Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - January

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Can someone clarify the following:

1)Where we can find the models that are showing the easterly

2) At what time is the easterly present

3) What would it mean for Scotland

One particular chart that I saw showed Scotland under High Pressure with few isobars (all far apart). Do the isobars need to be closer for North Sea convection? I also read a post from kold weather that what the charts are showing for Scotland would be close call with that easterly. As there's very little Scots on the model thread I and many other members aren't sure about what it would mean for us? Still that particular easterly may never happen but atleast it's a start and hopefully throws up many other oppurtunties for the rest of our winter.

1) http://hw.nwstatic.c.../ecm500.216.png Let's be honest here - it's not technically an easterly here and the PV to the northwest looks a tad strong to allow it develop on that particular run. My ramping isn't based on solely on the latest model output, nice though it might well be

2)8-10 days out, most likely later than that to be honest before the cold properly starts to take hold

3)As modelled by the ECM, very little, since the flow is essentially southerly. Ramping SOLELY about those charts should be confined to southeast dwellers - we'd get more snow out of yesterday's GFS runs than this. However, it's all about the bigger picture, and that chart is a step in the right direction by the models towards a first outbreak of cold. Note that even if it isn't successful, the SSW forecast should ensure that there is at least one much better chance for prolonged cold than this.

If it upgraded slightly i.e. had at least southeasterly winds, then you're absolutely right that convection would be dependent on uppers being below -7/-8C and inland snowfall dependent on more tightly packed isobars i.e. stronger winds. It's too far out to speculate at this stage - just think of it as a precursor to something potentially much more substantive....

edit: I see Rab beat me to it :good:

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Yes LomondSnowstorm is bang on - I suppose you could say we have the chess board and many of the pieces, but the game isn't set up yet, we're not certain that we actually have the queens or the castles and we're undecided as to when exactly we'll be playing. In short, it's all looking very promising but we're really looking for a more north-easterly flow to allow for heavy snowfalls so fingers crossed! :)

Edit: Above is possibly the most pompous thing I've written in a long time! :hi:

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Getting closer..... http://hw.nwstatic.c.../h850t850eu.png

Think we maybe found a pawn there :rofl:

edit: About to jinx it but this pub run looks like turning into something pretty damned fantastic.

edit 2: Just a few hundred miles too far south initially. Going to turn out nicely to end though surely..

Posted

The latest run was quite good, especially for Shetland where there is a raging easterly at around 276hrs

And in parts of the Arctic circle the uppers are going above 0C and we're very close to getting a beasterly at 324hrs.

The PV is taking a hit. That was the best run of the winter so far as we came close to a decent easterly with Shetland benefiting greatly. Further south, the mood would have dimmed somewhat but I have to say that I'm surprised at how decent that run was and it carries on the theme of a weakening PV, a developing cold pool over Europe which we might end up in.

Posted

A bit of a messy setup and not exactly ideal but if we get to here by the 23rd I'll be bouncing off the walls http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gfs/runs/gfs-2012010718-0-384.png?18 Just one run though, the pub run, and I know we're all mature enough not to get overly excited about what are still FI charts but for once the background signals and the model runs are beginning to agree quite nicely....

Posted

EDIT: At the very end of the run, the entirety of Scotland is under an easterly!

A bit of a messy setup and not exactly ideal but if we get to here by the 23rd I'll be bouncing off the walls http://176.31.229.22...18-0-384.png?18 Just one run though, the pub run, and I know we're all mature enough not to get overly excited about what are still FI charts but for once the background signals and the model runs are beginning to agree quite nicely....

Yes, it's improving run after run so there is a real trend there. But the positives to take from the pub run is that at the end it does show Scotland under an easterly for the first time this winter; the PV looks like it's going; there's a great cold pool over Europe; it seems that the cold air is flooding further south and west and we may tap into it; and this is all before the end of January too!

Posted

I feel like doing a fantasy island analysis!

h850t850eu.png

Cold pool over Europe, warming further north, 1032mb over N Scandi

h850t850eu.png

The cold pool decided to try and visit us. Look at the trail of green to the north. High pressure over Scandi.

h850t850eu.png

Unfortuantly, despite the Scandi Hi and warming Arctic, an area of low pressure tries to stop the approaching big freeze. As a result, Shetland gets a raging SEly.

h850t850eu.png

The battle between the low pressure and big freeze continues resulting in a beasterly for Shetland and lots of snow.

h850t850eu.png

The cold pool remains intact and is still willing to say hello.

h850t850eu.png

Suddenly, we have a breakthrough with low pressure to our south a Scandi Hi, Higher Pressure over Greenland with PV weakening and of course an easterly for much of Scotland.

h850t850eu.png

Final chart. All of Scotland under an easterly and -6C uppers. -10C uppers at Shetland. Scandi Hi, low pressure to the south. Lots of greens near Greenland with 1024 mb and still 35 days of winter left after this.

BINGO!

Posted

One thing to bear in mind is that the first attempt at setting up an easterly is often unsuccessful. For example, in December 2009 we had a similar 'will it won't it' situation and the first easterly progged eventually downgraded to nothing. Not that it mattered by that point because behind it was something much more promising. Equally there have been fantasy easterlies that came to nothing - http://91.121.94.83/...18-1-300.png?18

But all the same, Steve Murr just got the '47 charts out and I have to say it was a shame most datasets don't go back that far otherwise it may well have had merit as an analoguous year (mid january flip, weak la nina(?)) :lol:

Posted

One thing to bear in mind is that the first attempt at setting up an easterly is often unsuccessful. For example, in December 2009 we had a similar 'will it won't it' situation and the first easterly progged eventually downgraded to nothing. Not that it mattered by that point because behind it was something much more promising. Equally there have been fantasy easterlies that came to nothing - http://91.121.94.83/...18-1-300.png?18

I remember that after last winter's big freeze, there were many great easterlies around, particulary in February!

I'm not going to get too excited too yet but there's quite obviously a trend towards a Scandi Hi, weakening PV, maybe even a Greenie Hi (ramp).

And most importantly, it looks likely that there's going to be a cold pool over Europe, it's just a question of when we will tap into it.

As the latest run showed, it had one attempt to say hello, never gave up and had a back-up plan that succeeded. With the expected SSW and the likelyhood of a colder Europe then I would imagine that perhaps there will be many more attemps from the cold pool to swallow us up. I believe that once the cold pool is instore, and the SSW, a greenie hi or scandi hi is possible and with a lot of winter left it remains possible for us to at least a few more attempts before finally being put into the freezer.

I'm feeling very confident as whatever happens this week or next week, there's a lot of winter left, there's a predicted SSW, possible height rises over Scandi and Greenland, a cold pool to our east, decent models and lot of time left for us to eventually end up in the freezer.

Also, when is the next run?

Posted

The 18Z ensembles tonight are a complete shambles http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=18&lat=66.92307692307693&lon=17.075471698113205&runpara=0&type=1&ext=1

That's the air pressure for northern Sweden. Very limited model support for the Scandi High at all. So, which is it - the ensembles or the GFS and ECM? I'm tempted to bin the ensembles because a) it's the easier choice and B) an overpowering PV just makes no sense at all given the strat. picture. So we'll go with that, until the 00Zs come out with raging zonality and a Bartlett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wow, you go out for a few hours and look what happens :).Amazing charts, everything has gone off on one.

Spectacular changes all over FI runs, very easy / easterly on the eye.

post-7292-0-85954900-1325979396_thumb.gi post-7292-0-17684300-1325979383_thumb.pn

Mashed Vortex.

Then GFS and ECM both calling this set up..

post-7292-0-14866200-1325979878_thumb.pn post-7292-0-86912300-1325979861_thumb.gi

Must admit I never expected the pattern to accelerate to change that quickly, so am looking on these with caution. The main thing here is that the PV takes an almighty hit. Looking more like disintegration vs displacement. Great to see that flat Jet carved to bits.

Ensembles also looking good - this is for Aberdeen approx location.

post-7292-0-64108300-1325980286_thumb.gi

Looking this evening that the bundles of patience shown will be worth it !

Posted

So, without any hmmms, buts, ifs and maybes, what is everyone's actual opinion about what the latter part of January and Febuary is going to bring.

So, out of 100, what are your odds on a decent cold spell sometime this winter (a cold spell lasting at least 5 days, bring some snow and low temps to everyone).

I'm going for 68 in favour of a decent cold spell and 32 not in favour.

And the predicted cold spell if it come off out of 10. I'm going for 8/10 during the second week of February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

So, without any hmmms, buts, ifs and maybes, what is everyone's actual opinion about what the latter part of January and Febuary is going to bring.

So, out of 100, what are your odds on a decent cold spell sometime this winter (a cold spell lasting at least 5 days, bring some snow and low temps to everyone).

I'm going for 68 in favour of a decent cold spell and 32 not in favour.

And the predicted cold spell if it come off out of 10. I'm going for 8/10 during the second week of February.

Of all my years of model watching, I've got to say it's never ever going to be that clear cut. I'll give percentages for the sake of interest, but they are only an estimate at best. Odds of a cold spell in Scotland between now and mid-March...I'd say 90/100, perhaps higher. Do remember that we're actually a North Western European nation and seeing as the Arctic is actually its coldest in late Feb / early March, northerly outbreaks really can deliver late in the season (March 2006 anyone?). Of a decent cold spell, perhaps as high as 80/100 given the very impressive SSW that is forecast to take place around the 17th of January, perhaps a little bit lower / higher depending on what the models show over over the next couple of weeks.

It really is so difficult to give probabilities with regards to snow and cold, but I really am confident of a cold spell at some point over the next two months. I'll give a more in depth analysis tomorrow.

Posted

Cool, grey and breezy here in the wilds of Moray. Will be heading doon the A9 later today, might take a few snaps around Drumochter if light permits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cool, grey and breezy here in the wilds of Moray. Will be heading doon the A9 later today, might take a few snaps around Drumochter if light permits.

Cool? Nah, this is 'mild'! 7C here anyway. Grey but little wind & the odd spot of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

7 degrees and very cloudy.....this time next week should be looking at already chillier conditions and some exciting weather approaching.....fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Grey, dreich, 8.4c and no wind. Yawn..... :lazy:

Posted

The 00z and 06z model runs weren't too bad, hinting that we might be close to pulling some of, so it really is a case of watch this space.

The 00z run showed us at the end part of the cold pool over Europe with light winds and -5C.

The 06z run showed that cold pool trying to reach us again with only the jet stream stopping it. The positioning, strength and timing of low pressure is key here. At the end of the run there is some sort of a Scandi Hi with 1024mb and a north easterly originiating from the Baltics except that the uppers are above 0C!

Remember, that even if the first potential attack from the NE doesn't happen, then with 7 days of Janaury left, I wouldn't be surprised if the cold air over Russia flooded into Europe and wants to say hello to Scotland and considering a SSW, we should see many more better chances with the great amount of time left.

Posted

It looks like a rather benign week of weather ahead with less of the dramas that the previous month or so. Having had a look a bit further ahead it does look as though there will be a general cooling down. Friday onwards things start to look a bit more interesting with mean 850's dropping to around -5c across much of Scotland, the ECM and GFS indicating a more amplified pattern and looking at the the NH charts a split of the PV over the pole at about 120hrs. All signals that point to a decent chance of colder weather. As always, subject to change.

Posted

I'm still reading posts around the forum suggesting that the sun is too strong for cold now and that there'll be no easterly. Honestly, I think there should be some great optimism after yesterday's unexpected great runs that caught most by surprise. I believe that once we do have SSW(s) then we would begin to see more established heights over Scandi or Greenir and also cold air flooding into Europe and the jet going south. Plenty of chances left yet and these could either be a great 4 day easterly or a long lasting freeze.

In terms of posts regarding the sun is too strong then people are never satisfied with comments in December saying winter doesn't start till the 21st, now January is Spring!

But I'm still not rulling out an easterly before the month is out as it does look colder beyond mid-month and that cold pool is trying to reach here with low pressure only stopping it - if we see any changes to the positioning of these low pressure then it could be a lot more promising. The next 40 runs will be the ones that begin to paint the picture. That's 40 chances for an easterly before February, not the entire winter!!!!

Posted

Very mild indeed. Sitting around 8C. Not a terribly memorable weather day but as the daylight goes to darkness it is does so with a beautiful pink glow to the sky above the hills, very nice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

8,6c here and cloudy but dry.

Just back from visiting the family in Highland Perthshire. Cloudy and mild there too with some showers. Snow retreated up the hills with only a few patches left in the shade at valley bottom level in the Grandtully/ Aberfeldy area at around 100 mtrs asl. These will soon be gone I feel.

Looking like at the least we will head towards some cool/cold zonality after next weeks mild spell with some chances of an Easterly developing towards the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Yes I noticed outside here in Coatbridge a strange yellow-pink tinge to everything before it got dark. Was a bit worried at first thought there may have been a fire somewhere or something worse, it looked very strange indeed.