Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Kind Of Winter Would You Prefer!

Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

All three. :p

Generally I see the most snow in Jan and Feb when the Irish Sea seems to be most active.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Best time for snow overall for me - the run up to chrismas like we saw in 2009 - superb. So the second half of december as opposed to the first half, mainly because of christmas and also because we have the darkest days.

Late Jan/Early feb - rather than just in jan or feb, always think of this period as mid winter - christmas has long passed away and it is generally the most miserable time of year - if we see a snowy plunge around then it keeps my spirits up. Whilst daylight is increasing it is still preety dark, the sun is still very weak, and temps generally are at there coldest.

A northerly in March is always good fun as well..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

January - coldest month, little daylight, snow tends to stick around longer, coldest temperatures generally occur here

February - February is often snowier then January, and often colder then January, especially at night

December - snow is generally less common in December then the other two winter months and nowhere near as cold

The idea is what you would prefer rather then what happens generally

Another question I guess is would you choose

4 week cold snap snow on ground or

4 individual weeks over the winter with snow on ground

Im on the fence with that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

That's what my post meant.. January sees snow for longer then any other winter month here and is generally better for deep cold then December or February.

I think I'd take 4 indivindual weeks over the winter with snow on the ground, one in December, two in January and one in February.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and Deepest darkest snows of Winter

I prefer the last week of Jan and first week of Feb. Makes it memorable. Then any weather pattern other than prolonged drizzle that I grew up with on Exmoor! Never stopped raining - we called my local town (Bampton), Dampton, which was about right.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Would probably prefer to get cold and snow during Dec as i love Dec because of xmas and all that so last Dec was great,although i preferred the timing of the cold spell mid Dec 2009- Mid Jan 2010.

Getting a cold spell during the second half of Jan would be great which would be something to look forward to after xmas,theres nothing much to look forward to around that time of year other then the hope of some cold and snow.

I would probably prefer 4 separate cold spells rather then one long one.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

For me december and jan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would go for 4 to 6 notable cold spells spread through the three main winter months, with one lasting about a fortnight and incorporating the "twelve days of Christmas", and the others lasting 3 to 7 days each. This would still leave about 50 days of the winter quarter reserved for other types of weather. I mentioned that for me, blustery showery Pm-dominated west to south-westerlies and bright frosty anticyclones would ideally feature regularly, but I forgot about that rare (for winter) combination of warm anticyclonic/southerly types and bright sunshine, with temperatures often in double figures by day and falling close to freezing overnight. I would want at least the odd interlude that was reminiscent of the period 8-20 February 2008.