Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Kind Of Winter Would You Prefer!

Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I was considering putting yes for lots of rain because of the drought speculation and a drought is not good :|

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

What if I want lots of sunshine, very much average weather, with lots of snow, lots of rain and lots of hail, and if I wanted precip amounts above average? What would I say?

Posted

With my outdoor work I would prefer it to be dry most of the time, like today would be pretty good ; plenty of sunshine, a frosty morning and cold enough

to make a winter temperature wise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

3 months of NE'ly winds and day after day of snow showers. New Years Day 2010 every day of the winter. Or maybe 25-30th Nov 2010. Actually, 1979 sounds nice too, lots of different types of snow events, including that 50cm fall Newcastle had in March :)

Edited by alza

Posted

For me 'A cold winter with lots of snow' is closest I think. I would want quite a lot of snow and cold, at least a few frosty High pressure spells, perhaps giving very low minima over the snow, but also above average sunshine amounts and probably average or above average precipitation.

I also wouldn't mind a few milder/warmer spells but not lasting too long (and preferably not any spells of a few days or more of mild weather), and a few windy/very windy spells from Atlantic lows/storms wouldn't go amiss either (with or without snow)

If we don't have snow then I would like changeable/active Atlantic weather with possibly some high wind/rain events and a reasonable amount of polar maritime air giving sunshine and showery days, and a few frosty highs with sunny days.

A mixed nearer average winter with a few decent channel lows giving snow here would be quite good too.

My most disliked weather in winter is a Euro High close to the south with endless mild cloudy days and nights with most or all interest going to the north (wind, rain, showers, sun etc).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

To be honest, I'd take any winter which delivers at least one significant snowfall, and the only winters which haven't here in my memory are 2006/07 and 2007/08, though 2008 had a few cm in January and again over Easter, and I actually had 10cm where I was in the Lake District. So 2006/07 was my only snowless winter with a maximum depth of under 2cm.

Edited by alza

Posted

I think a happy medium between snowy NE/E'rly weather and battleground scenarios moving in to top up reservoirs in the South, which will please almost everyone :)

Obviously this can't happen until things improve stratospherically though...

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looks like a snow free Dec and first half of Jan at least for the south, so I just hope it's dry, dosent look too wet luckily with fronts whizzing by so quickly, rain for 2 hours then dry

worst setup is endless rain with lows (or same low) meandering around the UK for days

I voted for a cold winter with lots of snow but there are two other choices that are a very close second and third for me.

I want a cold winter with lots of snow but i think what we will get is a near average/slightly above winter with near average slightly below average rainfall and sunshine slightly below average, the most boring to be honest :)

I would prefer a short sharp cold dry sub zero winter with one or two good snow storms to make sculptured drifts but in between time lovely blue sky and sunshine to be followed by a spring with rapidly rising temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

"A cold winter with lots of snow" is the only option out of the above that would produce a match for me, though I would prefer a mix of warm and cold spells (some cold spells delivered by NW/N/NE/E winds, some warmer showery SW/W spells dominated by polar maritime and returning polar maritime air, and some bright frosty anticyclonic spells) with enough gaps between the really snowy spells to prevent the "partial thaw and refreeze leading to solid ice" issue. However by UK standards that sort of varied winter would still fall under the "cold with lots of snow" banner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

A cold winter with plenty of snow, obviously.

However, I would like one or two thaws, that deliver copious amounts of rain with little sunshine, before returning to cold and snowy with a mixture of sunshine and cloud.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Mostly mild and sunny with the odd week or so long spell of icy cold and snow.

However we need rain (especially this year) so it's best time to fall is during winter when it isn't evaporated away nor spoiling everyones summertime fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Talk of potential real wide spread cold in January, what winter month would you prefer that to happen, assuming you can choose one winter month only.

For me

December 8/10

-------------

I love the idea of white christmas but that can lead to travel chaos over the festive period

Daylight short

January 7/10

----------------

Always good if December has been mild

Feb 5/10

-----------

Even though Feb 86 which was great always worry re increasing day light / suns strength etc

If I had to choose 4 weeks it would be 23/12/ to 22/1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Talk of potential real wide spread cold in January, what winter month would you prefer that to happen, assuming you can choose one winter month only.

For me

December 8/10

-------------

I love the idea of white christmas but that can lead to travel chaos over the festive period

Daylight short

January 7/10

----------------

Always good if December has been mild

Feb 5/10

-----------

Even though Feb 86 which was great always worry re increasing day light / suns strength etc

If I had to choose 4 weeks it would be 23/12/ to 22/1

I would broadly agree with you, being located in one of the milder areas of the country February becomes quite marginal unless the airmass is very cold as the strength of the sun and increasing daylight all puts pressure on lying snow.

Edited by windswept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Mostly mild with frequent southwesterly gales. Occasional HP dominated spells and snowy northerlies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I Prefer January to get snow, but with a cold spell around xmas time, february has been a snowy month here in 2007,2008,2009 so aslong as i get snow, im happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I voted for a cold snowy winter, dry and cold is OK but its snow that really gets me excited.

Posted

For me:

1. December

REASON: Makes Christmas feel more special and Xmas makes snow more special and it would create a fantastic mood throughout the build to Xmas and the Christmas period. Also the daylight and atmosphere and feel of the land feels better.

2. January

REASON: Just after Christmas, still quite dark, and cold perhaps more intense. Good subsitute for December.

3. February

REASON: Still very good but it longer days means more snow melt and doesn't feel quite as wintry as in December. Still a big freeze in any winter month is great but December you can't really beat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

January - coldest month, little daylight, snow tends to stick around longer, coldest temperatures generally occur here

February - February is often snowier then January, and often colder then January, especially at night

December - snow is generally less common in December then the other two winter months and nowhere near as cold