Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

Should Alcohol Be Banned?

Of course it shouldnt be banned but there has to be more firm laws with offenses regarding alcohol especially as far as drink driving is concerned. Although it may sound strong, a drink driver should always be sent into prison regardless if they just got caught with being over the limit. Obviously the higher over the limit, the more severe the punishment should be and I feel if the laws were tougher then we will see less drink driving related deaths on our roads.

In terms of general society, I could not care less if people like to go on the lash or are just a typical constant daytime drinker, they decide to go down that route and they will face the consequences with their health in later life or if there drunkeness leads them to trouble with the police.

It might sound boring but I don't drink all that often and when I do, I tend to avoid getting too drunk, don't see the point in people getting drunk but maybe I'm living in the past.

...., they decide to go down that route and they will face the consequences with their health in later life.

The problem is in many cases they DONT decide. Frequently addiction is a disease not a lifestyle choice. For whatever reason once in it's grips it's very very hard for some people to break free. One of most common professions to become alcoholics are Doctors, who should know better but may initially turn to drink to combat the stress and trauma of their jobs. Police and people in similar professions are also prone to fall victim for the same reasons.

Well it is part of our culture since farming began so no is the answer, it gives a lot of pleasure and is a bonus we have on this rock of ours that our ancestors handed down to us. However it used to be harder to get your hands on.

It has become far too cheap and advertising far to persuasive. I mean the advertising doesn't show the bad side and my word is there bad sides, look at the beatings, violence against women, mistakes, and deaths and lost lives and failures at work. Tonight at Christmas parties people will be sacked as a result :smilz38:

I beleive it should be twice the price and advertising banned. I am convinced of that. And before anyone says this is tough on the poor, well I say get a pay rise.

I don't think it should be banned, afterall it's up to the person whether they drink it. if they do drink too much, all of the time they will feel the consequences of doing so, and quite rightly too.

This will go down like a lead balloon I'm sure but if someone suffers health problems at the hands of alcohol then they've asked for it, and probably deserve it - it's well advertised how damaging alcohol is for your health if you consume too much.

Also it's unlikely but all it takes is a small glass of beer to give you alcohol poisoning - it's very unlikely to happen though.

I don't drink alcohol anymore but I used to, but even then I drank it seldomly, but since quitting completely I feel better for it!

I don't think it should be banned, afterall it's up to the person whether they drink it. if they do drink too much, all of the time they will feel the consequences of doing so, and quite rightly too.

This will go down like a lead balloon I'm sure but if someone suffers health problems at the hands of alcohol then they've asked for it, and probably deserve it - it's well advertised how damaging alcohol is for your health if you consume too much.

Also it's unlikely but all it takes is a small glass of beer to give you alcohol poisoning - it's very unlikely to happen though.

I don't drink alcohol anymore but I used to, but even then I drank it seldomly, but since quitting completely I feel better for it!

I have often thought would I stop drinking. For instance I never ever drink on a week night. However I have to have a drink, even at home on a Friday night. To such an extent that a few weeks ago I had a dentists appointment early on a Saturday and decided not to have a drink, like usual 2 or 3. I must say it was hard and I felt I was making a sacrifice, so then it dawned on me, that given the right circumstances I might become dependent. however truth is I was never able to drink heavily as I get drunk very quickly and suffer terrible hangovers and need a week before I'd even smell it again without feeling ill. But as I get older I can see the attraction to a few drinks, not drunk but on hovering there, so many people live their lives that way and never admit it to themselves, like a couple of glasses a night of wine.

In many cases they haven't asked for it or deserve it. Addiction is a cruel killer that claims many innocent victims who never intend to become addicted...like any drug the body can become dependant on it all too often without knowing before it's too late but I'm not going to preach...... Sadly I'm too close to knowing a real death to be impartial.

But I still don't think it should be banned.

Everything in moderation.

Cheers :drinks:

Well prohibition worked a treat in the US between 1920-33. Made fortune for the crooks including Joe Kennedy so legend goes.

I think we have a significant cultural problem with alcohol. There is often a lot of peer pressure to get drunk on a night out, and a popular belief that you can't have a good night out without getting drunk, and that going out to the pub means getting drunk- this is especially dominant among 18-21 year olds but it also persists during adulthood. Most people recognise that it is possible to have a great night out with just two or three pints, reaching the so-called "tipsy" stage and going no further, but it just isn't "cool" to restrain oneself like that. I know this all too well, having adopted that restrained approach throughout the past decade and having had to resist a lot of peer pressure along the way.

The government's "solution" has been to clamp down against underage drinking with "Challenge 25" and the "mandatory driving licence/passport for ID" scheme. It probably has succeeded in reducing the rate of underage drinking, but its effectiveness at stopping underage drinkers is probably negatively related to how troublesome the underage drinkers were in the first place (i.e. the 15-17 year old addicts find workarounds). One negative upshot of this is that if you are partially sighted (and thus ineligible for a provisional driving licence) you may be barred entry to pubs unless you take your passport everywhere with you. Yes, I've also been finding this one out the hard way in recent years.

I can foresee a ban on alcohol perhaps making inroads against the "casual" binge drinkers, but not the hardcore ones who would most likely go underground, rather like the underground smuggling of high-order drugs. I don't imagine that a blanket ban on alcohol will come into place anytime soon, but the following quote springs to mind (thanks to Tim B for bringing it up in an earlier thread, it's a problem that gets around a lot):

The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.

Alcohol could effectively be banned over a period of time via a series of small, almost imperceptible, restrictions, each serving to penalise responsible drinkers and make only marginal inroads, at best, against alcohol abuse.

I think we have a significant cultural problem with alcohol. There is often a lot of peer pressure to get drunk on a night out, and a popular belief that you can't have a good night out without getting drunk, and that going out to the pub means getting drunk- this is especially dominant among 18-21 year olds but it also persists during adulthood. Most people recognise that it is possible to have a great night out with just two or three pints, reaching the so-called "tipsy" stage and going no further, but it just isn't "cool" to restrain oneself like that. I know this all too well, having adopted that restrained approach throughout the past decade and having had to resist a lot of peer pressure along the way.

I can relate to this. It was never enough at university to drink to a desirable level; apparently you have to get wasted, make a show of yourself, maybe forget the whole night and feel awful the next day to have a good time. Not to mention how unenjoyable the desired venues for drinking tend to be.

And, no.

heeelo. waht yea tolking abwot inn hearr them.

Naw, yesh andd maibee.

Anyboodi bean inta tha sttoorn fread wil knaw wi tha drinnck is neadead.

And I'm stone cold sober, honest! :acute:

Yes, it does cause no end of issues and maybe raising the legal age of consumption could be an option.

No, I don't think it needs banning but education of the young (right up to the legal age) of its effects has to be stepped up.

Why people turn to drink is another topic again. :help: I lost a brother to suicide earlier this year, but have I hit the bottle permanently. errr. no!

Stress can and is handled in many different ways, not simply by hitting the bottle or doing drugs or by beating innocent people up, in order to deal with it. Arggh, but that is the Eastenders way, I hear you say. :aggressive:

I just wish society was more mature at times, but there you go. :80:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

NO NO NO how on earth would I ever get through all the ups and downs of netweather with "will I get snow?????" won't I get snow??????, this is what gets me through all these ups and downs :drinks:

LOL.....why ask such a question? People drink alcohol because they enjoy it, so why take away peoples choice to enjoy a drink?

Whats next? Ban eating juicy steaks because it gives people cholestorol and heart problems?

If this thread has been inspired the 'Coalition''s cack-handed plan to raised the minimum price per unit, I am not at all surprised.

The government's plan will merely make alcohol consumption another preserve of the better-off - no surprise there then; banning the stuff would simply create more openings for illegal hooch-manufacture...

Yes if it had not been around for such a long time already it would not be allowed if it was invented today, but the same is true of many things we take for granted in our every day lives today such as the car and the bus.

You think these things would make it on to the market if they was invented today with how worried people are of farting for fear of soiling themselves?

Dream on.

If this thread has been inspired the 'Coalition''s cack-handed plan to raised the minimum price per unit, I am not at all surprised.

The government's plan will merely make alcohol consumption another preserve of the better-off - no surprise there then; banning the stuff would simply create more openings for illegal hooch-manufacture...

Pete, I know how passionate you are, but I have to break it to you sometime that not everything is inspired by, how do you say it? ....."Flashman's" coalition or for the preserves of the better off! :rolleyes:

I think you need to look North of Border and the SNP led devolved parliament for the first proposed introduction of minimum pricing in the Union. (I know there are a lot of land owning, grouse shooting toffs in Scotland but I don't think they have quite that much influence in Holyrood.) :whistling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15526726

All drugs (no matter how strong) should be legalised and carefully regulated. I'd make sure there were campaigns to advise against taking them or maybe banning them in public - but not in private homes or designated businesses as a personal choice.

I'm a moderate drinker and enjoy the relaxing happy attitude that a few beers give me, so no is the answer from me.

So, minimum alcohol pricing is about to be announced today. What do we all think? Will it work? Has minimum pricing done-away with Scotland's binge culture?

So, minimum alcohol pricing is about to be announced today. What do we all think? Will it work? Has minimum pricing done-away with Scotland's binge culture?

It was only passed by Holyrood 9 days ago. Incidentally, with the support of the Libs and Tories. Labour abstained; they oppose or abstain on every SNP bill in general.

I enjoy a pint or two - won't affect me as I buy decent beer. You'd really need to be on the paint stripper to see price increases I'd imagine.

Fer gawd's sake stop moaning and make your own for pennies. Those that are too far gone and can't moderate their own drinking to sensible levels will be in no state to engage in such a noble pursuit - job done. Yes - ban alcohol sales for all I care.

Fer gawd's sake stop moaning and make your own for pennies. Those that are too far gone and can't moderate their own drinking to sensible levels will be in no state to engage in such a noble pursuit - job done. Yes - ban alcohol sales for all I care.

I have 3 good sized apple trees in the garden. Problem is, I'm not keen on cider.