Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Lovely wet snow this afternoon with big fluffy flakes. And there was wee dusting on the grass. Can we expect more tonight?

According to this yes but not holding my breath:

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

Looks like East Kilbride is the definite snow capital of lowland UK at the moment with mighty accumulations almost reaching the top of the insoles of your shoes! Beginning to look a bit dodgy for getting up the hill at the end of the road after work ..

Posted

Looks like East Kilbride is the definite snow capital of lowland UK at the moment with mighty accumulations almost reaching the top of the insoles of your shoes! Beginning to look a bit dodgy for getting up the hill at the end of the road after work ..

UK? Are we not independent yet? :rofl:

Posted

Well, it goes without saying that there's nae snaw in England so I suppose I would've just been as well to say lowland Scotland.

The goats widnae be happy if I said we had mair snaw than the Highlands...

2212608_9429e165_120x120.jpg

Posted

The stuff that's way out west of Argyll looks far more exciting than what we have just had. It's creeping inland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Rain rain rain and it's very cold rain grrrrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Proper fluffy snow in cumbie for the last 45 mins, grounds far too wet for it to lie, although it is getting colder.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Positive developments on the 12z - good upgrades in the reliable term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

BBC radio travel news said, about 30 mins ago, that M77 junction 8 (my turn-off) and about half a mile from my house has very difficult driving conditions due to blizzard. And I'm stuck in Newcastle atm. :sorry:

Posted

BBC radio travel news said, about 30 mins ago, that M77 junction 8 (my turn-off) and about half a mile from my house has very difficult driving conditions due to blizzard. And I'm stuck in Newcastle atm. :sorry:

Parts of Ayrshire seem to have done quite well for once, with an area of precipitation moving up from the south-west this afternoon. Blizzard is a bit of an exaggeration though. Not much wind for a start!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like a bit of an east west split in terms of precipitation type. We can see why http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/01/26/basis12/ukuk/t925/12012618_2612.gif

Knife edge stuff between rain and snow http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/01/26/basis12/ukuk/t925/12012621_2612.gif

Just like the rest of the output then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Odd bit of dandruff here briefly this afternoon, otherwise just chilly.

Hegemonizing swarm of aggressive er... bullfinches followed me for a brief while this afternoon, proclaiming the end of the world or 3m of snow before the end of Feb. Liars.

Posted

Snowing here... quite interested in the "showers" out west for later on tonight. Could be a fun drive in the morning, snowy or icey is the question!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

MWIS about sums it up:

Light snow will edge onto western mountains at times over the weekend, although many mountain areas will be dry with

fairly light winds.

There will then very likely be a few widely dull, murky and drizzly days, although light snow, particularly toward the east.

This will occur as fronts come to a halt across Britain (position uncertain) between cold air to the east and mild

conditions to the west.

Tomorrow looks to be a good hill day; after that, wretched high cloud on this wonderful easterly blots the sun for ever.

Posted

Starting to get a dusting on the grass and cars now as the snow turns heavier. BBC forecast was interesting with the rain turning to snow on Sunday for my birthday :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hegemonizing swarm of aggressive er... bullfinches followed me for a brief while this afternoon, proclaiming the end of the world or 3m of snow before the end of Feb. Liars.

Cat just wandered into the living room as per the below. Do you think it's a sign?

Snow up soutra on the way home, starting to stick there but nothing here.

EDIT. GFS 12z op was no bad in the reliable and it was on the mild side. Check oot some of the members with -15 C uppers.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20120126/12/t850Midlothian.png

post-9421-0-41103400-1327604201_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

NMM suggesting the risk of a moderate snowfall tomorrow rush hour pushing west to east across most of central Scotland. It's been there for a few runs now so something to watching. Still too mild for snow here, 3.5/1C, but given the instability of the airmass passing through a few hours clearing after this shower should see us all in with a shout of snow tomorrow morning. Possibility of something more substantial on Sunday with the UKMO, GFS doesn't have a very nice tilt for it though. After that, a continental flow of some kind is likely, most probably the garbage kind away from the east coast as advertised by HC and MWIS, but after that, who knows. Westerlies being scrubbed according to GP - let's hope they're scrubbed for the rest of winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Snow here started off light and grainy , now decent heavy flakes falling.... GIRUY ECM / GFS 12z :)

Posted

Snow here started off light and grainy , now decent heavy flakes falling.... GIRUY ECM / GFS 12z :)

There were some huge snowflakes falling just as it looked as if it was going to go off. Not much accumulated but still nice to see :) Roll on more snow chances tomorrow morning and Sunday before we even think about the potential next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol Quality.......nothing like a good GIRUY......big fall in morning would be great especially If enough to put off my visitors from Edinburgh as could do with an extra few days fine tuning my presentation.....snow can be a gift in so many ways....anyway as that's unlikely all eyes on Sunday

Posted

We have 'white rain' here according to my sister, which on checking turns out to be sleet. Temperature drapping like a stane the nicht, doon below 3C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

3c here with rain, maybe a touch sleety if you stare long enough. TEmps have dropped a degree in the last couple of hours though. Icy again tomorrow morning I suspect.

Longer term can anyone see how low pressure can get South of the block? Really need that I feel to keep the high to the NE.

Posted

Lol Quality.......nothing like a good GIRUY......big fall in morning would be great especially If enough to put off my visitors from Edinburgh as could do with an extra few days fine tuning my presentation.....snow can be a gift in so many ways....anyway as that's unlikely all eyes on Sunday

You never know with the NMM though (I don't think the 'my media' bit works when putting up previous attachments from a long time ago but it was a very nice chart of an underestimate of precipitation by the NMM).

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Would love it if we could get some snow tomorrow and there's a dusting on the cars and grass right now. Showers out to the west don't look like making any real impact yet. The GFS 12z was a tad disapointing as it shows this battle between the atlantic and the scandi block continuing throughout the entire run but the next few runs will paint a better picture and I'm sure that whatever happens, we will see heights either over Scandi or Greenie and I'm feeling confident of an easterly at the very least.

Not had a look at the model thread yet - what are the other models showing?

Posted

3c here with rain, maybe a touch sleety if you stare long enough. TEmps have dropped a degree in the last couple of hours though. Icy again tomorrow morning I suspect.

Longer term can anyone see how low pressure can get South of the block? Really need that I feel to keep the high to the NE.

2.5c here and bone dry - not often we're a shade cooler than you. Temp has fallen by 2c since 6pm. The patient wait for the first snowflakes of winter goes on!