Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Well the last two days have certainly shown how fickle the weather can be, yesterday seemingly by a miracle everything went right now today on the other hand seemingly that could go wrong has gone wrong lol

In seriousness we really couldn't expect much else out of an Atlantic driven weather system especially for those of us who live more coastal, with the way things are now it's simply too marginal, we just happened to be on the right side of it yesterday. As has been already well established on here the only way we'd be guaranteed more of the same or more is if we had a proper blocking pattern, Hopefully we'll start to see a change towards something like that at some point in January, fingers crossed.

For now I'm just happy for what we managed to get as I really didn't expect much if anything at all a few days ago.

Sadly I dont see any blocking going on over greenland in January yet, and i dont see the pv splitting any time soon either. Problem is any blocking occuring now would produce cold temperatures and frost, which is no good if you want snow.

Are we to expect anything over the next few hours or days?

Edit: Just looked at the gfs and it shows snow for the south of the region at 6 tonight. Is this looking likely

Only thing to expect now, is milder weather moving in, during the next couple of days..maybe a ferw flakes over the south of the region at an extreme push..but even then id be rather surprised.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Temp rapidly falling.

I can actually take a few days of mild weather and not to fussed about snow over Christmas Days because if it did snow I would want to get a train to Edale or Windermere and they don't run on Christmas Day ;)

Though I am hoping for a good January. Not bothered about record breaking cold, I just want good snowfall.

Posted

Sadly I dont see any blocking going on over greenland in January yet, and i dont see the pv splitting any time soon either. Problem is any blocking occuring now would produce cold temperatures and frost, which is no good if you want snow.

Yep, that's indeed how things look at the moment.

The only thing we can do really do is to constantly keep an eye out for that potential SSW however long that takes, if it does then we're in business and something at least similar to GP's forecast could come off, if it doesn't before late feb/early well let's not think about that just yet that eh.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp is falling quite rapidly here, down to 1.1c.

Edit 0.5c now....

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

1.8C after a high of 4.7C.

Felt very Christmassy shopping around Liverpool in those temperatures. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Well here in Leyland (south lancs) we had really heavy snow yesterday, at first it wasnt sticking but then we got a decent covering. Today its all gone now due to the heavy rain and then slight sleety rain this aft. Just the odd fluffy cloud in a blue sky now, very cold though. Hey ho c'mon snow!

Hi SparkleS, welcome. You're not far from me.

It got down to -1.2c here last night.

Currently -0.1c, dewpoint -0.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

an intresting line of PPN is set to cross the southern parts of the region at 0500 in the morning

areas effcted include merseyside,parts of greater manchester and cheshire spreading into the

North midlands,now the gfs and mae show this as snow meto show it as sleet or rain

my predicted stats at that time as a IMBY prospective are

temp 0c

DP -1C

850,S -5

so given the timing the ppn is set to cross the above said areas wet snow is a distinct possibility

of course IF the above happened any wet snow that settles will quickly thaw as temps are predicited

to reach 5c tomorrow,but an intresting few hours first thing in the morning is a possibility

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

an intresting line of PPN is set to cross the southern parts of the region at 0500 in the morning

areas effcted include merseyside,parts of greater manchester and cheshire spreading into the

North midlands,now the gfs and mae show this as snow meto show it as sleet or rain

my predicted stats at that time as a IMBY prospective are

temp 0c

DP -1C

850,S -5

so given the timing the ppn is set to cross the above said areas wet snow is a distinct possibility

of course IF the above happened any wet snow that settles will quickly thaw as temps are predicited

to reach 5c tomorrow,but an intresting few hours first thing in the morning is a possibility

C.S

If the winds are light, then there's a chance of snow. If they pick up any further than now, it will be rain.

Although winds are North. Not a bad chance of snow. :D

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

well at least from monday to weds next week its gonna be into double figures then back down hill after that so they say lol

Yeah the warmth is only progged for a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Does anyone know if any snow is lying in the Lake District? I'm undecided as to whether I should come across on Sunday or Monday, and the weather may sway my decision! It was only 2°C here this afternoon, but I'm a little worried by some of these mild temperatures being reported in the North West!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

New Thread here :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71967-north-west-england-regional-discussion-thread/

This thread will be closed shortly.

Does anyone know if any snow is lying in the Lake District? I'm undecided as to whether I should come across on Sunday or Monday, and the weather may sway my decision! It was only 2°C here this afternoon, but I'm a little worried by some of these mild temperatures being reported in the North West!

I'm not sure. Have you tried asking in the Far North of England thread?