Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted

Currently 2c, bright sunshine and fresh SSE wind making it feel very cold

Shower clouds I presume well to The E and NE over the North Sea.

Even if we only lose the mud on the farm with the dryer air and frost it will be bliss for getting around.

Posted

Get your grannie's cookbooks out and get stuck into the oily fish, oats and Kale! :)

Cheers BleakMidwinter, maybe i'll end up all lovely and mediterranean :)

Was speaking to one of the guys who works up Cairngorm last night, they are all pretty hopeful for the next few weeks, hope they get buried!

Beautiful day here. 2C. Off to walk the pooch (no jokes HC :acute: )

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Morning all. well afternoon now.

Frosty last night. Temp jumped up to 4C and rain showers. The last shower was heavier with bit of ice pellets in it and temp back to 3.5C. Breezy now too. Brr. Not going to be a fun dog walk this afternoon! Off to check the models and see what is what!

First one: The hot and cold filled rolls van is missing. Welcome home. Wave when you pass me.

No idea on the second.

Oooo, is there normally a food van there? I'll end up fat! Take it that they're fair weather/daytime caterers since I haven't seen them once.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Oooo, is there normally a food van there? I'll end up fat! Take it that they're fair weather/daytime caterers since I haven't seen them once.

There is on google earth - where I went to check to see if I was correct!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Nice SS i love troughy thingies..... overtherainbow these look good for us if we can get the right temp and dewpoint......dont hav the elevation so yet again a marginal chance but a good one... maybe............ perhaps hould just stay away from threads models and radars all day and look oot window at midnight.......nah never gonna happen #addicted

I won't let the side down and will be keeping LPW - I'm thinking the Dundonians might be in with an even better shout this evening being bang on the edge?

Actually not sure just checked the NAE again and maybe Braemar area and maybe Blairgowrie with the elevation?

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

The satellite imagery shows the current setup nicely http://sat24.com/en/gb

That's like a training-video, made up so that even the meteoronumpties like me can see what they're meant to be looking at!

Look at it coming in from both sides, and the middle over Scotland getting more squished and linear, and the big Beast from the East boiling and roiling its way across to us! Wow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good to see convection prepping up nicely, much more than forecast (which is to be expected). Unfortunately it will be rain until evening. It should be turning in Oldmeldrum by about 6pm, 9pm widely inland, midnight for Fife, Dundee and Lothians. The Dundee side of the bridge will be best favoured due to the wind direction.

Posted

Showers in NE England are quite wintry and there's already some convection in the easterly. Uppers will get colder tomorrow judging by NAE charts and the easterly flow is decent. Expect at the very least for some snow showers for eastern coasts in the next 2-3 days, as we all know, features and snow events sometime come up with short notice and this theme will continue into next week - even if the flow is slack.

Posted

The satellite imagery shows the current setup nicely http://sat24.com/en/gb

That is a fantastic loop isn't it. very interesting to see.

More showers here but rain - I am thinking by late evening we will have wintry showers here. Not sure how big the maritime influence will be for us. A fine balance I think.

Posted

We had a couple of small showers this morning. First was around 8.30am and provided enough for an icing sugar dusting and the second topped it up a bit. Now up to 2c so all gone, but it was ever so nice to see the flurry. Don't know who was more excited, me or the kids!

Posted

First wintry looking shower coming in from the SE over the top of the snow clad Knock of Braemoray(1500 feet). Small yellow curtains of snow hanging down fom it. Seems to be a few showers working their way in from the east on the radar

Posted

6c, light shower, light SEly breeze here on the Fife Riviera.

Going off the 6z GFS I wouldn't expect any meaningful snow here (ie the exposed Fife coast) until Thursday, or more particularly Friday - need those -10c to -13c uppers in a SEly flow. Still, it'd be nice to see a flake or two, not had a sighting yet this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

6c, light shower, light SEly breeze here on the Fife Riviera.

Going off the 6z GFS I wouldn't expect any meaningful snow here (ie the exposed Fife coast) until Thursday, or more particularly Friday - need those -10c to -13c uppers in a SEly flow. Still, it'd be nice to see a flake or two, not had a sighting yet this winter!

Yeah, good luck with snow in Crail! This is where coastal marginality really bites - 4.2C here now with a 5mph southeasterly. You're really our man on the frontline for the next week for seeing the showers coming in.

Posted

Sadly the latest Met Office forecast for here is rubbish for wintriness

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Remember that the met office aren't great at forecasting precise snow events in moments like these. This cold spell could have a few features coming off the north sea that the met office won't foresee!

So it looks like we've got the cold in, now we just need the snow to follow. By watching forecasts, the models runs before T72 hrs and radar/NAE charts, we'll find out where this cold spell is heading. And of course by mid next week, the models may even show the cold spell continuing.

A determin a cold spell when both maximum and minumum temperatures are below average. Just had a look at the data from Glasgow Airport and it says that we've been in a cold spell since 26th January. It looks set to last at least another 7 days and if the models are underestimating the block/retrogression and overestimating the jet stream, then expect an extended cold spell.

Posted

Yeah, good luck with snow in Crail! This is where coastal marginality really bites - 4.2C here now with a 5mph southeasterly. You're really our man on the frontline for the next week for seeing the showers coming in.

I was checking the Jan 1987 easterly for the ultimate reference point (least in my lifetime): on the 12th I believe uppers were around -17c and Leuchars recorded a max of -2.7c. I would like to know what the max in Crail was that day! Of course I was living in Glasgow at the time and enjoying 15" of snowfall and a max of -5c from the ultimate Forth-Clyde streamer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Edodfc - think I may have found the charts from that abandoned football match back in the 80s..unsure if it is the Tuesday or the Wednesday one.. either way a couple of crackers from the archives.

post-7292-0-26630500-1327851090_thumb.gi post-7292-0-28651200-1327851210_thumb.gi

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Looks like a band of showers are heading inland now. Cloud cover is building from the east with the temperature down to 3.3C, so it might be wintry, certainly a bit further inland.

Posted

Temp now 3.2C and showers have started to get a little sleety. Sky has that easterly look about it (almost as if higher cloud base).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Edodfc - think I may have found the charts from that abandoned football match back in the 80s..unsure if it is the Tuesday or the Wednesday one.. either way a couple of crackers from the archives.

post-7292-0-26630500-1327851090_thumb.gi post-7292-0-28651200-1327851210_thumb.gi

Wow they are things of beauty....your a legend Lorenzo...I'm no closer to discovering who the opposition was