Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Unknown Cloud Type Seen 13/12/11 In Sparsholt, Hampshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Hiya

I saw these clouds this afternoon and I have no idea what they are. My tutor seemed to think they were something "rare" but I have no idea so if someone with more knowledge could let me know what they're called I'd be very grateful. Unfortunately I didn't have a proper camera with me so had to use my phone camera but hopefully they're still identifiable. I did look on the Met Office "Cloud Types" pdf but I couldn't ID them from that.

Cheers

Purplepixii

post-15355-0-66015800-1323798084_thumb.j

post-15355-0-11454200-1323798097_thumb.j

post-15355-0-96511600-1323798113_thumb.j

post-15355-0-34616000-1323798125_thumb.j

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi ,these clouds are called "Scud" or "Fractus" cloud and are not rare. They develop during showery conditions especially thunderstorms and basically is moisture rising from the ground cooling and forming these clouds.....Thats my take on it anyway!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yep, I'd say he was right.

Although, if there are any factories around, it could be some kind of smoke or chemical cloud.

The higher cloud looks like rain bearing stratocumulus, whilst those below are pannus, also called fractus which are fragments of stratus often found beneath the main cloud. They are usually situated at below 1000 feet and often just a few hundred feet in altitude.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Hi ,these clouds are called "Scud" or "Fractus" cloud and are not rare. They develop during showery conditions especially thunderstorms and basically is moisture rising from the ground cooling and forming these clouds.....Thats my take on it anyway!!

Not moisture ( rain) falling from the Cb then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Thankyou all for the answers. These clouds were just so dark, fast moving and started apart but joined together pretty much as I watched them and I was fascinated - I may well have seen them in the past but since I discovered this forum I'm seeing a lot of "everyday" things with a different eye. Talk about a constant learning curve!