Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - January

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

We got one for both big storms in December as well, a bit over the top I think. A red warning is supposed to be for exceptional events and a storm in January is hardly exceptional in Donegal!

Shame its happening at night as I'll probably be asleep for the worst of it, I'm on an island off the north west coast right now so it would have been great to head up to the cliffs during the peak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I don't think anyone was having a go at you Geoff. But I agree, I don't live in Donegal myself but as was mentioned, weather like this for the time of year isn't all that exceptional and shouldn't warrant a red warning. Orange would do the job I think.

Posted

I don't think anyone was having a go at you Geoff. But I agree, I don't live in Donegal myself but as was mentioned, weather like this for the time of year isn't all that exceptional and shouldn't warrant a red warning. Orange would do the job I think.

Beat me to it Juuyoku I really don't think Harps was having a go either, just commenting on what conditions in Donegal can be like at this time of year

Peace

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Nobody was having a go geoff, you just pointed out a warning. Lets keep the thread in good spirit please. Winds will be strong, but not extremely and this is why a red warning may be a bit OTT from Meto and so any disagreement is with them and not with yourself. Keep up the good work of updating people though, it's what we are here for.

Posted

Hey Watcher hope you are feeling better - keep drinking the whiskeys its the bestthing to get rid of a cold.....honest!!

Still dieing and the whiskey has all dried up. There seems to be an elephant running around in my head and probably the biggest bogie monster alive taking up my nasal passage and dispersing his daily doodoos every 5 minutes. A super man flu born of my 4 year old daughter. At least snow hasn't arrived yet or I'd be sitting in my kipper looking out with a wee sad face.

Posted

Met office forecast indicated that there would be snow on the leading edge of the rain edging in from the South West. Anybody seeing any sniow out of this yet?

Ronan should be nearing the moderate stuff by now and so I'm sure he'll be in to let us know. No rain arrived with me yet as I'm ENE so I'll be second last to recieve. Some bright echoes in that band though.

Posted

This is for you Watcher the truth about man flu.

Aww, I was doing a viral video for YouTube about man flu and how women couldn't handle such a thing, but now that someone has already done one :'(. My bed ridden week continues.

Posted

still calm in bangor, not sure how strong the wind will be???? the watcher, any ideas for local area?

as in i told ,my parents to expect storm damage but now im thinking that was OTT?

Posted

Strongest winds for East coast will be as the Low passes to our North and moves East, nothing of major proportion though, gusts to 45/50mph maybe during the West/Northwesterly winds. We as ever are very sheltered due to location and our best winds usually come on the back end of strong storms centred Central Scotland with a strong jet heading SE/E overhead. Strongest winds around 3-6am tonight I'd say.

Posted

Actually scrap that, was looking at the wrong timescale on the models (silly phone). It looks a little worse than that but still not extreme. Strongest winds 60/65mph gusts, during morning. Still high enough for structural damage and in the large area of heavy rain we may see some higher than that in Bangor due to quick downbursts of wind/squalliness. The North and West bearing the brunt though with 70-80mph gusts.

Posted

Heavy rain here also now but no wintriness. She may need to fetch the wheelie bin in the morning geoff but other than that her house is safe. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Your not on Tory are you Harps?

Arranmore, not far from Tory.

Didn't see the post but just to clarify geoff, I wasn't having a go at all, just saying that I think a red warning is a bit OTT for what looks to be a pretty typical winter storm.

Wet and windy here but nothing out of the ordinary yet, I'm quite sheltered from a SW wind so even though I'm right out in the Atlantic I'm not going to experience the worst of it. Frustrating to think that a 5 minute drive away I could be experiencing close to hurricane force winds! Not going to risk a drive out to the cliffs on a night like this though

Posted

Its starting to get going here now! There's been some rain and the wind is picking up. Usually on a windy day or night I'd really hear the wind around the back of the house but tonight I'm hearing it more around the front, where my bedroom is lol so could be a long night for me! Im hearing stuff knock about outside. With strong gusts I hear all sorts of creaking to my house but Im not worried- I've been here almost 3 years and it's still standing. However I do fear for what is left of my chimney pot :p

Posted

Ronan should be nearing the moderate stuff by now and so I'm sure he'll be in to let us know. No rain arrived with me yet as I'm ENE so I'll be second last to recieve. Some bright echoes in that band though.

Didn't see anything at all Watcher. Was out cold on the sofa and just wakened. Had a great hill walk with the dogs today in the Bluestacks! It really is a beautiful place! I think i was pretty lucky last night to see snow as there wasn't allot on my drive through Donegal. Baronsmore Gap had a bit and the mountain road over into Castlederg had a bit but no real decent amounts anywhere. Heres some photos from my walk today.

post-1251-0-98032600-1325554152_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-97235600-1325554203_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-41326500-1325554227_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-91856800-1325554329_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-91348400-1325554341_thumb.jp

Edited by ronan

Posted

Jesus it's rough out there, the wind woke me up! On the Met Office, the reading for 4am at Magilligan was 31mph sustained, 44mph gusts and pressure of 970mb. The 5am reading was 53mph sustained, 79mph gusts and 969mb pressure! What a difference!

Posted

Ive been woken up by my shed roof being ripped off, bins blown over everywhere and also few trees down. Its very rough here. actually scared me a bit