Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted

h850t850eu.png

You can see here that the beast from the east is trying to unwrap itself but a battle between it and the atlantic is the only thing stopping it from fully suceeding.

h850t850eu.png

So close to something great.

h850t850eu.png

Strong SEly - should probably bring some potent snow for a time.

h850t850eu.png

A nice snowy easterly - just look at the uppers to our east!

h850t850eu.png

As mild as it gets in Europe!

Look over towards Greenland and N Atlantic - A nice area of high pressure is beginning to develop - surely this would block the Atlantic and open the flood gates to an onslaught on cold and snow.

Posted

Spooky stillness this morning gave way to a burst of ever so slightly sleety rain in the middle of the day; then temps started to rise and not much else, certainly not the sap.

My last full time employee who was with me for 25 years would have described todays weather as"hanging" which meant it was about to change to somthing threatning eg high winds, torrential rain, extreme heat or in winter severe cold or blizzards. I described weather, clouds etc this morning as ominous looking and in the model thread it is now begining to look as though this instinctive forecasting may be correct

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

A nice little battle could bring some impressive snowfall as it is fought....trying very hard not to convince myself this is not a done deal.....if the 12z tomorrow is consistent with the 18z tonight I will fully believe...6z will probably hav usual wobble

As the models are now aligning the more important question peeps is what are the tabby cats the sheep and the geese up to today #crucial

Posted

A nice little battle could bring some impressive snowfall as it is fought....trying very hard not to convince myself this is not a done deal.....if the 12z tomorrow is consistent with the 18z tonight I will fully believe...6z will probably hav usual wobble

As the models are now aligning the more important question peeps is what are the tabby cats the sheep and the geese up to today #crucial

Only thing of note as far as nature was concerned today was a flock of several thousand wood pigeon grazing a young grass field .Probably taking the last of the high protein clover leaves and as I have said before made up of local and Scandinavian birds who migrate here in the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This is probably the best ensemble up to 180 hours:

gens-6-1-168.png?18

gens-6-0-168.png?18

A virtual rerun of late November 2010. Interestingly, more runs now have undercutting with fewer showing the 'dry easterly'. It's all starting to come together. Note also the the UKMO 12Z was disowned tonight by the MO in favour of its older brother the 00Z:

PPVO89.png

(Also, Salmond v Paxo on newsnight was a classic encounter tonight, though perhaps not as impressive as the pub run in FI).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

00Zs fine other than the GFS, but since it is just the GFS i won't worry too much, and even it has some interesting battleground situations as the jet undercuts the block.

The ECM once again has a battleground scenario at +120 for inland eastern areas and central areas with a bit of elevation:http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120125/00/ecmt850.120.png

Massive battleground once again around +216 with sub -6C uppers across most of Scotland http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120125/00/ecmt850.216.png

The undercutting signal developing is exactly what we want to see for snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I know its OT, but have to ask - did Salmond win?? :rofl:

I haven't even seen it but yes, a win would be a foregone conclusion....

As for the weather:

Thursday:

Bright or clear spells and showers, these falling as snow across the hills and sleet or hail to lower levels, at times. A frost will develop between the showers overnight. Maximum temperature 5 C.

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Bright or sunny after a frosty start on Friday. Rain and hill snow will develop through the weekend, although it will be drier, at times, in the east.

:)

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I got seriously peed off with Sturgeon's interviewer on radio scotland (sic) just now. I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad, at least give her more than 15 seconds to answer - oh no, as soon as she tried to draw breath...

Wet & mild here, the only signs of life are indoors still/// Looking forward to the next chillier spell - Friday could be a hill day I think...

What's with the sodding bawdlerizing on here?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

8.5 c here........I was more hopeful Sun/Monday would be a likely event than a marginal but as ever battleground has potential for large precipitation amounts developing....I do however seemed to have used the word potential a lot this winter...

I was not aware you could be O/T in here after a week of vasectomy chat :shok::)

8.5 c here........I was more hopeful Sun/Monday would be a likely event than a marginal but as ever battleground has potential for large precipitation amounts developing....I do however seemed to have used the word potential a lot this winter...

I was not aware you could be O/T in here after a week of vasectomy chat :shok::)

Watch out, all this off topic chat will end up getting the snip...

I can vouch that it's a bit ouch and shouldn't be rushed into :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I think how Greenland treats the arrival of high pressure is actually more crucial to us Scots in the long term - although a 'Beasterly' is always welcome, it's a Northerly (with a western or eastern gradient to it) that we really need if we want a full country wide snowy spell and it's a Greenland High that will deliver that. Beasterly followed by northerly, though, I'll take that any day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Met O update now putting the odds of mild S Westerlies at 3/1 so chances much increased for a cold spell from the East. Well overdue but welcome all the same.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Met O update now putting the odds of mild S Westerlies at 3/1 so chances much increased for a cold spell from the East. Well overdue but welcome all the same.

Yes hopefully at least February will deliver our long awaited winter! :search:

There is a small chance of snow after 8pm tonight once the cold front goes through and the good thing is it is getting colder not colder to warmer.

Posted

Watch out, all this off topic chat will end up getting the snip...

I can vouch that it's a bit ouch and shouldn't be rushed into :(

aww naw you have kicked it off again :oops: You are backing up HC into making me say no....right babe yer getting yer tubes tied courtesy of the netweather regional kilted thread....they are the guru

Posted

Not sure I'm keen on the prospect of an easterly to be honest. This is only my seventh winter on the Fife coast but easterlies (especially SElies) tend to be pretty dire, weatherwise, unless accompanied by very cold uppers (<-10c). Dank, drizzly and cold. I realise this is a very IMBY post though - the outlook more generally is very interesting for those seeking snow!

Posted

Latest from the tabby cat model ,cold weather coming the young upstart is snuggling up to the old tabby cat on the rocking chair just now and no fireworks really unusual behaviour.

Posted

aww naw you have kicked it off again :oops: You are backing up HC into making me say no....right babe yer getting yer tubes tied courtesy of the netweather regional kilted thread....they are the guru

Already tried, and failed miserably. More problems occur with the female side of it according to Stat's. :nea:

Very mild in the strong breeze today, felt much warmer than most of June!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Already tried, and failed miserably. More problems occur with the female side of it according to Stat's. :nea:

Well I was up and running after 24hrs! No problems at all with metal clip type and that was 30 years ago. So I would assume that things have progressed even further?..........Drive in? :lol:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

O\T but important!!!

Hairy Haggis thrive in the damp Scottish wilderness and have their hair to keep warm, it all falls out in the summer months making it easier to blend in.

Our bad weather last year did some serious damage to their numbers, so the wilderness society is pleading with the public to forsake the hunt this year.

"Save the hairy haggis"

Should confuse our southern friends for a wee while anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Have you looked into ALL the options - there is a contraceptive pill available for males, you know. It's got a very effective rate, as long as it's taken correctly (just as for women's contraceptive pill). {EDIT - I'm ahead of myself - the male pill appears not to be in commercial production yet - clinical trials have shown it to be very effective - maybe volunteer for the next clinical trials?) So that could be an option that should be at least as effective as a vasectomy, without you needing chopped, oops I mean snipped, and without Mrs-edodfc having to take pills and without having to use barrier methods. Mrs-edodfc might also look into the relatively new Mirena-type IUDs which last five years, so one short visit for it to be fitted and then no problem for half a decade; the Mirena-types have contraceptive hormones and if she prefers not to have those, then the classic IUD is a mechanical function with a similar success rate to the pill, in fact more effective than most pills.

There are about thirty {EDIT - not quite - apparently 15! Sorry} forms of commonly-used contraception, and the snip is only one of them. Sounds to me like maybe further research might be useful? Try your GP, or some of the organisations who must despair at times when their message doesn't get across... :)

http://www.fpa.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/wo...king-about.aspx

http://www.netdoctor...ption_which.htm

Anyway... having the snip doesn't make a vas deferens.... :D

the weather forecasting is... changeable... just now. Last night the snow prediction site had exciting statistical probabilities for Thursday afternoon/ night. All morning it's been feeble for Thursday. Now it's mildly interesting for Thursday. I can't keep up with it!

BM

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted

Have you looked into ALL the options

Blimey, haven't been in here for a while, but have to say that really stretches regional weather discussion to new limits...... :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Blimey, haven't been in here for a while, but have to say that really stretches regional weather discussion to new limits...... :unsure:

I know, Coast - I'd been not-saying-anything for days, though, as the chaps anxiously batted the vasectomy back and forth, and it isn't the ONLY option....

But back to this weather, changeable, eh? Snow predictions are up and down like a... no, we're back to that again... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nether regions discussion?........I'll get my coat!!

Posted

But back to this weather, changeable, eh? Snow predictions are up and down like a... no, we're back to that again... :D

Nether regions discussion?........I'll get my coat!!

:doh: I know there's a wide remit in here, but you guys 'over the wall' really do explore the dark corners of NW. Good luck for all the celebrations tonight BTW!