Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bbc Weather Forecast 18th-19th November 1996

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

thanks for video, this is my snowiest day (that I remember) they did underestimate low level snow, I had a dumping, so imagine what 300m got,

they seemed to overdo max temps as well, the cold spell was legendary, monday to monday, snow showers thur to Sat, then transient snowy breakdown from the west on sunday 24th

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The first of the two forecasts also appeared to underestimate how far north the system got (compare and contrast the front's positioning in the two forecasts), highlighting the fact that the recent difficulties in determining positioning and depth of those deep southerly tracking lows is nothing new.

The forecast may also have underestimated the wintriness of the showers on the 20th/21st. The forecasts suggested mainly rain/sleet showers, but the Tyne and Wear area had widespread falls and accumulations of snow during the evening of the 20th, even within a couple of miles of the coast. I also recall that the cold spell didn't really relax its grip until the 25th- after a band of rain/sleet moved south-eastwards overnight 21st/22nd, there were snow showers in many western areas on the 22nd/23rd (including a rare 1-2 inch accumulation at Lancaster), and some frontal sleet and snow in many places on the 24th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Was only 2 years old when this forecast was done, good to see you uploading some historic videos, how the graphics have changed since then aye!