Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Is The Definition Of A White Christmas?

Posted

For many years, people have complained about the Met Office definition of a white christmas that includes just a single flake of snow instead of the ground being all white. There's also been some confusion that for example, if there had been a snowfall in a small village during the day and nowhere else then would it be or would it not be a white xmas as a Met Office Weather Station wouldn't have observed it.

Also, let's say that there had been snow observed in Aberdeen, whereas everywhere else had nothing, would that mean that WE had a White Christmas.

For me a White Xmas is: Falling or lying snow in my location sometime during the 24 hours of Xmas Day or falling snow being reported in one of the Met Office Sites.

So what's your definition of a White Xmas and do you agree with the met office definition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the Met Office are behind the "technical" UK definition of a "white Christmas"- the bookies hijacked the white Christmas and defined it for betting purposes as an occurrence of sleet or snow (even if just a few blobs mixed with rain) during the 24 hours of Christmas Day.

A common definition used in many other countries is the "snow lying at 9am" one, which I think is somewhat better than the "sleet/snow falling" one but has the disadvantage that we can have a Christmas Day that starts bright and frosty with no snow, then we get a dumping of snow at 10-11am, and yet it doesn't count as a white Christmas.

Personally I define a white Christmas as a Christmas day with at least a centimetre of snow, covering more than 50% of the ground, at some point between 0900 and 2359.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

A programme I watched the other month mentioned that the 'official' criteria for a white Christmas in the UK was at least a single snowflake falling in at least one of select places across the UK, e.g. football stadiums, Buckingham Palace.

My idea of a White Christmas would be similar to TWS's idea above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not technical, but i class the last 2 years as white Xmas's no falling snow, but snow on ground, where as snow falling and not lying still a green Xmas

Posted

So places like Finland, Norway etc countries covered by snow for most of the winter they have a white christmas every year even if snow doesent fall on the day itself.

I wouldnt class a single flake on the big day a white christmas, but snow on the ground then yes.

Regards

Les

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snow on the ground or falling at any given moment on the 25th of December, no funny business!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

If when I wake up and look out of the window on the 25th December the grass is covered with snow then for me it's a white Christmas, even if like last year the snow didn't actually fall on Christmas day !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Full snow cover on the ground on the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

ground white with snow during daylight hours for me....not worried if snows on the day....but prefer it :) put the tree up with snow falling though so it would be nice to see snow falling as kids open presents.....the models do not look good but plenty time yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

I'm quite content with the current "official" description for a white christmas, however, for me personally, I'll call it a white crimbo, when there's lying snow outside on crimbo morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I would accept snow falling as a white christmas,

but the ground covering of it would be the one i would use.

A single flake falling on...whatever, where thats all that occurs is a few flakes then that is just not one for me, i think an amount that can be measured on the ground is how it should be done or at least in a snow gauge.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm