Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

Should Alcohol Be Banned?

A customer who's getting sloshed but isn't causing any trouble a landlord will sell him beer happily. Suddenly refusing him/her may suddenly cause violence so they'll keep serving. If the customer becomes abusive before hand they'll stop serving.

Seen plenty of people extremely drunk and the only thing they've done is gone home quietly at the end of night.

This why clubs should use their security to enforce tighter controls and nip violence in the bud.

If laws were brought in to shut places down that didn`t tow the line then establishments would have to put customer safety and comfort(no drunks here)before profit.

Some people will not control their drink so if they have to be told no and please leave so be it.

All decent outfits have cctv now so identifying offenders shouldn`t be a problem.

Added to that, Phil, what's wrong with police action? There are plenty of laws available, if only they were used!

Added to that, Phil, what's wrong with police action? There are plenty of laws available, if only they were used!

Yes agreed SS-if in house security need back up.

It`s all about manpower and money.You`re right about laws already there for example so called Alcohol free zones-not always enforced because of lack of police on the ground.

Speaking as a former barman for Barracuda (large chain - 400+) i can tell you that there was a limit to how much people got served in that if they were falling over i would refuse to serve them and offer them coke until the taxi came although i have seen many pubs where people are just fed more and more alcohol.

All decent outfits have cctv now so identifying offenders shouldn`t be a problem.

LOL they're going to be very busy identifying people who have a wobble. Just thinking about my friend she lost her temper for no reason for about a minute which may not be related to drink at all. Should she be banned.

Speaking as old fart we could only buy takeout drinks from the outdoor sales of the local pub with very few other outlets 50 years ago.

Once the growth of independent off licence shops and then supermarkets got underway then drink became widely available.

This has enabled the younger people to preload before a night out and give encouragement to drinking in open spaces from cans and bottles by underage drinkers.

It would be impossible to reverse this trend now and i am afraid it is left to individual self control/education and heavier penalities for being drunk in public.

Withdrawing licences from clubs that allow customers in that are already drunk or serving when someone has had enough may be another idea.

The pub landlord used to police his own house like this in years gone by-why cant the modern establishments do this with all the security/bouncers they now employ?

It is still an offence for a licensee, or his servant to serve or provide alcohol to an already intoxicated person. The modern establishements ignore this in pursuit of their god, 'profit'. What is needed is much more closer supervision by police and more of a willingness to take licenses away from establishments perceived to be at fault.

You are so right - I can't understand why more positive action is not taken at an earlier stage rather than letting it all spill out onto the streets.

In the old days as a sergeant in the 'old bill' we used to make routine visits to licensed premises to ensure the laws were being complied with.

I am a bit Jenkyll and Hyde as far as this subject is concerned since I spent a career of which a fair part was dealing with the downside of booze, from accidents to disturbances, domestics and picking up drunks who wre too far gone to look after themselves.

At the same time, we as police officers were not averse to a few bevvies and at that time a lot of the police stations had their own social clubs on the premises where we could imbibe particularly after a 2pm to 10 pm shift, so I experienced both sides.

To ban alcohol would lead to a similar situation to that of the prohibition in the states and would give rise, support and succour to a lot of criminal gangs, so we do not want to go down that road again.

The problem is these days is that there are certain people who have no shame in getting absolutely wasted and puking up over the pavement - what we need is a gradual campaign to educate the public into realising the worst aspects of drunkeness are not cool and ceratinly not acceptable - over a period of time this has worked quite well with drink/driving and alas with smoking too.

Laws relating to drunkeness and licensing are already in existance, so these need to be applied - no more excursions to the local A & E in the case of drunk and incapables but a night in a smelly drunk cell at the local nick, subject to any life threatening complications, which don't happen that often.

The licensees etc of establishments to be aware of their responsibilies and run them in a well ordered way and generally the public as a whole to show that they are no longer willing to tolerate drunken behaviour.

Basically this behaviour has developed more over the last couple of decades and it is because we have allowed it.

Absolutely, it staggers me that we haven't been more stringent with already-existing laws regarding drunken anti-social behaviour.

Ultimately we have really gone a long way down the "legislate for idiots rather than against them" route, searching for the most effective ways of making the minority spoil it for everyone else rather than the most effective ways of curbing the minority's misbehaviour. The narrowing of acceptable ID to just driving licence and passport to legislate for the few idiots who forge other forms of ID is a strong case in point, and there have been other examples. I suppose we would eventually curb drunken abusive behaviour but this "legislating for idiots" policy will always require a large amount of responsible freedom to be sacrificed before we make significant inroads against misbehaviour.

Clamping down squarely on the most prominent offenders would require little, if any, erosion of responsible people's freedoms as well as tackling the problem more directly.