Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Late February 1993 Wintry Spell

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Don't think my area benefitted from that substancially.

Posted

Another great piece of footage. I remember this spell of weather well - awaiting in anticipation for some long overdue snowfall. We managed some very heavy snow showers in the afternoon but they were quite shortlived and I only recall a cm or two lying by the evening. Much of winter 92/93 was mild apart from the second half of dec and a polar maritime blast in early jan. I don't remember many mornings with snow cover during the whole winter and only one notable snowfall in early january, so the spell at the very end of Feb was much welcomed, indeed for many places it was probably the snowiest period of the whole winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I note that the forecast accurately predicted the showers being set off in inland areas during the afternoon of the 27th February 1993- this also happened in the late-February cold snaps in 2001 and 2004, with the sun just about strong enough to generate homegrown convection in northerly types as we get into late February and early March. Lancaster (in the sheltered north-west of Lancashire) reported snow showers on all three days of the cold snap, though not significant accumulations, presumably because most of the showers fell during daylight hours.

In the Tyne and Wear area snow fell and accumulated overnight 26th/27th, and although the showers moved out into the North Sea during the morning of the 27th, more developed later in the day. The 28th had more heavy snow showers off a NE wind. The 1st March also began with sunshine and snow showers and a snow cover but the showers turned to more of a wintry mix late in the day, with a good deal of slush on the ground, as milder air pushed up from the SE. By the 2nd the snow was largely gone.

Good to see the footage of the late February 1993 forecasts- I didn't really start watching BBC forecasts regularly until the latter part of 1994, so I have no recollections of the BBC's take on that particular cold snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just 2cm of lying snow here from that spell but it was the only lying snow in the whole of February and March and covered the ground for 5 days. February 28th wasn't far off being an 'ice day' with a maximum of 0.5c, the coldest day of the month. The maximum temp' was below 2c each day from Feb' 27th through to March 3rd.

Posted

Just 2cm of lying snow here from that spell but it was the only lying snow in the whole of February and March and covered the ground for 5 days. February 28th wasn't far off being an 'ice day' with a maximum of 0.5c, the coldest day of the month. The maximum temp' was below 2c each day from Feb' 27th through to March 3rd.

The aboved reiterates how cold conditions can still be in late feb/early March. We have seen many cold spells during the period in question in the following winters - 1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2010 (the first half of March 2010 was particularly cold and frosty).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That year was, i think, the least amount of lying snow i have ever seen in a winter season (Midlands), 1cm in the middle of the night early in Jan 1993, a sprinkling in the aforementioned snap at the end of feb on the saturday about teatime, followed by another cm on the sunday afternoon, and a few showers on the sunday night, and a very quick brief cm about 8am on the monday morning which was gone an hour later.

EDIT : Maybe some in the Naughties at least rivalled it, 07/08 (Manchester), springs to mind,

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed- there comes the easterly incursion that I referenced earlier. One thing that strikes me about many of these BBC forecasts is how accurate most of them were. The forecast for the first week of March 1993 accurately pinpointed the synoptic patterns, as did the ones for the 20th-26th November 1993 and the first week of August 1995, and weather patterns were similar to what they predicted.

To be honest if today's Beeb forecasts were anything like that, I would still make a point of watching them, they really were that good.

Posted

One thing that strikes me about many of these BBC forecasts is how accurate most of them were. .

There was a shocker about a month before this, I might post this one sometime, it was part of a Countryfile forecast but it was wrong and it was a forecast for that night. It will be interesting to here what people actually recorded that night weatherwise.

Posted

I do remember the weekend of the cold spell, but don't remember the easterly thereafter - probably because we saw few snow showers. Interesting to see how the easterly then became a northerly - quite a cold wintry start to March 1993 but the rest of the month was preety average from memory.

Posted

There was a shocker about a month before this, I might post this one sometime, it was part of a Countryfile forecast but it was wrong and it was a forecast for that night. It will be interesting to here what people actually recorded that night weatherwise.

I remember you mentioning a forecast of widespread snow off a NW'ly around the 24th/25th January 1993, and in the event, there was a brief NW'ly but snow was mainly confined to high ground with the main feature being gale force winds- could it have been that one?

Posted

I remember you mentioning a forecast of widespread snow off a NW'ly around the 24th/25th January 1993, and in the event, there was a brief NW'ly but snow was mainly confined to high ground with the main feature being gale force winds- could it have been that one?

Yes that was the one

• 3 months later...
Posted

A classic case of the models overdoing a northerly outbreak by the looks of it. I remember that March 1997 and February 1999 also had two or three instances apiece where BBC forecasts went for a potent northerly which in reality either failed to materialise or (as with the 21st February 1993 northerly) produced a 36-hour blast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Thought i didnt remember this when i first started watching the 28th Feb 93 then i twigged...this was the last time i think i played football in Essex..i had moved to Exeter in May1992 and went back to Chelmsford to play in a testimonial that weekend and do remember it being windy and cold with some heavy snow showers..but nothing to write home about..but i do remember scoring twice in a 4-1 win..had to drive back Sunday..and played in a Devon cup semi final replay on the Tuesday night and gave away a penalty got sent of as we lost 2-0...ah happy days!

• 10 years later...