Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winters With 3 Below Average Months

A Winter's Tale

Posted

Whether it's the old saying Winter Starts after Xmas or 2010/2011 ended before New Year, we can't always get exactly what we want. Of course, 3 months of severe cold (as what some people on here would love and the likes of Madden forecast) has probably never happened and may never will. But of course there are winters that have 3 months below average - some close to average, some months incredibly cold. As I don't know the Average temperatures of December, January and February, I'd love to know what a below average winter month is and to find out how many winters have had every month below average as I'd like to see whether it's not as rare as I would think and also to prove that 2010/2011 has no real need to be critisized as winter with all 3 winter months below average isn't all that common.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Whether it's the old saying Winter Starts after Xmas or 2010/2011 ended before New Year, we can't always get exactly what we want. Of course, 3 months of severe cold (as what some people on here would love and the likes of Madden forecast) has probably never happened and may never will. But of course there are winters that have 3 months below average - some close to average, some months incredibly cold. As I don't know the Average temperatures of December, January and February, I'd love to know what a below average winter month is and to find out how many winters have had every month below average as I'd like to see whether it's not as rare as I would think and also to prove that 2010/2011 has no real need to be critisized as winter with all 3 winter months below average isn't all that common.

If you are talking about the CET then 2009 / 2010 had all 3 below average in terms of the CET, Dec 3.1 (Anom -1.6), Jan 1.4 (Anom -2.3), Feb 2.8 (Anom 1), I have got a big long printout of all the CET months since records began but the way they are printed would make it a long task to go right back through them and also im not sure what the 'average' was back then.

78/79 had december just below average and Jan and feb way below average.

62/63 all three way below average.

46/47 December below, Jan well below and feb stupidly cold.

40/41 december cold, Jan very cold, feb cold.

There are quite a few but not that many recently, 90/91 is arguable depending on what your using as the average.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

How about this for three below-average winter months?

December 1683 = 0.5

January 1684 = -3.0

February 1684 = -1.0

Yes, there are some really good ones the further you go back.

Posted

If you are talking about the CET then 2009 / 2010 had all 3 below average in terms of the CET, Dec 3.1 (Anom -1.6), Jan 1.4 (Anom -2.3), Feb 2.8 (Anom 1), I have got a big long printout of all the CET months since records began but the way they are printed would make it a long task to go right back through them and also im not sure what the 'average' was back then.

78/79 had december just below average and Jan and feb way below average.

62/63 all three way below average.

46/47 December below, Jan well below and feb stupidly cold.

40/41 december cold, Jan very cold, feb cold.

There are quite a few but not that many recently, 90/91 is arguable depending on what your using as the average.

Didn't winter 08/09 come close to recording three below average months albeit only slightly below in each case?. Winter 05/06 also I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

2009/2010 had 3 below average winter months here..

And yes obviously 62/63..

At Brize Norton, January 1963 had a Mean Maximum temperature of -0.3c and a mean minimum of -5.5C and an overall mean temperature of -2.6C, that's like a January in Stockholm.