Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Remember December 2010?

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Was just flicking through my old hard drive and came across these, thought it would be a nice time to share them. :):D

post-8895-0-59726800-1325612497_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-98972400-1325612506_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-14428200-1325612512_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-46943100-1325612518_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-02813700-1325612524_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-81688900-1325612537_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-13986000-1325612545_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-73992500-1325612553_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-24507300-1325612620_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-04104200-1325612737_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-39091000-1325612746_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

I've always hated pink until I started looking at these LOL :-). Ahh such a fabulous time with the sledge and then 3 year old. Hope we can see the likes of that snowfall again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Thanks for sharing, although we received a foot at the beginning of December (lived in York at the time) i did not see one flake from that Northerly blast. Many places in the Vale of York didnt also. We usually do well from Northerlys but that was slightly NNW hence no snow. Was annoying at the time but now i would do anything for one!

Posted

yeah i remember the winter of 2010 how can i forget that the snow we had here fell on dec 17th and had 15inches of it cold temps -17.5 for a month lasted 2 weeks the snow hope it comes again like that these light snow coverings dont last long enough

Posted

Once in a 120 year event and the likes we will not see (in December at the very least) in our lifetime.

Temperature fell to -11.7c in the 20th

Highest temperature was only +8.8c on the 29th

Maximum was only -2.2c on the 3rd

Posted

A maximum of -8c on December 21st under an inversion in the Dove valley and a maximum of -6.6c according to buxtonweather.co.uk on the same day. According to here: http://www.ukweather...10/page__st__22 there was a -20.3c minimum in relatively nearby Alfreton on December 7th. Indeed, it dropped to -16c on the car thermometer on that morning a bit closer to home. Truly incredible.

Edited by Harve

Posted

Once in a 120 year event and the likes we will not see (in December at the very least) in our lifetime.

Never say never! It may be a once in 120 year event according to the stats we have available, but they only date back 350 years or so. Given climate variation we cannot say with any degree of certainty that we will never see another month, or even another December, like it in our lifetime! Havng said that, I think too many expect that every cold spell should produce the same (it happened in December 2010, so why isn't it happening again), which is what I think you are saying!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

December 2010 was even more remarkable temperaature-wise at Cleadon (near the Tyne and Wear coast) than in the CET zone. Most severe months come out with a higher mean temperature in the Tyne and Wear/Durham area, even 5-10 miles inland, than in CET-land because of moderation from the North Sea- this often gives the North East heavy convective snowfalls, but also lifts the temperature to near or above freezing.

During December 2010 the mean temperature at Cleadon was -0.1C, only slightly above what the CET zone achieved. This was mainly due to the spells 3rd-9th and 17th-26th December, when a combination of deep snow cover and light, mainly north-westerly, breezes allowed temperatures to fall very low overnight, with 6 overnight readings of -9C or below. Stats from nearby Durham (which was only a couple of tenths of a degree colder than Cleadon that month- normally the difference is upwards of 0.5C) suggest that there probably weren't any colder Decembers at Cleadon since at least the mid 1800s, although January 1979 and February 1986 were probably about as cold (both were slightly colder than December 2010 at Durham).