Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Polar Maritime Air And Low Lying Snow For South

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Somebody may be able to back me up with the exact time period however i do remember that there was an attempt (which did produce some snow here) of cold zonality in either January 2009 or 2008.

Posted

Somebody may be able to back me up with the exact time period however i do remember that there was an attempt (which did produce some snow here) of cold zonality in either January 2009 or 2008.

I remember that? Are you sure it wasn't those big dumps of snow we got in february '08?

But I do remember the charts showing snow coming in from the northwest, through the Cheshire gap to here.

This morning's charts look good enough for snow throughout most of the uk at some point during the 0z run, even at low levels?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z seems to be giving an idea of a 5th Jan 1998 setup, (post #14) polar maritime air and a low tracking south around 6th Dec, although still FI, maybe too early in season though for low level snow, 12Z places it too far south, but still FI

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I can't access any such data on Trevor Harley's Site.

Check this link. http://www.personal....ther_months.htm or this one by year.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/britweather_years.htm

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

January 2009 had a close approach, with sleety showers as far south as Exeter but no widespread accumulations at low levels. Glasgow is well positioned to get snowfalls from these setups, especially if you have a bit of elevation- I remember that the Glasgow area also got quite heavily hit on the 16th February 2000, even down to sea level:

http://www.wetterzen...00120000216.gif

At Cleadon, where December 1999 produced numerous wet snowfalls but no significant accumulations (a statistic which also held true for most other parts of England and Wales), the 16th February 2000 event produced the only significant lying snow of the whole 1999/2000 season, as showers merged into a longer spell of snow and kept a surprising amount of intensity after crossing the Pennines. Wet sleety snow fell for about an hour, but eventually it turned cold enough for accumulations on the ground, which got up to a few centimetres. There were also snowfalls in north-west England, with snow showers across the Cheshire Gap overnight 16th/17th, and parts of Northern Ireland also got heavy snowfalls. It was already much milder by the afternoon of the 17th, however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

dont think I had any that day, 16th Feb 2000, winds look a bit westerly like 20th Dec 09, snow was most likely north of here