicko entered a double post.

Posted

Aarrgghh!!

It's ok SL2, it's not your fault it's mine. I bought a bloody snowblower!! :80:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol that's what u call a small ramp....well currently in the Chinese in Perth and had to put petrol in the car on way....my hand was in pain by finishing pumping the petrol such was the coldness of the easterly and ye flags were blowing straight easterly I seen at the car garages.....very sleety and far more intensive precipitation than seemed on radar....truly feels like January and a possibly snowy week ahead

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Evening all from a bl00dy freezing Bonnybridge. Temp already down at -2c but feels a lot colder. Not much of a breeze to speak of here, so not expecting the showers to push this far in. I see from the radar that Morpeth getting a beasting at the moment.

I see one or two nerves have frayed a little...., remember it's only the weather, and the snaw this year is like a pint of Guinness.... It will come to those that wait.

Posted

GFS 18z coming out soon!

Will there be an upgrade for convection in the easterly in the coming days?

Will Scotland be plunged into the freezer next week and be pasted aswell?

Can the Scandi Hi last and keep us in with a shout of more cold, or will we stay in the freezer?

Will the Atlantic comeback mean a snowfest for us - only to be defeated by the mighty Scandi Hi?

Will there be a Greenie High?

We'll soon find out!

Fasten your seat-belts everybody because we're in for a bumpy ride!

gS2A0ZN6.jpg

Posted

Evening all from a bl00dy freezing Bonnybridge. Temp already down at -2c but feels a lot colder.

Blimey, 3.3c/-0.3 here. I am beginning to think that Fife Weather real time display is broken, as it doesn't ever seem to get below freezing lately! Of course we may be picking up some shower clouds? :p (But don't worry, it's only the weather! and it will come to those who wait!) :lol:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Blimey, 3.3c/-0.3 here. I am beginning to think that Fife Weather real time display is broken, as it doesn't ever seem to get below freezing lately!

Yep it's been the same here. Occasionally down at -0.2C or something like that......but for the most part above freezing. 1.2C just now.

Posted

Blimey, 3.3c/-0.3 here. I am beginning to think that Fife Weather real time display is broken, as it doesn't ever seem to get below freezing lately! Of course we may be picking up some shower clouds? :p (but don't worry, it's only the weather!) :lol:

Cars all crispy and white, have been for a while now.