Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

I'm so sick of never having snowy breakdowns, these Scandi highs either kill off weather fronts before they reach here and allow mild air to slowly seep in or as in this weeks case the lows crash through with their mild air and not a flake in sight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I should point out that just because the weather is mild, it will not necessarily follow that ther will be floods of biblical proportions as some of you seem to think.

I never said that - but I'm just saying that wetter months are usually accompanied by milder weather in winter ala January 2008 and November 2009 (not a winter month, but a good example nonetheless).
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I like a huge bug snowstorm! lol I can't lie...Either that or a huge big windstorm! lol I hate boring weather, i'm just being honest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I like a huge bug snowstorm! lol I can't lie...Either that or a huge big windstorm! lol I hate boring weather, i'm just being honest!

A bug snowstorm? http://forum.nwstatic.co.uk//public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.png

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Ah ha TwisterGirl, isn't a huge big snowstorm or a huge big windstorm just as much a threat to homes and/or human life as the wet and windy weather I have been accused of liking? I too am being honest and I think there is far more danger with cold weather than there is with mild. People don't put their heating on because of the cost and simply wrap up warm but this might be heading off towards a political rant about gas and electrcity prices so probably not for this thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Look on the bright side there is a huge high pressure over siberia at the moment. It will be a battleground between the mild air and the cold air over western Russia this weekend. If Hopefully the cold wins then the cold air probably arrive here in time for christmas.

Otherwise if the mild weather Sticks with us until the new year then I would hoping for the weather to be very stormy and very wet. Love these types of weather.Posted Image But love the cold weather more than the mild weather because usually the mild weather often brings boring weather but sometimes it is rare to bring stormy weather with it. Stormy weather is the only thing I like for mild weather. But on the other hand I like the cold weather more because it Often brings frost most of the time and most of the times more common than stormy weather. Snow is as rare as stormy weather though but I think snow as an 'cold counterpart' to mild weather.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Ah ha TwisterGirl, isn't a huge big snowstorm or a huge big windstorm just as much a threat to homes and/or human life as the wet and windy weather I have been accused of liking? I too am being honest and I think there is far more danger with cold weather than there is with mild. People don't put their heating on because of the cost and simply wrap up warm but this might be heading off towards a political rant about gas and electrcity prices so probably not for this thread!

Had you made your original "woo-hoo milder weather coming" post, with a dry mild spell forthcoming, I would not have said a bloody word about it. What got my hackles up was that you seemed to be crowing about a change in the weather which will be bringing a lot of rain with it....which, unless you have been living on Mars for the last month, you will be aware is the last thing we in the West and especially the South West of the UK need or want right now.

Say all you like about saving on fuel bills, etc etc, but the fact of the matter is this....more rain = more flooding = more misery for those who will suffer....not a pleasant prospect in the run up to Christmas is it?

Posted

You're lucky to live in the North Fresh Prince....we hardly ever get snow here :( 2010/11 winter was an exception and very welcome by me.

Yes I like storms to, bring on the storms, tiles flying off roofs and branches etc....Although I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt though, just like a good storm!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I think that if you don't have to travel far, your roads are gritted and you can afford to heat your home, then you will enjoy snow. I enjoy a few days but a month like December 2010 became a nightmare for us. The road through the village was never gritted and my car was hit by a sliding tractor & trailer. Christmas night it got down to near -20c and the dairy on the farm was frozen solid, hubby didn't get in until nearly lunchtime. We spent weeks trying to break ice on water troughs and keep pipes working so the cattle had water. Even my children ended up hating it as friends couldn't get to us and it was difficult for us to get anywhere.

I have family who have to travel for their jobs so snow and ice can be a real headache for them. I love watching the snow come down, watching a thunderstorm out of a window and find the weather fascinating but I'm also very aware of how it effects other people. If the snow rampers get their wish and we have piles of snow then I hope that they are the first to check on the vulnerable and elderly people near to them.

Posted

All types of weather are dangerous and I would always check on elderly neighbours but I don't have any and I would help the elderly if needed!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

What's going on with the Met offices winter updates. Their first call for the winter was slightly below average winter temperatures for the UK then they updated it recently to below average temperatures and now their latest winter forecast states above normal temperatures. Have they ever been so undecided in the past..? I just don't get it. Back to the old days of forecasting is the best bet far to much reliance on deterministic modelling and mathematical madness.

Edited by NL
  • Like 2

Posted
i'm not paying attention to hardly any of then anymore, I had faith in them but now most of them get it wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

No, it isn't. There is a Serious Discussion forum, and I believe there is a thread for energy prices - which is the perfect place to vent your frustrations. They're aired by many, but leave the weather forum to the weather, aye?

I live in an area that has many elderly people, but most are pretty affluent and all but one or two drive cars, so I assume they will cope just fine with any severe cold outbreak, but I will check on them - I know them, and consider them friends.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i my self enjoy a good snow event and no i dnt like mild weather winter and i agree with most on here the sw dnt need anymore rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

evening everyone, so whats everynones thought on the next 72 hours? i personally think here in kent im going to miss everything if there is anything to be missed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't see any scope for snow in Norwich this week (having gone down there for a few days)- a shame as I'd looked forward to messing about in the snow with the students at the UEA, but on the plus side I should get back home more easily this Friday as a result.

As for the mild vs. cold arguments, I do sympathise with those who are interested in the weather but not too fussed on snow, given the strong prevalence of snow lovers on this forum (and also many other communities of weather enthusiasts). However, I don't have a lot of time for the arguments re. suppressing enjoyment/desire for a certain type of weather because of the disruption and inconvenience caused- the last couple of pages illustrate how that argument just goes around in circles! We have, in fairness, set up a couple of model output discussion-related threads for those who are interested in weather types other than snow.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Wooo Hooo! Milder weather on the way. My winter emotion is veeery happy at the moment. My heating bills will stop rocketing, I'll stop freezing my preverbials off waiting for trains and buses and, most important of all, it means the people in the care home I work in won't be put at risk. Some of the cold lovers in here should take a few minutes to think of those us who HAVE to get to work regardless of the weather because the people we are responsible for would not survive without constant care and attention. What would you think or feel if it was your elderly family member in a home where no staff could get in, there was always the risk of pipes freezing and/or heating breaking down. I know that cold lovers have as much control over the weather as us mild/hot lovers - absolutely zilch! Nevertheless I'm really pleased the weather is turning milder. Rant over!

Nice to see i'm not the only one not revelling in this cold weather of late. Bright sunny days with next to no wind is fine because at 2/3c it can still feel pleasant enough. Its those dull raw windy days where your face seizes up when you walk into the wind that i detest. Thankfully there havent been too many days like that.

Posted

I agree TWS. I only posted my response because this thread is for winter emotions and moaning and when I saw the various forecasts and model projections this morning it cheered me up hence my happy emotion. My intention was not to wind others up because, and I'm only guessing here, everyone who uses and posts on Netweather has a weather preference be it cold or hot, rain or snow etc, etc, etc.

I am a complete novice when it comes to the weather but watch it avidly and I'm trying to understand more all the time which is why I spend probably a few hours every week looking at Netweather and loads of the forums to try and continue to learn. If therefore I have caused offence to anyone, I apologise cos it was not my intention.

As a heat lover, I will go back into hibernation now until perhaps April when no doubt we can look forward to another great British Summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

@Fendermaestro...of course it is dangerous but I am young and enjoy the snow and think it's magical....I do not enjoy all the rain that comes with the mild weather you talk that brings wind and rain that drowns people and ruins livlihoods, also mjild weather in winter does not kill bugs which as I am SURE you understand is not very benificial to the elderly people you care....

Yes well I'm not too stupid and have a job that I can walk to even in bad weather so I don't have that to use as an excuse for a snow day!!!

Cold weather doesn't actually kill bugs, under a certain temperature they become inactive. Extreme heat kills bugs. If the cold killed bugs then we wouldn't have winter flus and colds, winter vomiting virus and I might not have had bacterial pneumonia just over a week ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nice to see i'm not the only one not revelling in this cold weather of late. Bright sunny days with next to no wind is fine because at 2/3c it can still feel pleasant enough. Its those dull raw windy days where your face seizes up when you walk into the wind that i detest. Thankfully there havent been too many days like that.

Your post reminds me a lot of January and March 1996- while those months both had a brief snowy interlude, my main association with them is days on end of grey drizzly weather, temps of 3-4C and a biting south-easterly wind. Other than a spell around mid-January 2010, and mid to late December 2010 in south-east England, such weather has been lacking in recent cold winters, perhaps due to the dominance of blocking around Greenland rather than Scandinavia.

Posted

Well it may only be the 12th December but I think I've seen enough to have a pretty good idea as to where Winter 2012/13 is heading and that is mild! I could and very much hope that I'm wrong but the trends have definately taken a negative turn and most/all long range models are now pointing towards a mild season with high pressure to the south dominating. Even the strat doesn't look as promising now. I feel that Winter 2012/13 will be memorable for being a major let down! Everything seems to be going against us now.....

I'm tempted to take a break from this and come back in mid Jan. That won't happen though. Old habits die hard!

EDIT: Just to add that perhaps us cold lovers shouldn't feel too dispondent as it's not as if the hot summer lovers have had much joy during the last 5 years!

Edited by Don

Posted

when people say its only december 12th, that shouldn't mean we have until feb 28th to salvage our winter, i would like winter to be spread out over three months if possible and even if we got a decent two week cold spell in feb and the rest of this winter was mild with no snow people would still say it was a crap winter,

last year it was very cold here in early feb but overall winter was still a big let down according to most

Posted

i don't expect the atlantic to barrel through totally, what might happen is the usual NW/SE split courtesy of a pressure rise to the south, the usual plain old bog standard synoptics zzzzzzz

and what do we have showing in the models for next week, yep the azores high ridging in, a very common synoptic pattern, even zonal gets downgraded sometimes, i bet it won't rain that much in the east next week, even though the charts show rain crossing the UK, GFS FI cranks up the vortex but i bet pressure stays high over the south of the UK, a truly dreadful but familiar pattern, what a borefest

of course not 100% guaranteed to come off like currently progged but the models don't get this pattern wrong that often

are we still in a "better position compared to this time last year" as people keep saying ?

Edited by Snowy Easterlies