Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
A Winter's Tale

Your Memories Of The Late December Cold Spells Of 1995 And 2000

30th December 2000: breakdown on the way

New Year's Eve 2000: disappointing the snowfall amounts around this area from this breakdown

That was the coldest weather I've ever experienced: -25 at night -17 in mid-afternoon...But I was mid-way between Drumnadrochit and Cannich at the time.

I remember both cold spells very fondly. The winter of 95/96 was the best I have ever experienced, a combination of the cold spell in the December and then that snowfall in early February. The summer of 1995 was amazing too in the west of Scotland, but that's another topic for another day.

December 1995 will be remembered for the brutal cold. I worked at Glasgow Airport at the time and can remember going into work for 6am starts in the extreme cold; it hurt my lungs to breathe. There was a huge amount of damage done by the cold weather, many properties were badly flooded as a result of the cold water pipes freezing and then thawing. My dad's office was one casualty and was quite badly damaged by burst pipes which brought down the ceilings. I worked in McDonald's at the time, a lot of our equipment froze up even inside the airport. I can remember going for walks round the fields at the back of Kilmacolm. The small burns (streams) in the fields had all frozen up, but had frozen as they flowed downhill so they looked like mini-glaciers. I wish I had photos of this as it's one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. That cold spell was amazing in terms of absolute cold, what followed just six weeks later at the start of February was even more amazing but that's not the topic of this thread!

The cold spell of December 2000 will be remembered for the heavy snow which struck on the 28th. I was seeing a young lady from Northern Ireland at the time and was travelling over from Scotland that day to spend New Year with her. I went to Paisley to get the train to Stranraer, from what I remember the train was supposed to pass through Paisley at 7.30am but hadn't turned up by 7.40am. A quick check by the station staff found that the train was still at Glasgow with some issues with frozen pipes. It did turn up fairly soon afterwards. When we got past Girvan the train got stuck on a slope, no amount of wheelspins (aye, on a train!) could get us up the slope. The driver got out and sanded the tracks (well that's what he told us) and we got away. In the meantime there was the most intimidating red sky I have seen in my life; again I wish I had a photograph of it. The train eventually arrived in Stranraer to the sight of the ferry sailing up Loch Ryan. After waiting a few hours for the next ferry (and enjoying the very sunny day which had developed) I boarded the ferry and only realised half way across the North Channel that it was snowing like crazy.

Anyway, I'm meandering now, Belfast was chaos of the whitest kind and a half hour trip took four hours in heavy snow and its aftermath. I think it was their heaviest snow for quite a long time, I felt afterwards as if I had missed out as there was a lot more snow depth reported back home in the west of Scotland!! New Year came with rain only in N.I., I don't remember any breakdown snow at all.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Conditions between the 28th and 31st December 2000 were very similiar to the conditions of December 2010 in terms of snowcover and a deep cold pool sitting over the country allowing very low minima and maxima to be recorded - something distinctly lacking this winter.

I'm amazed Whitehaven Harbour managed to freeze over in such a short space of time - I don't recall it doing this in December 2010 for instance.

The last week of December 2000 was everything I want from a decent wintry spell, one decent fall of snow followed by sub zero sunny blue sky days.

The last week of December 1995 was colder here but we didn't have the snowcover of the last 4 days of 2000, still the last week of Dec 95 for me just edges out 17-26 Dec 10 in terms of delivering our most severest cold conditions since Jan 87.

Got down to -13c in some western parts of ireland during the late Dec cold spell of 2000. A snow depth of 19cm was recorded at Knock airport ,county Mayo.