Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Few Questions About The Models...

k19

Posted

I have been a member of this forum for a few years now, and although I don't often post I regularly read the model out thread. I just have a few of questions about how to read the charts:

1. Firstly can someone confirm that a trough is infact visible of the charts as a kink in an isobar of a low pressure system? or am i completely wrong?

2. How can you tell when a trough is going to effect another air mass on a chart? such as when a trough heads up to the north atlantic?

3. How can you decide where the weather fronts are by looking at a low pressure system? I don't understand how they are decided.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Hi Kev

I am sorry that no-one has answered your question. I had lots of questions myself but the format of the forum seems to imply a greater knowledge base than exists in reality. I was hoping to have a detailed chat on many aspects of the weather here but so far a proper discussion thread has been elusive and I still have many areas needing clarification (like coriolis etc).

Please take the following as the answers of a newbie so they may well contain errors.

1. I have seen troughs on charts that relate to an extension of a low pressure area. These are cyclonically curved kinks stretching away from the low....like a valley on an OS map . The other troughs on the met maps are black lines of potentially bad weather that show no clues on the surface pressure maps that I can see. The met map says these lines can also be upper air troughs or low thickness areas.

2. I would suspect that a trough (second defintion-black line on map ones) wouldnt move into another airmass generally because it woud have to pass through a front. It seems to be from map observation a phenomena that occurs within an air mass away from frontal surfaces.

3. http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?14683-Plotting-Fronts. Perhaps also a useful forum :)

I would add that while its not necessarily a good way to plot fronts they are visible on some fo the satellite pics I have seen.

I hope to have helped somewhat.

All the best

Rich